Van penthouse idea

sqrlnts

Has anyone thought of attaching a Tepui Hybox canopy to the top of their van for a penthouse top? I am thinking it wouldn't be "extremely" difficult to fabricate the base to attach the Hybox canopy to the roof of my RB E350. Was also thinking a modular floor could be made to partially enclose for additional sleeping space.

Link to the Hybox Canopy which is currently $640. The 55" wide by 84" long seem like a good fit.

https://tepui.com/products/tepui-hybox-canopy-garage-sale

01HB103_HyBoxBlack_Side__RESIZEDFORWEBghostedfile_1400x.jpg

shenrie

^^^ hates cars
Seen it done on a few vehicles, 2 of which are members of this site. Abitibis ambulance, someone in the “other” vehicles thread did it with a trooper, and I’ve seen one on a custom flatbed chevy van. All 3 were ************ in their own way.

sqrlnts

Seen it done on a few vehicles, 2 of which are members of this site. Abitibis ambulance, someone in the “other” vehicles thread did it with a trooper, and I’ve seen one on a custom flatbed chevy van. All 3 were ************ in their own way.

Can you fill in your asterisks?

s.e.charles

i've long thought this would be a way for cap/ shell dwellers to get more out of their rigs and quite surprised given the DIY of most that it hasn't been done (or at least more often).

about 10 years ago there was a youtube of a ford ranger (when it was the mini-pickup) with a cap. to garner head room, the owner cut out the floor of the bed behind the rear X and built a stand-up room box. so he would step in & down about 12". may have even had a shower, but it was definitely a one-of-a-kind set up.

sqrlnts

apparently not. can’t even remember what terrible swear word I used that needed removed so people didn’t get offended. thought I said badask, but change the last letter to s instead of k. either way, all 3 were really cool conversions.

Cool, I tried to fill in the blanks and couldn't. I tried searching for Abitibis, but could not locate the name. Any chance you have that thread saved?
Thanks in advance!

shenrie

^^^ hates cars

Attachments

• 1614911303416.png
    1614911303416.png
    2 MB · Views: 64

86scotty

Cynic
Shenrie, how have I missed that Chevy/hauler/monstrosity you pic'd above? That thing is crazy.

i've long thought this would be a way for cap/ shell dwellers to get more out of their rigs and quite surprised given the DIY of most that it hasn't been done (or at least more often).

The reason it isn't done more often is because RTT's are prohibitively expensive. You've got to shell out $2-3k for a hardshell tent and then be willing to not only ruin it's resale by cutting the bottom out of it but also cut the roof out of your donor vehicle. Kind of a hard thing to get past for most........including me......so far.

rruff

Explorer
You've got to shell out $2-3k for a hardshell tent and then be willing to not only ruin it's resale by cutting the bottom out of it but also cut the roof out of your donor vehicle. Kind of a hard thing to get past for most........including me......so far.

That wouldn't deter me in the slightest... I'm fine with ruining resale value since I keep everything until it falls apart anyway. ;) It would be good to get a very high quality tent though... or build your own. In the grand scheme of things $2-3k seems pretty cheap.

A pop-up with folding hard walls would be ideal, but I've never seen one for sale.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rinzlerz