Where are all my MilSurp equipment fans at?

krick3tt

Adventurer
I got out of the Navy 50 years ago, nothing fits now and besides blues and whites are not forest garb. I go the Sportsman's Guide for anything I want surplus related.

Martinjmpr

Wiffleball Batter
The fact that nobody has mentioned a Woobie makes me question if you actually appreiciate military gear.

Still have mine. Haven't needed to use it since we got the camper though. It makes a nice sleeping bag liner. I had a zipper put on mine so it is basically a mini-sleeping bag. It's been my "bed" on a C-130 or C-17 more than once....

Last time I wore a pair of Army issued BDUs was in 1989... still pick them up occasional to wear when hiking, camping and such.

Weird, mine seem to have shrunk around the waist. Funny how that happens when you're not doing PT every morning. ;)

Most military "camping" gear is too heavy to be of much use to me but I do keep a Gore-Tex parka in my "emergency box" in the truck, along with a VS-17 panel (used to mark drop zones, bright orange on one side and bright pink on the other for visibility.)

I also have a Coleman mil-spec lantern in pristine condition, complete with a home-made box that I sometimes bring on camping trips.

Correus

Adventurer
Still have mine. Haven't needed to use it since we got the camper though. It makes a nice sleeping bag liner. I had a zipper put on mine so it is basically a mini-sleeping bag. It's been my "bed" on a C-130 or C-17 more than once....

Weird, mine seem to have shrunk around the waist. Funny how that happens when you're not doing PT every morning. ;)

Most military "camping" gear is too heavy to be of much use to me but I do keep a Gore-Tex parka in my "emergency box" in the truck, along with a VS-17 panel (used to mark drop zones, bright orange on one side and bright pink on the other for visibility.)

I also have a Coleman mil-spec lantern in pristine condition, complete with a home-made box that I sometimes bring on camping trips.

I hear ya... and it's incredibly hard to get back into the whole PT thing. I really, really need to drop some pounds, so I've started off - again - doing baby PT.

Care to share a pic or two of that lantern and box? Would love to have one of those. My father-in-law has a Coleman m1950 stove, with case, I keep thinking about absconding with.

Hnoroian

Observer
We chose something bigger, stronger, and more modern than any of those.

Our truck has power steering, power brakes, automatic overdrive transmission, ABS, traction control, air conditioning, and can carry 15 tons.
We do as well, but I would like one of each next to our ‘42 Willys. It is all original down to the few bullet holes and have the paperwork from its beginning to tell its full story.

Attachments

• F8759552-137D-4D7F-8C6B-79329CA31CD6.jpeg
    F8759552-137D-4D7F-8C6B-79329CA31CD6.jpeg
    781.3 KB · Views: 16

Correus

Adventurer
We do as well, but I would like one of each next to our ‘42 Willys. It is all original down to the few bullet holes and have the paperwork from its beginning to tell its full story.

Nice....

Are you kitting it out in period appropriate gear for displays and such?

My Rover is a '63, but I'm kitting it out with gear that's contemporary to the early '60s and older.

20210205_114830.jpg

Correus

Adventurer
Military surplus rigs....

Do any of you look at "bringatrailer'?

Several mikitary rigs - everything from jeeps to tanks have been listed lately.

D

Deleted member 9101

I have a collection of them...one in each camo pattern that I have worn (Woodland, DCU, ACU, OCP). My daughter loves to snuggle up in them while she watches TV.

Hnoroian

Observer
Nice....
Are you kitting it out in period appropriate gear for displays and such?
Thanks. Beautiful rig! For most of its service life it was a runaround. Currently running and reliable, more barebones but have a few period correct gas cans, and other tiny things along with it. Always looking for more but funds are usually spread thin.

You have an MTVR with air conditioning?
Only in my dreams, I must have misread where you had one or what not but it is your signature so I should have guessed. I would love to have a MTVR, Mog, or Oshkosh etc. also.

There was a place near San Diego a few years back that were taking the 2.5 and a few 5 and refurbishing them with new paint, oil and main components for real cheap, but I missed that boat...

love looking through BAT and seeing what they have.

Correus

Adventurer
Thanks. Beautiful rig! For most of its service life it was a runaround. Currently running and reliable, more barebones but have a few period correct gas cans, and other tiny things along with it. Always looking for more but funds are usually spread thin.

Thanks.

I hear ya, funds are spread rather thin around here as well, just about every spare penny goes on finishing this project. Had a couple hiccups with the Rover last spring/summer that depleted the entire years budget for it; basically, it came to a screeching halt. Hopefully what was to get done last year will get done this year!

On the bright side - hunting around for period correct (or at least period look/feel) is fun. I've got so many vintage metal and wooden military/expedition storage containers I could probably supply an expedition!!! Just can't stop collecting it.

daddyusmaximus

Explorer
The fact that nobody has mentioned a Woobie makes me question if you actually appreiciate military gear.

First off... it's a poncho liner.

I see the acceptance of the poncho liner as being labeled a "woobie"... as the start of the downfall of the United States Army.

Did the same thing to one of mine. I was on a detail cleaning out the supply room for crap to turn in to DRMO. There was a sleeping bag that had been half eaten by mice... got me the zipper took it to the sewing lady. 1984, Ft Hood TX.

D

Deleted member 9101

First off... it's a poncho liner.

I see the acceptance of the poncho liner as being labeled a "woobie"... as the start of the downfall of the United States Army.

Did the same thing to one of mine. I was on a detail cleaning out the supply room for crap to turn in to DRMO. There was a sleeping bag that had been half eaten by mice... got me the zipper took it to the sewing lady. 1984, Ft Hood TX.

L m a o @ Ft.Hood... Whom ever named that excrement hole the "Great Place" has a very sick sense of humor.

Also... IT'S A WOOBIE!!!!! ;-)

daddyusmaximus

Explorer
Intriguing... please explain.

OK, but you asked for this... lol.

I first noticed troops calling it a "woobie" quite some time ago. Right around Desert Storm. I was a Drill Sgt at Ft Benning at the time.

At first, the childish nickname seemed like harmless fun, as young GIs do tend to say, and do a lot of dumb stuff. I know I did. However, it's also about the time there was a shift in the way the Army was working, the way it treated soldiers, and the types of spoiled brats that started showing up in the ranks. (I've seen a lot of changes in my 27 years in uniform) Young PVTs had stress cards in basic training because they couldn't deal with the "stress" of being told what to do all day, every day....Drill Sgts couldn't cuss. They sure as hell couldn't give anymore "wall to wall counseling" sessions. They couldn't even point at a soldier with fingers anymore, and the "knife hand" became a thing. The barracks were air conditioned. Nice for sure, and it seemed like an improvement at first, but we couldn't even control the temp settings. We had to prop doors open to keep them from getting too cool. The PVTs would go in the barracks, and crash in the AC, then back out into the heat for training... They were getting sick, and dropping like flies because they weren't becoming acclimated to the weather they were supposed to operate in.

Basically, the Army went politically correct about the time childish troops started up with the whole "woobie" thing. Much like childish idiots in today's society, demanding every conceivable concession, having to get their way on everything, (and at everyone's expense but their own) AND... if they don't, you are some evil vile thing like a racist, sexist, bigot, homophobe... They demand everything free, rather than earning anything on their own.. As the Army changed, the soldiers suffered by not being taught the tough (but necessary) lessons of reality. Especially the reality of military service. (which isn't supposed to be easy, just important) Training changed, and not for the better, but simply to make it "easier" on the troops. Training that was previously designed to prepare you for the single most traumatic thing a human can endure... war.

Having newer, and better weapons, and technology is a plus for the troops.
Having weaker troops... takes away much of that advantage.

In a world where words matter, and you can loose your job, or be labeled evil things just for using what somebody considers the "wrong" word, or the meaning of a word has changed overnight... remember one thing.

It's a "poncho liner".

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norcalmaier