4" or 6" round lights on the windshield pillar?

Outdoorsben

Observer
Just curious those of you that run round lights on the windshield pillar, what size? I prefer round to square since the headlights and fog lights are round and IMO it just looks better. However not sure if I should go 4" or 6". Leaning toward 4" but open to recommendations. Probably not much of a different from the drive seat. I'm going flood pattern.

I also thought of mounting them on a fairlead light mount and that's still an option but curious about the windshield mounts.

billiebob

I'd go smaller on the a-pillar just to keep them out of my line of sight.
But I went LED cube lights with the side lighter feature. 1/10th the electrical load compared to halogens.

DSC_0051.jpeg

Yep smaller on the windshield I personally didn’t really like it there was always. Some reflections from the hood and mine were a tight beam spot as opposed to a driving pattern

shays4me

Willing Wanderer
IMO they look good there but they don’t perform good there. I’ve had lights on the top of the windshield before and learned that there was enough reflection off of the hood to negate the pros of extra lights. Since then it’s been bumper mount only for me.

Outdoorsben

Observer
Appreciate the feedback. On an XJ I had lights on a roof basket and it lit up the hood a lot. Wasn't bothersome but certainly wasted some of the light output. I think I'll probably just find a way to mount them out front and pass on the pillar mount. I'd hate to not be happy with or not get great performance and have to do it all over again.

MTVR

I used hand-aimed Unity spot lights in the A-pillars of patrol cars for years, and it worked great.

In my personally-owned trucks, I have often supplemented the existing lighting with a hand-held spot light on trails, also with good results...

bitbckt

I have cube spots on the A pillars - the throw is long enough to miss the hood - and a flood bar low on the bumper.

Spot high/flood low has always worked well for me.

Goatdog

I like the 4" on the pillarsand the 6" on the front bumper.
df641ed71993d363cfdc8f2d7721c5a3.jpg
6a49910e58b1e3338dfbbfaf7dfc1d63.jpg

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

billiebob

I’ve had lights on the top of the windshield before and learned that there was enough reflection off of the hood to negate the pros of extra lights.
Same so I found a single row LED bar, mounted it back to avoid the glare off the hood and under the roof rack for protection.

DSCN1172.jpeg

The roof LED lights straight ahead and the a-pillar lights are turned out to light the sides of the road without too much glare off the hood. I use them exclusively off road and mostly on the beach where there is no trail to follow.

Heading Out

Adventurer
I have mounts on the A pillars, but no lights right now.
I have some rectangular flood lights that get mounted at an angle,
lighting to the sides. works well. (rectangular because my Jeep has square headlights)

I don't wheel at night so I removed the lights for now, because I like the clean look.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles