Tarp Material and how to attach it to itself.

BritKLR

Kapitis Indagatoris
Go for it.....the only way you'll learn is by doing it. In the early days all my prototypes were sewn from USPS tyvex mailing envelopes...(not sure if that was a federal crime and if there is a statute of limitations in it......!?) before I would spend the money on canvas.

Do you have a pattern for the panels for the tent? If so, make sure to add enough extra material (1-3 inches) on each side and around the perimeter to account for folding or rolling the seam/hem.

Take look at post #3 regarding a lapped seam or flat felling seam for sewing large panels together for strength and weather resistancy.

As for the hem around the the top and base that would attach to the frame, plan on folding the material at least two to three times to strengthen hem, sew both edges of the hem down, like a double hem around the edge of the tarp, this will give you something to sew in velcro or install snaps to attach it to the frame work.

Of course your punching a thousand little holes in your material and it will leak if the seams aren't treated. Tons of info on seam sealers that'll work.

Good luck and have fun!

NatersXJ6

Explorer
Having seen some of the stuff that BritKLR sews, I think you would be hard pressed to find someone with more qualified advice. I like the postal envelope idea, good cheap source for small practice pieces! I might do that. Also the scraps left on a job site, you could probably get enough to pattern a tent just in house off-cuts.

One thing I learned the hard way is to be sure and use UV stabilized thread. The best fabric in the world won’t matter if the sun rots the thread. Then the wind takes it apart in very short order.

BritKLR

Kapitis Indagatoris
As it happens I'm putting together a couple of our large 12 oz waxed canvas tarps now for some customers, so here's a couple of shots of the double folded hem (2, 1 inch folds) with double sewn seam around the entire perimeter of the tarp (also sewn in milspec webbing for carabiner tie downs.)
This technique might be what you could use for the perimeter that attaches to the tent frame work. You could screw the velcro hook onto the frame and sew velcro loop to tarp base or screw male snaps around the base of the tent frame and then press in the female end into the tarp base.

Good luck!E544B4BF-92AC-42EE-9D09-3329E816F0DC.jpegC8A4745F-10CD-4313-85DB-F612AD4F52BA.jpegD36D28DA-E6B5-4144-B69C-21E371B6651D.jpeg8BD466BB-CD3F-4859-8EA0-B0E94730F723.jpeg

Last edited:

dbhost

I'd be concerned about long term durability of polyethylene tarp material. It isn't super UV stable.

Now if you were talking Canvas Tarp material that would be a COMPLETELY different story.

I would check on it, but I believe there are various waterproofers that also include UV blockers that would help at least delay the inevitable.

Unholy

Good evening guys! Thank you all for the replies! So much helpful information.

I watched a video of a guy making a 270 awning, on here. I noticed he used a silver heavy duty tarp for the awning. For me it is just the cost isn't bad. I looked at Canvas, but was under the impression it wasn't waterproof. I looked into the waxed canvas, this could be a very good option. After some of what was said here, $20 a yard for a material when 5-6 yards of material would do it, wouldn't be that much more than the tarps I was considering. My biggest issue, is waterproof seams. My ideas might get lots of laughs, but, I've always had to maximize my outcomes with as little cost as possible. I am resourceful, skilled, and creative... but, what ever I do, I want to do it well. Since I live in Michigan, I know just how brutal our storms can get during camping. I really don't want a leaky tent. The siver heavy duty tarps are coated in UV protective films usually. It was, at a moment, what I seen a couple others use. Making something that can handle the elements is important. I am willing to try anything if I can. As far as Tyvek, where I work, we use Tyvek PPE suits for our nasty chemical work. HCL, Sulfuric, Chrome and Etch.... nasty, nasty stuff. I might have to check into that. I looked at 2 dealers for waxed canvas, there were out of like everything! LOL.

BritKLR, I thank you for the link and your comments. That was a quick eye opener. I looked a bit into waxed canvas, It could work very well. How well does it handle rain? Can in with stand hours of down pours? Your work, is awesome, as is your information. I'll be checking more into this on my days off.

As for patterns, I don't have a pattern yet. My idea is pretty simple. Like most, my RTT will fold in half. The difference is that I was planning on solid sides at the ends. These would allow my material to be attached by using a "L" type trim to clamp the material against the sides of the ends. Some spots at folds, left loose with Velcro inside on the edges of the base. The rest also clamped, but snaps on the bottom. I don't want to give away my whole idea/design or I won't be able to have a interesting build log! Some people, will already visualize this. Yes, my tent will take a few minutes more to set up than those $3.5K fancy units... but, I am fine with that. Currently, other than material on my mind, is the end shapes.

Again, thank you all for the ideas and suggestions!

ottsville

Observer
Go for it.....the only way you'll learn is by doing it. In the early days all my prototypes were sewn from USPS tyvex mailing envelopes...(not sure if that was a federal crime and if there is a statute of limitations in it......!?) before I would spend the money on canvas.

The USPS envelopes say on them "property of USPS and provided solely for use in sending priority mail. Misuse may be a violation of federal law." I have gotten lots of scraps(and kindling wood) from dumpsters on residential job sites.

BritKLR

Kapitis Indagatoris
The USPS envelopes say on them "property of USPS and provided solely for use in sending priority mail. Misuse may be a violation of federal law." I have gotten lots of scraps(and kindling wood) from dumpsters on residential job sites.

Interesting.....must be something new (the interior printing that is...) they used to be blank on the inside years ago. Good to know! Thanks.

krick3tt

Adventurer
I have things made by BritKLR and their/his items are well made and some I have, so far, have lasted years with no visible wear or deterioration.
I post this only because I am a owner of his products.
I have not tried the Tyvec material only because of the noise and through these posts discovered it can be washed with no detrimental effects. Might give that a try next time I make something.

BritKLR

Kapitis Indagatoris
I have things made by BritKLR and their/his items are well made and some I have, so far, have lasted years with no visible wear or deterioration.
I post this only because I am a owner of his products.
I have not tried the Tyvec material only because of the noise and through these posts discovered it can be washed with no detrimental effects. Might give that a try next time I make something.

Thanks! That kind of feedback means a ton to me and the crew!

Unholy

BritKLR, how well does waxed canvas hold up to harsh weather? Is it easy to sew? I have a old Singer sewing machine. I used it when I was a kid for a home-economics class. Back when kids had to learn to balance a check book, cook, repair clothes, do taxes... budget. I made a pair of sweat pants and a fancy banana pillow. Not bragging, but when I was a kid, it was darn difficult to make. It looked sooooo cool! Nevermind that it was also listed as the hardest pillow project for the class. ? I still have it also... LOL. I think I could sew it. The Singer is not light, old, but strong. It is a walking foot type I believe. Is there a special thread I need for waxed canvas, I know it has to be UV stable or resistant. Do I need to add any kind of treatment for seams in order to seal it?

Unholy

I wouldn't know, but at this point, BritKLR and the others have me moving away from the tarp idea all together and moving towards just sewing material they have suggested. I've looked into waxed canvas, the sample I got to smell, didn't have a odor, even having been outside for a while and exposed to the elements. I'm still looking at materials. I tried sewing today, I broke the needle. I took my mom to the fabric store, you know, a big box one... I got needles for heavy duty use, denim, leather and heavy canvas it said. But this is the best part: I go to the sewing area customer service desk. Girl asks if I need help. I said yes and that I was looking for Waxed Canvas. She calls someone, then takes me to a isle way and says, this is all the waxed candles they have. I said, no, WAXED CANVAS. She apologizes and takes me to the back of the store... yup. The painting/art area with canvas covered frames. She tells me I can cover them with wax. I asked her if she knew what it was, she said canvas with wax. Needless to say, NOT ONE of there sewing department employees knew what it was. The late 50's employee who claimed to have sewn it all in her 40+ years of sewing, didn't know what it was. What outside materials they had, was a pretty poor selection. I tried 2 other places, one was 100% fabric and sewing dedicated. The other was a arts and crafts store. Not a single person, knew what it was.I am kind of surprised. Of all the people, a small lady who was very uneasy, approached me and told me I would have to try a marine store, but that most places around don't have it or carry it. And that online would likely be where I need to go. She has not seen any local place with it in stock within about 9-10 months. I tried a few places that make covers for boats, rv's, and tops for vehicles. Non of them had any on hand... two said they never heard of waxed canvas. They gave alternatives, costly ones, or the ones that don't seem to be all that great.

I'm still looking for and at materials. Tonight, I am going to try and sew regular canvas as mentioned by BritKLR to see how well the machine handles it. It's a old 1967 Singer Style-Mate. My mom has a newer Singer featherweight 132 she has never used. I might also try that. The old Singer is pretty heavy. It has years and years of use. The other seems very light weight. I don't know if either will hold up to sewing the canvas.

krick3tt

Adventurer
I checked the Seattle Fabrics site and found nothing in waxed canvas fabric, which really surprised me.
I also checked the Tyvek site and found this. Might be a buy that several people could go in on to make some things.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles