Camper Builder Comparison (UNICAT vs. GXV etc.,)

Jenzz

Members, please comment on the chassis. I want truthful opinions as to if this is absurd to convert to an expedition vehicle. If it is so, then I have no problem reassigning to the fleet duty. My thoughts on this are that the range issue can be taken care of; however other aspects like turning radius is fixed. More so, the intimidating aspect of this truck can potentially inhibit export for building the body, and cause unnecessary trouble with customs.
Secondly, does anyone think that such a niche vehicle can cause problems with our travel plans of Africa, Central Asia etc.,

Thank you and if I am crazy please let me know!

I doubt you will enjoy Europe with an 8-wheel chassis. I would also see some challenges in Africa with an Military style truck, especially US type. Set aside, how good is Oshkosh global service network? Parts availability?
How about you go for a Mercedes Zetros 6x6 Chassis, and find a way to register it somewhere in another country, if Import to US seems to be an issue?
MD71hv / MB Zetros 6x6

Will58

Hi everyone,

Sorry for tuning out for a little while. Thank you everyone for all the responses, the question arises about our water usage. Here is a typical scenario that all three of us, me, my wife and brother agree on so tell us your opinion on this!

Daily Usage Scenario:
Wife: Shower - 10 gallons
Me: Shower - 5 gallons
Brother: Shower - 5 gallons
Other restroom activities (all 3 of us): 10 gallons
Drinking (all 3 of us): 2 gallons
Cooking, Dishes: 5 gallons

Overall around: 40 - 45 gallons a day, supply of 10 days gives a total of 400 - 500 gallons of water.
Is this crazy thinking? While camping we used a lot less; however, age and comfort level forcing my wife to think this!!

More importantly guys, I want to focus the conversation towards camper bodies and quality.

Victorian

Approved Vendor : Total Composites
We shower with less than 3 gallons every other day. No water use to flush the toilet as we use a composting one. We can stay off grid for almost a week with 30 gallons.

Joe917

Explorer
Your water usage numbers are way out. Yes, crazy thinking since you ask. You cannot expect to live a mobile lifestyle like you are plumbed in. We have a 750 liter(200 gallons) water capacity when filled. I would think we are in the top 1% of water tankage. We almost never fill. If we fill we can live comfortably more than a month (2 adults). Cooking and dishes, drinking, laundry, showers. Showers are "boat showers" get wet, turn water off, lather, rinse, and not every day. Toilet is composting, no water needed.

trailsurfer

Explorer
Having owned and own a couple of expedition vehicles, my recommendation for you is a 4x4 Frieghtliner or International Chassis with the box/RV built by Showhauler out of Indiana. Built like a tank, they should be able to meet your customization requirements. It will have the comfort your wife is looking for and the range and capabilities your brother wants. Here is a link to their 4x4 dealer,

Last edited:
With 440L = 116 gal water, and myself, daughter and son-in-law, careful (!!!) showers every other day, and foot operated flushing toilet, water lasts over 2 weeks. 500 gal is over 4000 lb.

Joe917

Explorer
Having owned and own a couple of expedition vehicles, my recommendation for you is a 4x4 Frieghtliner or International Chassis with the box/RV built by Showhauler out of Indiana. But like a tank, they should be able to meet your customization requirements. It will have the comfort your wife is looking for and the range and capabilities your brother wants. Here is a link to their 4x4 dealer,
Too big, too long, too big a turning circle, poor break over angle and departure angle, dealer network outside US, Canada?

Michelle@EarthCruiser

Supporting Sponsor
Water can be a limiting factor, but no one needs to shower for that long everyday. We have 75 gallons fresh on an EarthCruiser. That can last us over two weeks with limited conservation practices. Then if necessary, we put our hose in a stream and refill. This will be a very unpopular opinion, but if you want all the amenities of home then stay there. It seems that everyone makes it all too hard to actually get out there.

DiploStrat

Expedition Leader
While we are all washing up ...

Beloved Spouse and I, and the cat, go through about 10 USG of fresh water a day, at full "motorhome" consumption. That is, two showers, drinking, meal prep and washing, and way too much coffee.

On any kind of water rationing, e.g. bathing every other day, you can drop that to 5 USG without much pain.

Our Tiger had about 40 USG and the 917 has about 100 USG. For us, this is the height of luxury. We crossed the Sahara with less than 30 USG total. (And yes, we took three showers when we got to El Golea!)

180out

150 gal in my GXV. more then enough. if you find a camp ground you just hook up, shower, do laundry, and split. daily showering when out in the bush is just way over rated. wipe all your dishes down after use and you wash up a pan two plates and the flat wear with less then a gallon. water is heavy and it moves around. not properly built and a 400 gallon tank will tear its self apart quite quickly.

martinf

We have 21 gallons in our van. We can easily do 4 days with dishes and 2 showers with water to spare. Water is easily accessible here in the USA but can be a luxury in some parts of the world. One needs to learn how to not waste it.

Will58

Hi everyone,

Tuned out for a few days due to other considerations. I hear every single one of you and I personally agree with each and every statement especially the fact that we cannot have all he comforts of the home!
Yes we thought of having a filtration system and all other possibilities as well but a serious discussion with my fellow co-travelers, my wife and brother revealed something more deeper. Rest assured we will not be doing this because, literally and figuratively they wanted a, "mansion on wheels" which is not realistic.
My brother "floated" the idea of an expedition yacht, a Nordhavn or something called Bering Yachts but I quickly shut that down as I am not going to drop $5mil+ on something not to my choice or liking!

Folks, this is my dream; however, I have sadly accepted the fact that it is going to remain as such. If only I could get somebody from here as a co-traveler! Thank you everyone who took the time to respond, I apologize for taking you on this wild ride! To those of you travelling, Godspeed and once again, thank you for letting me live vicariously through you!

P.S: If anybody want to carry on the camper builder comparison or anything in this thread, I can definitely chip in with my engineering experience and anything else folks might need. Thanks!

gregmchugh

Observer
Hi everyone,

Tuned out for a few days due to other considerations. I hear every single one of you and I personally agree with each and every statement especially the fact that we cannot have all he comforts of the home!
Yes we thought of having a filtration system and all other possibilities as well but a serious discussion with my fellow co-travelers, my wife and brother revealed something more deeper. Rest assured we will not be doing this because, literally and figuratively they wanted a, "mansion on wheels" which is not realistic.
My brother "floated" the idea of an expedition yacht, a Nordhavn or something called Bering Yachts but I quickly shut that down as I am not going to drop $5mil+ on something not to my choice or liking!

Folks, this is my dream; however, I have sadly accepted the fact that it is going to remain as such. If only I could get somebody from here as a co-traveler! Thank you everyone who took the time to respond, I apologize for taking you on this wild ride! To those of you travelling, Godspeed and once again, thank you for letting me live vicariously through you!

P.S: If anybody want to carry on the camper builder comparison or anything in this thread, I can definitely chip in with my engineering experience and anything else folks might need. Thanks!

Better to discover the disconnect between your dreams and theirs now rather than after spending the money to get something that won’t satisfy everyone involved.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FranklinDufresne