More fuel

Photobug

My RV Born Free Built for two has a 40 gallon tank and gets 9mpg if I am lucky which equates to roughly a 300 mile range. I just topped it off and the display on the van showed 330 miles to empty. I would like to consider more fuel capacity. Without strapping jerry cans to the outside, what are my options?

Photobug

26gal and V10 on 37s.

40 gal? I hate you.

Sent from my SM-G981V using Tapatalk
My truck has a 500+ mile range. The Ram Ecodiesels have a $1000 mile range.

I would guess you have to stop at each gas station you pass?

CodyY

Explorer
My truck has a 500+ mile range. The Ram Ecodiesels have a $1000 mile range.

I would guess you have to stop at each gas station you pass?
Luckily the kids bladders are a limiting factor
dbe1fe673c8440f4f4a7560804969afa.jpg

Bikersmurf

Expedition Leader
There is a 55 gal. for the cut out vans Which I assume yours is. It should be fairly easy upgrade for you If you find the right donor.

especially if you don’t already have a tank mounted rear of the axle. Or add a second tank inside of the frame rail.

Photobug

Luckily the kids bladders are a limiting factor
dbe1fe673c8440f4f4a7560804969afa.jpg

I figure our dogs will be a limiting factor but considering we have a full head, and kitchen in the back, the only reason we really need to stop is to swap drivers or fuel.

vintageracer

To Infinity and Beyond!
My 2001 Chevrolet 4WD Express van has a "TransferFlow" brand auxiliary fuel tank system installed under the van.

I now have 70 gallons of total fuel capacity.

Not a cheap system to purchase/install however it works fine.

They may have a fuel tank/system for you.

Photobug

I climbed under the van yesterday. The area behind the axle is already filled with fuel, black and grey water tanks.

In the middle of the van there is a large area running along the frame parallel to the driveshaft where a large tank could likely go. Today should be fairly warm so I can go under and take some photos and get dimensions. I am in no rush but can start to plan and look for a tank somewhere.

MTVR

Our truck came with an 80 gallon fuel tank stock, but it gets through it pretty quickly...

Photobug

Our truck came with an 80 gallon fuel tank stock, but it gets through it pretty quickly...
I can't imagine how you can get by with only 80 gallons of fuel. How many Jerry cans do you have to carry with you to make it in between fill ups? You should really look into an aux tank.

MTVR

I can't imagine how you can get by with only 80 gallons of fuel. How many Jerry cans do you have to carry with you to make it in between fill ups? You should really look into an aux tank.

Running wide-open against the 65 mph speed limiter, we were getting roughly 400 miles per tank, so we only had to fill up once or so per day...

El_Viajero

My 2001 Chevrolet 4WD Express van has a "TransferFlow" brand auxiliary fuel tank system installed under the van.

Do you know what system/componenets you have? How do you fill/transfer the aux tank? Any pics? Would love to do this for a 2008 Express but I looked on the TransferFlow website and they only had trucks listed.

vintageracer

To Infinity and Beyond!
I know Transfer Flow no longer supports the system I have in my van so I am not surprised it is not available on their website.

The Transfer Flow Express van system is a 35+ gallon steel fabricated tank that mounts under the rear chassis where spare tire was previously mounted. A factory style/look fill door is added at the right rear of the passenger side quarter panel for filling the second tank.

The system has a transfer pump to automatically transfer fuel from the second tank into the factory side mount fuel tank. A small electronic display box is mounted on the center console of the van reporting what is going on with a system. A electronic system control box is mounted on the van floor behind the driver's seat.

The system reports the fuel level using the factory fuel gauge keeping both tanks level as the fuel drops including the rear tank. If the rear tank goes empty first the system shuts down the transfer pump and the fuel gauge continues to report the correct fuel level in the factory side tank. The default is the factory tank fuel gauge. If the system fails to operate with both tanks the factory side tank continues to operate with the fuel gauge correctly reporting the fuel level in the factory side tank.

The only fuel pump used for the engine FI system is the factory fuel pump in the factory driver's side mount fuel tank. The fuel pump from the rear tank to the factory side tank is a low pressure fuel transfer pump.

You could fairly easily fabricate/cobble this system together and operate it manually. All you would need is a fuel tank to mount under the rear where the spare tire is currently mounted. Run a supply hose from the added tank to the input on a low pressure transfer pump mounted between the tank and rear-end on the center of the frame crossmember with the low pressure fuel pump exit hose going from the transfer pump output dumping fuel into an inlet you mount in the factory side mount tank. Just like Transfer Flow does it. Mount a manual electric control switch in the passenger compartment to turn on/off the transfer pump to transfer fuel when needed from the rear tank to the factory side tank. Your only fuel gauge will still be the factory fuel gauge in the factory side mount tank.

Going on a trip fill both fuel tanks. When the factory tank gits to 1/2 empty tank on the factory fuel gauge hit the transfer switch and fill the factory side tank back to near full/full showing on the factory fuel gauge with fuel from the rear tank you have added to the van and then turn off the transfer pump. You are doing the same thing MANUALLY that the fancy Transfer Flow system does automatically for a lot less money than the Transfer Flow system would cost.

Sourcing a fuel tank that will fit and mount properly under your van and lowering the factory side fuel tank to add a fitting for the fuel transfer hose from the rear tank will be the biggest obstacle to adding this system to your van. The rest is pretty basic stuff if you have any mechanical skills at all!

Last edited:

El_Viajero

I know Transfer Flow no longer supports the system I have in my van so I am not surprised it is not available on their website.

Thanks much for the details, gives me an idea on what direction to go even if TransferFlow doesn't support any more. Sounds like a neat setup! The extra fill door seems ideal, how did they manage the sheet metal/fill door?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles