1949 International/Jeep Wrangler Rock Crawling & Overland Build

GoldiesGarage

Very cool thread, Nice build. I'll be following this one for sure.

KB's are super narrow. the the front ends are very long. The LS series engines would fit in the engine bay but the frame shock towers got in the way. I plan to fab up new ones. I didn't realize KB 5+ fenders bolt on. With all the money spent already, I can't justify spending more on other fenders and they would not match the Patina that is currently on my truck. I don't know about serious rock thrashing. I just want to be capable. I'm tired of being the slow guy/going around obstacle or parking my truck. 2006 GMC 2500 Diesel 4x4 isn't not made for the fast and fun off road life. Towing suspension is "Like a Rock". I would love to see another KB build, post some pictures here or if you have a thread let me know. As you can see, mine is not complete either. I just keep adding one part at a time. One day, I'll be able to drive it. Good luck with your build.

GoldiesGarage

I don't have very many good pics. This shop is so small I'll have to tear the header out above the garage door to get the truck out for a pic lol

I like it. Looking good.
You could get some smaller size tires so you can get it out easier. I personally want to get 40's not because they are 40's but because I don't want to re-gear from the 5.13s already installed. If I find a great deal or have money burning in my pocket. I have a set of 35 right now that should be able to keep me till I go to 40's.
KB5 fenders are wider then KB2? When you said KB5 I thought you were talking about/meant the bigger trucks KB6+
The frame Chevy frame had the same wheel base?
Looks almost drivable what is left to do?
I love how you say your shop is so small. * Cough* at least you have one *Cough* You could always work outside and brave the elements like I do. ??

GoldiesGarage

20200714_164516 60.jpg
Surprising to me, the factory exhaust manifolds clear the frame. I don't like the angle they dump out but it could work.
20200715_053734 60.jpg

20200715_053739 60.jpg

20200715_053749 60.jpg
I had a choice here fit the AC compressor or fit the Power steering pump reservoir container. I figured it would be easier to mod the power steering res then buy a whole front ACC Kit. I still don't know if I made the right decision. But If ever get some type of AC thing under the dash I think I could live with my decision.
20200715_053756 60.jpg
A/C compressor? , should be a win for future Eli.
20200715_110313 60.jpg

20200715_164909 60.jpg
These are my motor mounts frame side I made. Just some 1/4 inch plate cut them out and drilled a 5/8 hole in. I plan on adding a gusset on the inside. On the engine block I bought some mounts from Black Horse Racing off of amazon.
20200731_153350 60.jpg

Lilnuts

The KB-5 is a 1-1/2 ton version of the same truck as the KB-1,2 &3's, just bigger wheel cut outs for the stock 20" stock truck tires. The KB-6's and bigger are a different truck. I have a couple pics of the difference of the 2 fenders (yours and the KB-5) . I do have a pair of KB-5 fenders that are the same green as your truck, just sayin. In the pics the Rd fenders are the KB-3 and the orange are the 5 fenders.

My KB-3 is a long bed so yes the frame length is almost perfect. I do have smaller wheels/rims but still have to cut the header out. The elements in Denver can be be mighty harsh for working on an old truck.
Lots of misc things to do to get her completed.

3virs5 fender1.JPG78AG6078.JPG3virs5fender2.JPG

GoldiesGarage

The KB-5 is a 1-1/2 ton version of the same truck as the KB-1,2 &3's, just bigger wheel cut outs for the stock 20" stock truck tires. The KB-6's and bigger are a different truck. I have a couple pics of the difference of the 2 fenders (yours and the KB-5) . I do have a pair of KB-5 fenders that are the same green as your truck, just sayin. In the pics the Rd fenders are the KB-3 and the orange are the 5 fenders.

My KB-3 is a long bed so yes the frame length is almost perfect. I do have smaller wheels/rims but still have to cut the header out. The elements in Denver can be be mighty harsh for working on an old truck.
Lots of misc things to do to get her completed.

Oh, I see now. How interesting. I didn't realize the they made a 1-1/2 version. I would prefer not to cut up my rusty fenders for wheel clearance. You got me thinking.

Lilnuts

Maybe these KB-5 fenders would work for your build.

Attachments

• Fender 1.jpg
    Fender 1.jpg
    43.3 KB · Views: 36
  • Fender 2.jpg
    Fender 2.jpg
    45.5 KB · Views: 36
  • Fender 3.jpg
    Fender 3.jpg
    301.4 KB · Views: 35
  • FEnder 4.jpg
    FEnder 4.jpg
    386.3 KB · Views: 36
  • Fender 5.jpg
    Fender 5.jpg
    341.3 KB · Views: 34
  • Fender 7.jpg
    Fender 7.jpg
    176.2 KB · Views: 33
  • Fender 6.jpg
    Fender 6.jpg
    361 KB · Views: 35
  • Fender 8.jpg
    Fender 8.jpg
    376.8 KB · Views: 32

GoldiesGarage

With the help of ol' reliable my trusty credit card, I was able to get the parts to finish the front end rebuild.
RCV CV refinished. Met a gentleman named Dennis and he helped me get them cleaned & cadmium plated.
RCV races
RCV CV cover
RCV Axle tube seals - I had to trim the knuckle to make these work. ( I don't know if it was a waste of money or not.)
Teraflex Bump Stops
Front Calipers (New to me)
Front Rotors (New to me)
Front Fox shocks (New to me) My brothers take offs. *Side note* 2006 Ram 2500 6 inch lift front shocks bolted on to my 4 inch lift JK frame.

Getting these races out was SUCH A PAIN. The left one is full of trans fluid. I left it in there for 3 months. I don't think it helped. I just got a bigger hammer.
20191003_191336 60.jpg

20200602_215012.jpg

20201120_071352.jpg

20201122_151033.jpg

20201122_151728.jpg

20201122_151046 60.jpg

20201122_134232.jpg

20201122_163550.jpg

20201123_121754 60.jpg

20201125_113954 60.jpg
No more fire damage. :cool:

GoldiesGarage

All of this wiring was in the Chevy. I'm going to do my best and trim it down to be able to start it. Problem is the are so many computers and fused boxes/junction boxes. I did some jerry rigging and got some of the lights to turn on but sure seems like a ton of wires and what nots to fit in my KB2. While it was on the floor I took out the air bag wires.

20201008_135218.jpg

20201008_135228.jpg

Did a test fit and tried to turn the engine over. The speedo was like ERROR this ERROR that. I tried to start it anyways. It didn't do anything. I know I didn't have the T-case installed but that shouldn't of stopped it from tuning the starter. While I was looking at the harness and looking at the trucks space. I knew there was no was to get all of this mess in my tiny truck. I broke down and did something I didn't want to do. I called on ol' reliable again and I ordered a stand alone harness from Speartech. I used them before with my brothers 1950 Dodge B2B LQ4 build. Great news too... My L96 computer E78 is not supported buy any harness in the aftermarket world. I think the E78 ECU communicates with the BCM to much. So I had to buy a new ECU (E36). Just most aftermarket support this ECU. Since I have the 6L90 transmission, I added the manual switch to my order, so I can manually change gears. All In all a very expensive learning experience. This new wire harness cost me almost 2k?.
20201208_112155 60.jpg

20201208_112149 60.jpg

*LS engine side notes*
L96 equipped Chevy vans come with a E36 ECU. Which will save you money.

GoldiesGarage

With the increased spending, I have to do something that is cheaper. So, I started messing with my headlights and Tail lights. Thank god, I found my headlight buckets and bezels were behind the seat. About $300 to get a used set. The seller didn't know where they where. Anyways, I had my brother buy some 7 inch LED headlights for his B2B. But when he came back from his deployment he said they were ugly and just wanted to run with what the truck came with. Cool... on the shelf they sat. Knowing that KB2 has 7 inch headlights too, I went looking for them. I put them in the buckets they didn't fit. I had to shave down some of the LED Heat sinks and open up the bucket some more. Once in, I was not a fan of the look. Way too modern but free is free. In a box I had a sealed beam lense split apart and an idea came to me. I can probably fit the seal beam lense on top of the LED headlight....

20201029_085653 60.jpg

20201030_100419.jpg

20201107_212421.jpg

For the taillights, I bought an old 50's ford bed with some nice round taillights. But one of the lense was cracked. Searching high and low for these round Ford tail lights. I could not find them. On the internet I couldn't find another truck with them too. Pretty lame right? But one day after trying to search for Ford tail light lenses again on ebay, a listing of round lense popped up. It said Chevy 67-72 hmmm... Sure enough, someone put Chevy tail lights on their Ford truck. Personally, I think the Chevy rear lights look better than the Ford rear lights of that era. So when looking up lenses for the Chevy I found a great deal on a super clean set, lenses, housings and mounting brackets for almost the price of new lenses. So, I bought the set and also bought a set of lense for the housings I already have.
For lighting the rear lights, I have a set of these LED strips. Which has everything you need built in, flashing brake lights, running lights and SEQUENTIAL turn signals in a nice compact package. These things are awesome for retrofitting old tail lights. I am using these LEDs in my 56 Chevy and my Brother's B2B.
Sadly, they don't make them anymore :(
but this is they came out.
20200805_162709.jpg

20200805_162704.jpg

autism family travels

I was apprehensive at first, but man, you did a bang up job on this rig....to the point you inspired me to build a shop truck myself. I want a long truck frame to start from. 2wd would be fine for this one. Thanks for posting this!

Buddha.

Finally in expo white.
I have the same truck your drivetrain came out of.
Your lighter truck and 5.13 gears it’s gonna rip.
Btw I use the electronic shift transfer case to get up my driveway every day in the winter and it’s always shifted perfectly.

GoldiesGarage

I was apprehensive at first, but man, you did a bang up job on this rig....to the point you inspired me to build a shop truck myself. I want a long truck frame to start from. 2wd would be fine for this one. Thanks for posting this!
You were apprehensive... I was apprehensive. I don't know what I'm doing but I have a dream and a goal. I think it is starting to come together. I'm super excited that you got inspired by reading this. In all honesty, every truck I dabble with tells me how to build it. Said part will not fit. So, I guess I have to try something else or go a different direction. You only get some much room to play with, you know what I mean... Anyways good luck with your Shop Truck Build. Shop trucks are dope. Feel free to post your build thread link in here. This path is not for the faint of heart. When you feel like setting your shop truck on ?FIRE? don't. Grab a donut? or cookie? and take a break. Also, spend the money and do it right the first time. It will be cheaper in the long run. Future you will thank you. Again Good Luck.

I have the same truck your drivetrain came out of.
Your lighter truck and 5.13 gears it’s gonna rip.
Btw I use the electronic shift transfer case to get up my driveway every day in the winter and it’s always shifted perfectly.
How do you like your truck? Have any major problems with it or anything I should be aware of? I would stick my drivetrain in the High Mileage category. I plan on using the chassis to resurrect my first truck build I ever did, My 1956 Chevy 5600.
This thing better rip... my new wiring harness should show up tomorrow. Who knows, it might make some noise soon... About the transfer case, I wouldn't have a problem if it was a manual T-Case. The problem I have is that there are like 4 computers/electronic components for it. Since I can't fit that wiring mess in the KB-2, the T-Case has to go with it. That's why I can use it. I was looking in to buying the same T-Case but manual but I went a different route. Due to, I want it built right(what I think is Right) the first time. Trust me I'll post some pictures of what is replacing the Electronic T-Case, If it ever gets here. Over built is better then under built.

GoldiesGarage

I am at the point where I need to think/build an exhaust system. I know I have to put stacks on my truck because I want to match my brothers Dodge B2B. My neighbor gave me a set of glass packs. I also stole off my CorVuck project, the Magnaflow mufflers I was planning to use. So This truck will have four mufflers two under the cab and the two Glass packs stacks. If I want to, I can remove the sacks and just have behind the cab dumps. This whole system will be 3 inch. I bought a set of Flowtech Headers, 4 ft. straight pipe(for Pie Cuts), 2 - Flex couplers, 4 - 45* bends, and 2 - V-Band clamps, I cut a hole in the rear of my Cab and went to work.

20201207_155251 60.jpg
20201210_122814 60.jpg
20210118_141615 60.jpg
20201210_085129 60.jpg
20201210_133812 60.jpg
20210103_162829 60.jpg
20201210_142416 60.jpg
20210104_074018 60.jpg
Grinding all the welds took over a hour. And then I would have to do the other side...I really wish I knew how to TIG.
20210104_083253 60.jpg
20210106_125005 60.jpg

Buddha.

Finally in expo white.
How do you like your truck? Have any major problems with it or anything I should be aware of? I would stick my drivetrain in the High Mileage category. I plan on using the chassis to resurrect my first truck build I ever did, My 1956 Chevy 5600.
This thing better rip... my new wiring harness should show up tomorrow. Who knows, it might make some noise soon... About the transfer case, I wouldn't have a problem if it was a manual T-Case. The problem I have is that there are like 4 computers/electronic components for it. Since I can't fit that wiring mess in the KB-2, the T-Case has to go with it. That's why I can use it. I was looking in to buying the same T-Case but manual but I went a different route. Due to, I want it built right(what I think is Right) the first time. Trust me I'll post some pictures of what is replacing the Electronic T-Case, If it ever gets here. Over built is better then under built.
I had an O2 sensor go out and it threw everything into limp mode, that was annoying.
I’ve had to replace the exhaust manifold bolts because they rusted and broke causing a leak.
I recently changed the serpentine belt/ac belt/tensioner pulley/idler pulley because something was making noise. It’s quiet again.
I’ve had the truck from 90k to now 155k. It’s been reliable enough. Makes enough power. I’ve never seen the trans temp go over 185ish.

Towing my 30 foot travel trailer loaded up we were 18,000 pounds combined truck and trailer going over all the Colorado passes. We were slower than the turbo diesel/eco boost trucks but still faster than the semi trucks. I wasn’t pushing it as hard as I could have.
I wish it made its power a thousand rpm slower. I get weird about holding it much above 4,000rpm for an extended period of time, even though supposedly it doesn’t mind.
That’s with stock tuning, all the factory coolers, 4.10 gears and 33’s.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles