Insuring DIY Hardside Camper Build on chassis cab truck

jagarcia89

Wondering those of you that made custom hardside campers on Chassis cabs, how you have them insured. I have a 1996 F350 Chassis cab ambulance. When I bought it, my DMV had no record of it being an ambulance, just an incomplete vehicle. They wouldn't even let me title it as a truck because it was incomplete. So I went through the steps of getting it titled as a completed motorhome. I have gutted it entirely, so it has no ambulance functions. For practicality sake this is now like any other custom aluminum box on a chassis cab. So am wondering how people who build their own boxes insure them.

Any advice? I have it insured as a truck right now, and haven't broached the subject with my insurance company as it stays in the garage during the build phase.

java

Expedition Leader
It's though, you likely can't get rv insurance as your not a RVIA certified builder.

I have mine insured as the truck, with a rider for a "permanently installed camper" my agent suggested I try not to use it as it would be a nightmare..... FWIW

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

Srpat

Observer
F550 shuttle bus. Truck cab and chassis. RV conversion. WI DMV had no problem letting me title it as an RV. Insurance company had no problem once I sent pictures to meet their criteria of bathroom kitchen and bed.

jagarcia89

F550 shuttle bus. Truck cab and chassis. RV conversion. WI DMV had no problem letting me title it as an RV. Insurance company had no problem once I sent pictures to meet their criteria of bathroom kitchen and bed.
What insurance company? I am all titled as a motorhome in michigan, that part was easy.

RonapRhys

Adventurer
MI and RV insurance seemed to be a pain. Luckily I was able to get my actual RV insured via USAA. I think State Farm also did it. Maybe call one of the RV centers here and see if they've got any recommendations.

Srpat

Observer
What insurance company? I am all titled as a motorhome in michigan, that part was easy.

Auto-owners insurance. My local agent made it extremely easy. It was around 500 a year for full coverage at $25,000 value. Went up after I sent pictures and requested a higher value. Had it been a shuttle bus still or still had enough seats to be classified as a commercial vehicle, that would have been a different story.

jagarcia89

MI and RV insurance seemed to be a pain. Luckily I was able to get my actual RV insured via USAA. I think State Farm also did it. Maybe call one of the RV centers here and see if they've got any recommendations.

I couldn't even get USAA to insure my regular truck. They don't like MI- the referred it out to Liberty Mutual.

RonapRhys

Adventurer
That's odd - they've been insuring me here for a few years. I think I had to go to someone else for a brief time, but I've got my Jeep, my wife's truck and car, our RV and motorcycles (though they farm the last two out to Progressive for USAA).

jagarcia89

That's odd - they've been insuring me here for a few years. I think I had to go to someone else for a brief time, but I've got my Jeep, my wife's truck and car, our RV and motorcycles (though they farm the last two out to Progressive for USAA).

I think you are right. They wouldn’t insure my van in Florida and not my house in Michigan. But I don’t think I ever checked on the truck in MI.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

oddball4x4

I have my Ambulanced titled and insured as an RV in Michigan. Getting the title worked out was the harder part for me. Once I got a title that recognized it as an RV, insurance was a phone call away.

jagarcia89

I have my Ambulanced titled and insured as an RV in Michigan. Getting the title worked out was the harder part for me. Once I got a title that recognized it as an RV, insurance was a phone call away.

What company did you use? I’m already titled as a motor home.

MTVR

We have our MTVR motorhome insured as a motorhome through Progressive. It's a "commercial" policy because of the 62,200 pound GVWR...

oddball4x4

What company did you use? I’m already titled as a motor home.

I went through Allstate. Didn't have any issues. With the title in hand Im not sure why you are having such a hard time getting it insured...

We have our MTVR motorhome insured as a motorhome through Progressive. It's a "commercial" policy because of the 62,200 pound GVWR...

Ya I don't think my machine is very comparable to yours @14,500lb GVWR... lol

jagarcia89

I went through Allstate. Didn't have any issues. With the title in hand Im not sure why you are having such a hard time getting it insured...

I'm not having a hard time. It's currently insured as just a truck. However, I know that insurance companies will often look for ways to not cover an incident so rather than have an issue then have them say "well you didn't tell us this was a camper". I'd rather get it insured as what it is, but don't want to risk getting dropped by bringing it up with my current insurance until I have an alternative in my back pocket. I've heard many insurance companies won't cover something "self built" or "DIY" but only something with a manufacturer name they can look up.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles