Which truck

I e never been into them, just more stuff to go bad.

I haven't found anyone yet who has put any real miles on the ford turbo. Everyone seems to love them though.

I just don't think anyone can touch toyotas reliability, but I'll drive a ford and see.

A family friend has 300,000 miles on their ford ecoboost truck and it runs like a top. Only regular maintenance and zero overhauls etc.

cpabbey

In 2019 I bought the Ford with the twin turbos, but I really wanted the Tundra. Salesman at Toyota was terrible and the Ford folks had plenty of trucks for me to pick from. I'm not sure I made the right decision. It's still very new, but I don't see it lasting like my Landcruiser. I'll keep it another few years and then try for the Tundra.....again

rruff

Explorer
By then the next Gen Tundra will be out and hopefully it'll be what we've all been waiting for.

I read somewhere it will be revealed at Superbowl. Probably BS like all the other "info" floating around. Should learn something soon though.

nickw

Adventurer

I haven't found anyone yet who has put any real miles on the ford turbo. Everyone seems to love them though.

I just don't think anyone can touch toyotas reliability, but I'll drive a ford and see.
If you are looking for MPG you could always step up to the diesel F150...

skrypj

How much can you spend?

The Ford 2.7 ecoboost has been pretty bulletproof. I know you said no turbos but people have very few issues with them and they get stellar MPG’s. The 3.5 Ecoboost is the one with issue, although they are not catastrophic issues and are mostly due to stretched timing chains on the 1st gen 3.5(2011-2016) and cam phaser issues on the 2nd gen(2017+).

One issue could be the 6’ bed. You cannot get a crew cab 6.5’ bed and 4x4 with the 2.7. You would have to drop down to a supercab.

A 2.7 with the 36 gallon tanks could get 800+ miles to a tank. I have gotten over 700 miles on a tank with my old steel body 2014 F150 with the 3.5L ecoboost that gets much lower mpg than a 2.7.

Your buddy with 3 turbo replacements is an exception. I run my 3.5 extremely hard. Mine has a performance towing tune and i pull a travel trailer through utah and wyoming at least once a month doing 70 mph up 7% grades in 95F+ temps. The conditions i've put this truck through are astonishing and the turbos have been fine so far.

Last edited:

skrypj

There are many guys with north of 300k miles on the 1st gen Ecoboost F150's that have done nothing but regular maintenance and maybe replaced the throttle body or other minor things. We had one guy on the F150 Ecoboost forum who had a 2011 that he used for his landscaping business. It towed a trailer basically every day of its life and he had >375k on it the last time he checked in. He sold it to his son and at this point it must have over 400k. The ONLY thing the guy said was he had to replace the throttle body. All he did was change spark plugs and do oil changes with regular ass motorcraft synthetic blend oil. Nothing special.

The key with the Ecoboost seem to be regular oil changes(5000 or less miles) and don't baby them. Get em hot. It the people who use them as grocery getters(which is a lot of people) and drive them 3 miles a day that seem to have issues.

jjrgr21

300k is pretty legit.

As far as $$, I prefer to buy lightly used. And stay under $40k.

I've driven a few recently and like them, but I'm still leary

skrypj

300k is pretty legit.

As far as $$, I prefer to buy lightly used. And stay under $40k.

I've driven a few recently and like them, but I'm still leary

The prices are insane right now. Just the other day I was searching 2013-2014 Lariats with ~90k just to see what my truck might be worth and they are listing them for $25-29k. A 7-8 year old truck in the high 20's :ROFLMAO:

I was adamant about lightly used when I was truck shopping back in 2014/2015. I came to realize that the prices on used trucks that were only a few years old with lower miles were too close to the prices of the new trucks once you factored in discounts and what not. I think I paid ~$43k for a basically fully loaded Lariat that had ~$55k MSRP. With Tax, Title, and Reg as well as rolling I think $4k of my wifes Subaru loan into the truck loan, I was at ~$48k out the door.

86scotty

Cynic

Every new vehicle has more stuff to go bad. It has nothing to do with turbos. It has to do with complexity, emissions and the OEM's being able to find good parts suppliers.

Your old school way of thinking "I've never been into them, just more stuff to go bad" is going to be a serious limitation if you want anything newer or more fuel efficient.

My work truck is a turbo diesel with 890,000. Original turbo, and most other parts for that matter.

I'd find a late model Tundra 4.7 if I were you.

JaSAn

Grumpy Old Man
. . .

One thing I have unfortunately learned is that past reliability is no indicator of future performance.
Car companies are under a lot of pressure to increase profits, increase gas milage, increase payload, add bells and whistles, ad infinitum. So they find cheaper suppliers, redesign parts, modify assembly procedures, change assembly locations . . .
Brand loyalty aint what it used to be.

Jupiter58

Just to add some personal experience, I have a 19 f150 3.5 eb super crew 5.5 bed. 4wd, max tow, locking rear diff and 3.73 gears. I get 24 mpg reguarly on mostly secondary road commutes to work. 70 miles round trip. Just hit 771 miles on this tank before the fuel light came on. 36 gallon tank. I get 22 plus mpg at 80-85 and the only real towing I have done is a 2000 lb boat and trailer for 380 miles at 75-85 and I got 18-19 mpg iirc. Only 16k mikes on it and no issues so far, so I can’t speak to longevity, but it rides and drives like a dream and goes like a bat out of hell. The TTs means it jumps no matter what speed you are at when you hit the skinny pedal.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior