Disco 1 vs Disco 3 (LR3)

tacocat

Unfortunately, we didn’t get the TD here. Goes double for California where you can’t convert them. A D2 isn’t out of the question, but I’d prefer the D1 due to it being so simple.

I forgot to mention, @gabrielef thanks for the invite. I haven’t been up there since the Creek Fire. I can use me some Shaver Lake Pizza. I’ll keep an eye out on the NorCal forum.

tacocat

I think it's detrimental to use rather weak anecdotal evidence as a basis for disqualifying an otherwise qualified vehicle.

On the topic of qualities, what are your needs in a vehicle? What creature comforts do you want? What are your "build" goals—if any? What sort of trips are you aiming to do?

You'll find no shortage of opinions on D1 vs D3, but without more context about your needs, the community will have a hard time giving you advice that is relevant to you.

@Shigeta here is a prime example. I’m
fairly certain this a result of cracking a pan or neglecting oil changes, possibly cracking a block from a bad rod. It is definitely the exception rather than the rule.

The only bad part of the AJ-V8 vs the 1FZ-FE is that the FZ can survive that failure and be rebuilt in the garage. The 4.4 would probably need a new long block.

Still, that’s not a bad rig to try and save.

XJLI

Adventurer
Ok, so I think I understand you. I own a D4 now, but I will always miss my D1. The 4 is a better car in every single way. 3x the power, infinitely more comfortable, more reliable, much safer, quieter, blah blah.

It’ll never be as cool as a D1. Doesn’t matter how many tents, bumpers, and maxtrax you strap to a 3 or 4, a stock D1 is more rewarding and will bring a big smile to your face every time it decides to start.

XJLI

Adventurer

@Shigeta here is a prime example. I’m
fairly certain this a result of cracking a pan or neglecting oil changes, possibly cracking a block from a bad rod. It is definitely the exception rather than the rule.

The only bad part of the AJ-V8 vs the 1FZ-FE is that the FZ can survive that failure and be rebuilt in the garage. The 4.4 would probably need a new long block.

Still, that’s not a bad rig to try and save.

The 4.4 isn’t an instant boat anchor when the SHTF like the 5.0, but I’d still wager against ANY neglected Rover, old or new, unless you absolutely know what you’re getting into. Things go from “fixer upper” to “hair pulling anxiety attack” real quick.

I’d offer that guy $1000 which is what you can make back selling the wheels/tires and the trailer hitch when you are ready to junk it.

gabrielef

Ok, so I think I understand you. I own a D4 now, but I will always miss my D1. The 4 is a better car in every single way. 3x the power, infinitely more comfortable, more reliable, much safer, quieter, blah blah.

It’ll never be as cool as a D1. Doesn’t matter how many tents, bumpers, and maxtrax you strap to a 3 or 4, a stock D1 is more rewarding and will bring a big smile to your face every time it decides to start.

“...it decides to start.”

That statement and my parent’s old D2 keeps me away from D1:D2’s. EXCEPT for my brother’s in-law’s in Argentina who have a TDi with 250K miles on it. I’d take that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

XJLI

Adventurer
“...it decides to start.”

That statement and my parent’s old D2 keeps me away from D1:D2’s. EXCEPT for my brother’s in-law’s in Argentina who have a TDi with 250K miles on it. I’d take that.

My D1 was actually super reliable until the head gasket popped. Lots of road trips and wheelin, never skipped a beat until that day. Then I drove it for another two months with K Seal in it, then on a freezing cold day the fan clutch seized and threw the blades through the radiator and hoses.

gabrielef

My D1 was actually super reliable until the head gasket popped. Lots of road trips and wheelin, never skipped a beat until that day. Then I drove it for another two months with K Seal in it, then on a freezing cold day the fan clutch seized and threw the blades through the radiator and hoses.

Tough as nails, but bad luck happens eventually. Just found a small leak from my thermostat housing yesterday lol.

XJLI

Adventurer
Tough as nails, but bad luck happens eventually. Just found a small leak from my thermostat housing yesterday lol.

oh yea. and the issues I experienced are really well documented. anyone who has done a google search on "common land rover discovery problems" would be aware of them.

TexasTJ

Climbing Nerd
LR3s are Great, but The Series 1 Discovery's so fun to drive. They will need love and Care, but the joy they bring is worth it. That said the LR3 is a better truck all around. It will be safer, drive better on the highway, and preform better on the trail. I have had two Series 1 Discos and I have 2 LR3's. The Series ones inspire Love, the LR3s are just really really good SUV's. Get the LR3.
IMG_0907 (1).jpgIMG_3899.JPGIMG_3894.JPG

tacocat

LR3s are Great, but The Series 1 Discovery's so fun to drive. They will need love and Care, but the joy they bring is worth it. That said the LR3 is a better truck all around. It will be safer, drive better on the highway, and preform better on the trail. I have had two Series 1 Discos and I have 2 LR3's. The Series ones inspire Love, the LR3s are just really really good SUV's. Get the LR3.
View attachment 641845View attachment 641846View attachment 641847

Nice pics ultimately, I’d like to own both. I currently own one of the greatest expo trail rigs of all time in the 80, but I’ve always loved Disco platform and am always looking for ways to sharpen my mechanical skills.

I like working on cars almost as much as driving them. TV repairman + killer set of tools.

XJLI

Adventurer
Nice pics ultimately, I’d like to own both. I currently own one of the greatest expo trail rigs of all time in the 80, but I’ve always loved Disco platform and am always looking for ways to sharpen my mechanical skills.

I like working on cars almost as much as driving them. TV repairman + killer set of tools.

D1 now. Skip the LR3 and go right to a 4 in a couple years. Nice D1s are going to get even more expensive than they already are as time marches on, so you may be able to own one for very cheap if you sell it later.

gabrielef

D1 now. Skip the LR3 and go right to a 4 in a couple years. Nice D1s are going to get even more expensive than they already are as time marches on, so you may be able to own one for very cheap if you sell it later.

I’m agreeing with this, now that I own and LR3 and 4. 4 is such a better Disco experience than the 3.

gabrielef

yes. they are jumped off the turn signal wires behind the head lights. Don’t forget the relay.

I need to do that still. Is it easy to take pics of and DM me? The instructions aren’t that great.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FranklinDufresne