The design as we go M-101A1 Trailer build

protohyp

Adventurer
Been pretty busy with my Airstream project but found some time to put a step on the trailer. We had been using a folding stool that worked ok but this makes it much easier to fold down and retract. If we need more clearance it'll fold up as well but it will hang down about as low as the water tank will so I think it's fine as it is.

u6ymabu3.jpg

6y8y7u6e.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

protohyp

Adventurer
I know this should be more of a trip report than a build blog but it will be actually more of a TSA on towing and car trouble.

Basically on our last trip to Seattle the truck troubles pointed to ethanol in my gas at about 75%. Sounds stupid because my truck is flex fuel. The gas may have come from Oregon or Washington but basically after changing my fuel pump the system red rich on both banks. After full diagnosis I realized my ethanol content and had a friend who has a pro scanner reset my fuel composition and now she is running better than ever.

We spend a lot of winters up in mammoth lakes in California and it's about a 330 mile drive from Los Angeles. I will usually make it up in half a 31 gallon tank on my avalanche and a little less than half on the way back with enough to spare for driving around in LA. So one tank will do plenty for my trip. I should mention that I set cruise at 60 so most likely you guys are honking at me for being a slow driver but with gas prices what they are....well I'm sure most understand.

So with that I was curious with a 2000 lb trailer and heavy off road tires what the comparison would be and there was basically no difference. I'm up here in half a tank and feeling pretty good about it. The drive is about 85% flat and the rest is some 6% grade climbing. Yes of course I stick close to the 55mph trailer law in Cali but mainly because I'm a MPG freak.

Anyway. To those that have questions regarding towing offroad trailers and gas mileage at least for highway purposes if you keep it at or around 60 you really shouldn't notice a difference. Of course off road is a different story. Back in the back country of mammoth its really sandy so on some of our hill climbs with the trailer we got a lot of spinning of tires since I don't have a full off road set up for my avalanche but with 4wd it wasn't too much of a problem. The drive offroad is well worth the seclusion. 4th of July weekend in the town of mammoth was just busy as hell but about 4 miles out of town and there is not a soul to be found

ta3u4eny.jpg

Anyway. Everyone have an awesome 4th of July weekend and be safe out there!

protohyp

Adventurer
Been a while since I posted here but made some updates to my trailer and tow vehicle.

Here is a rig rundown with some of the changes

6cc38c323a58656c1d2fbfe061f4d386.jpg
218d53d55f24e83aedef760f77f5fcbd.jpg
f8d799e0e3d03edaee525a323bbffdc2.jpg
9c4a9ce1059433e7f4f06e9ba681ce36.jpg

Going to do a bunch more changes on the tow vehicle

protohyp

Adventurer
72233de77cbfaf6beb43c22836ddea8a.jpg

I’m desperate need of new shocks for my truck so just ordered Fox 2.5 DSC and Cognito Upper Control arms.

protohyp

Adventurer
Just did an upgrade to my ride with Fox 2.5 DSC and Cognito Upper control arms. Such a big difference in ride quality. Can't wait to get them dirty.

Here is a link to install process

This is how bad I was sagging with trailer connected

5f5ac697ffd0efcf162ee4bfc512b0a3.jpg

protohyp

Adventurer
Been rebuilding my trailer and super happy with the outcome.

Going to be a lot wider and more efficient and yes. A pumpkin!

5b58c789823e25e1f215fb050ad81ced.jpg
df1c10d3a4974ee76cd3b7f78ca52606.jpg
6bf2c77f11b814deb8940e28314e3af6.jpg
8d376ff625d4c1482a8bac0412fd1d41.jpg
8921188915835b6ddc48aa231812f642.jpg
3e1cf328ee63e7d931532569b2c223ea.jpg
f2b7841734d7a9cc5fff3b38e52b4a27.jpg
41ecfa016c09fa5bdaea09d2dc492657.jpg
6fbe514e414d88cc8c6b6a7b895efebf.jpg

protohyp

Adventurer
Just an update on my build.

This is the first stage of this build and we are ready for a road trip. Taken four months 24/7 to get to this stage

The hardest thing of the whole build was the awning. Planning it out was such stress. I intended more coverage as you can see at the ends of the structure but sewing two panels together made it stretch all wrong.

This whole build actually started around the Dometic fridge because it barely fit in my truck.

Now for a month long trip to wherever.

9bc940f871d77a19b08763f07a13b017.jpg

f78872a1807557cfa2b4ea63f173f2e8.jpg
95c525deb780fba410cecc2f5288a501.jpg
dfb87bf7e0cca72c43803b74f7790448.jpg
0bcbfa87bab0d1af3e1bb86c568688cc.jpg

unleashd

@protohyp

First off, awesome build. I really like the pumpkin color :) What is the material used in this build? I see aluminum angle bar stock used for all edges. What did you coat the box with?

PS: This is yet another of the build that I would like to take some inspiration from for my trailer build this summer. Hope you would allow me to do so!

protohyp

Adventurer
@protohyp

First off, awesome build. I really like the pumpkin color :) What is the material used in this build? I see aluminum angle bar stock used for all edges. What did you coat the box with?

PS: This is yet another of the build that I would like to take some inspiration from for my trailer build this summer. Hope you would allow me to do so!

Thank you brother. Absolutely copy or inspire away.

The box is made from 1” sheets of MDO. They’re resin impregnated and water proof and strong and straight. I used 6 sheets to build at about 84.00/ sheet

The angled aluminum reinforces the corners. While they’re glued and screwed together the aluminum corners also bolster and secure. After almost 2 years and thousands of hard dirt miles as well as road vibration there is zero hint of separation and water leakage. Are the better ways do do it? Absolutely but this has definitely worked for us

The coating for Cinderella’s Chariot is Raptor Liner. It was the only thing that put me over budget on this build because after the first coating I decided I wanted a little bit more. It’s tough as nails and have hit it with a hammer and it didn’t even dent anything.

Thanks again for the complement and feel free to reach out anytime!

Also our fully loaded weight is 2700lbs

Last edited:

unleashd

Thank you brother. Absolutely copy or inspire away.

The box is made from 1” sheets of MDO. They’re resin impregnated and water proof and strong and straight. I used 6 sheets to build at about 84.00/ sheet

The angled aluminum reinforces the corners. While they’re glued and screwed together the aluminum corners also bolster and secure. After almost 2 years and thousands of hard dirt miles as well as road vibration there is zero hint of separation and water leakage. Are the better ways do do it? Absolutely but this has definitely worked for us

The coating for Cinderella’s Chariot is Raptor Liner. It was the only thing that put me over budget on this build because after the first coating I decided I wanted a little bit more. It’s tough as nails and have hit it with a hammer and it didn’t even dent anything.

Thanks again for the complement and feel free to reach out anytime!

Also our fully loaded weight is 2700lbs

Thank you much for this. I was hoping to avoid a steel structure as well and use a heavier aluminum angle and MDO as well. The M116A3 weighs ~1000 lbs. I plan to swap the HMMWV wheels for super duty wheels for weight reduction. For now, I am keeping the surge brakes and the military axle due to budget constraints. Eventually, I may go with a Dexter axle and electric brakes. My target is to not exceed 2000lbs when fully loaded, even though my diesel Excursion won't complain about that load :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles