Looking For a New 1/2Ton

Buddha.

Finally in expo white.
Spoiled society when a 325 HP and what like 350 torque?? Engine in a 5500# truck is the "grocery getter".

Honestly I sound more and more like an old man every day when I say, remember in the early 2000s when your large V8 3/4 ton could tow 10000lbs with a maybe 300 HP engine?
And now a base model half ton with a natural aspirated V6 tows 7k and also has 300 HP and almost literally any optional motor is pushing 400 HP and there are plenty of combos rated for towing near or above 10k?

Like look at the engine choice in Nissan, 385+ HP in a big ole V8.
Ram? Choose a 300 HP V6 for free or upgrade to a 390HP Hemi.
Even GM, who hates you and wants to remind you how much it despises you every day, couple V8s from 350-400 HP.
Ford offering 290-400+ HP.
Oh yeah and everything paired to 6-10 speed transmissions.
It's a time to be alive and any modern half ton can do anything a half ton has any business doing.

I chose Ford because of the price point I can get the features I want, and I also want the reduced corrosion of aluminum in my next trucks.
I'd drive a Nissan Titan Pro-4x and probably enjoy it (sure looks nice and power is good) just feel the price point is too high and I don't want a crew cab.
2009-19 Ram is a nice truck. I'd drive a Hemi or even a Pentastar quad cab.
My new work truck is a quad cab ram with the 3.6. It doesn’t feel any slower than the 3.5l Tacoma it replaced, or my 2500 6.0 gasser(360hp,380tq).
They all feel about the same 0-60, I couldn’t tell you which one is fastest.

Towing though, more low rpm torque would be nice. I’ve spent eight hours straight towing into a 25mph headwind, 4,000 rpm trying to maintain the speed limit. Not fun.

Martinjmpr

Wiffleball Batter
The only sound I want to hear while driving my truck is whatever I have playing on the stereo. Otherwise, I want SILENCE.

Same for me.

One of the things I really like about my F-150 is how quiet it is. Wife has a 2016 Honda CR-V and while it's a nice, comfortable car, it's NOISY. Drives me crazy when we have to go somewhere that requires long highway drives. My F-150 is so much quieter and more enjoyable.

Loud engines? Eh, been there, done that. Don't feel the need to impress anyone with my exhaust noise. Between 23 years of listening to military aircraft noise (C-130's aren't known for their plush cabin accommodations), driving 2 1/2 ton and 5 ton trucks, riding motorcycles, gunfire and loud heavy metal music (hey, it was the 80's...) I have enough hearing loss already, I don't need to add to it.

deserteagle56

Adventurer
Same for me.

One of the things I really like about my F-150 is how quiet it is. Wife has a 2016 Honda CR-V and while it's a nice, comfortable car, it's NOISY. Drives me crazy when we have to go somewhere that requires long highway drives. My F-150 is so much quieter and more enjoyable.

Loud engines? Eh, been there, done that. Don't feel the need to impress anyone with my exhaust noise. Between 23 years of listening to military aircraft noise (C-130's aren't known for their plush cabin accommodations), driving 2 1/2 ton and 5 ton trucks, riding motorcycles, gunfire and loud heavy metal music (hey, it was the 80's...) I have enough hearing loss already, I don't need to add to it.

Ditto for me. They didn't issue ear protection to us at the Aberdeen Proving Grounds or Camp Pendleton or in Vietnam...but strangely enough, my ears have gotten much more sensitive to loud noise in the past 15 years or so. These days, if I'm working on the John Deere or riding my dirt bike or quad I have to wear ear plugs or I'll very quickly get a headache.

Martinjmpr

Wiffleball Batter
Ditto for me. They didn't issue ear protection to us at the Aberdeen Proving Grounds or Camp Pendleton or in Vietnam...but strangely enough, my ears have gotten much more sensitive to loud noise in the past 15 years or so. These days, if I'm working on the John Deere or riding my dirt bike or quad I have to wear ear plugs or I'll very quickly get a headache.

Yeah, I remember being in my 20s and 30s and rolling my eyes at some old dude who raved about how quiet his Caddy or Buick was. I just didn't get it then, but I do now.

It has been awhile since i looked at this thread. Lots of good conversation being had. I was able to test drive a friends tuned* 2020 2.7L Ecoboost and i was definitely impressed, shocked even. It made my 2012 3.5 Ecoboost feel really dated and painfully slow. Looking forward to the new F150 Tremor to come out. If that doesnt impress me i will seriously consider a used 2.7 or another 3.5 Ecoboost.

I did also test drive a 21' Gladiator Rubicon (with the updated steering box, what a difference!). That was a really nice vehicle as well, and if not for the payload restriction would be near the top of my list as well. Food for thought: how EPIC would that little lightweight 2.7l Ecoboost be in a Gladiator?! Heck, how epic is that 2.7l going to be in the Bronco?!

Jacobm

If I were gonna buy a new 1/2 ton, it'd be a 2.7L Ecoboost with either the 36 gallon tank, or perhaps a 42-48 gallon if someone makes one that doesn't compromise clearance too much. Even if I don't NEED it, I love me some range.

nickw

Adventurer
I just decided to pull the trigger on a F150 after looking at several options. Drove a F250 w/7.3, it just seemed like massive overkill for the handful of times I would need it. I've driven modern F150's and they are just so unbelievable nice, quite (as others have pointed out) and reasonably fun to drive.....it's a truck but that 3.5 is really surprising.

I ended up with a 21' F150 XLT, 3.5EB, 3.73's w/locker, 36 gal tank, HDPP (so Crew and 6.5 bed), 360 cameras, vinyl floors, 2kw 'generator' so fairly simple build with a bit of the modern tech. Hoping for payload in the 2300-2400 range.

I opted to not get the FX4 since it's the same price regardless of if you have HDPP, which already comes with rear locker, so what the point? I think the only thing I'm missing out on are the offroad modes. I plan to throw on a minor lift and some 33-34's, figured the $1k FX4 package was better spent on that.

It's awfully strange though, with the HDPP you cannot add two options I really wanted, the package with heated seats (doh!) and color match bumpers. I honestly would have just liked an XL with the black bumpers and trim but you can't get some of the cool tech. I'll see what it takes when I get mine to add a XL front fascia and bumper to get ride of the chrome.

I would have been totally fine with a 2.7 but it does limit some options that I couldn't live without....the 2.7 PP would be a sweet rig.

*Edit - something else to add, based on the reviews of other HDPP trucks, most guys are in the 2300-2500 payload range, the F250 I drove was 2900, so really not THAT far off. Now I know the duty cycle is different between them, but for occasional heavy loads, the HDPP is surprisingly capable relative to its big brother.

Last edited:

Buddha.

Finally in expo white.
*Edit - something else to add, based on the reviews of other HDPP trucks, most guys are in the 2300-2500 payload range, the F250 I drove was 2900, so really not THAT far off. Now I know the duty cycle is different between them, but for occasional heavy loads, the HDPP is surprisingly capable relative to its big brother.
Thats decent payload for a 1/2 ton. My father in laws new 2500 cummins is 2200lbs, and my gasser chevy 2500 is 2800.

Buddha.

Finally in expo white.
I just decided to pull the trigger on a F150 after looking at several options. Drove a F250 w/7.3, it just seemed like massive overkill for the handful of times I would need it. .
Im also considering both a f150 3.5 and f250 7.3.
Surprisingly I can spec them both out the way I want them (xl super cab with some options) and they’re within $1,000 of each other. That’s without the max tow and hdpp on the f150 which is another 8k. The f150 would save me $2k/year in fuel at today’s fuel cost.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ritabooke