Where can I shoot?

MTVR

Pretty simple actually. Basic self defense law allows the would-be victim to to employ as much force is required to remove the threat.

Cite the exact law you're claiming contradicts the legal definition of a deadly weapon in your state.

IdaSHO

IDACAMPER
Far from it.

Its very simple really. But we all know you like to argue just to argue.

From the link above.

(b) "Deadly weapon" means:
(i) Any dirk, dirk knife, bowie knife, dagger or firearm;
(ii) Any other weapon, device, instrument, material or substance that is designed and manufactured to be readily capable of causing death or serious bodily injury; or
(iii) Any other weapon, device, instrument, material or substance that is intended by the person to be readily capable of causing death or serious bodily injury.

As I said, it all has to do with INTENT. A bat is not, in itself, a deadly weapon.

To make the point more clear, there are plenty of laws forbidding the use of deadly weapons that are already listed as such.
There are NO laws forbidding the possession of would be deadly weapons (like a bat) unless there is intent.

MTVR

Go back and read what I ACTUALLY posted, not what you THOUGHT I posted:

A baseball bat carried for the purpose of defending yourself, is legally considered a "deadly weapon" in every state I've ever lived or worked in.

IdaSHO

IDACAMPER
Perhaps you should do the same.
The point being?

When used in self defense, it (typically) doesn't matter.

Nowhere does that pertain to self defense.
And for good reason.

But that is the gist of this conversation. Two ways to interpret such open ended laws.

Is a bat considered a deadly weapon in some instances? Yes.
Is it a deadly weapon? Well, its actually designed to be used for baseball, so....
May it be used for deadly force in self defense? Hell yes.

And that's the point.

You can argue all day long about your interpretation of the laws.
But at the end of the day its not a weapon until used as one or even intent, because when used in self defense, being a weapon or not, it doesn't matter.

Do you honestly think ANY court in Idaho would give me grief if I put down an intruder with a baseball bat?
I thought not.

quickfarms

Adventurer
This is odd. Almost 100 posts in a thread and not one mention of a custom ordered convertible Porsche.

I do carry my custom titanium walking stick with a very sharp pointed tip on it.

All of my vehicles do have an appropriate tool in them. It is funny that the most convenient place to store said tool is either alongside behind the drivers seat and in all the years and inspections it has never been called a weapon by a LEO.

Remember that the lug wrench included with every car was meant to take off properly torqued lug nuts at best and is useless if the kid used the big impact gun

Of course this won’t work in a convertible Porsche

Reactions: GHI

IdaSHO

IDACAMPER
All the years I drove truck (retail building supply) down in CA, delivering to nasty parts of town as well as deep into reservations,
the two things I had on my person when I left the cab...

Cheap beef jerky and the winch bar.

Both in hand for more than their prescribed purpose. ;)

MTVR

20210119_193723.jpg

Well, since the Porsche convertible has been brought up, I will share that my 14.5" M4 fits behind the seat, and since an M4 and a baseball bat carried for self-defense are both legally defined as deadly weapons, I figured what the heck, the M4 is probably a MUCH quicker and more efficient way to reduce a violent felon's rate of recidivism to zero... :)

Photobug

one issue with bear spray is people don't practice with it because it is expensive. go waste a couple of cans and for sheetz and giggles spray yourself. It a oh crap moment that can happen and you should spray your self so you know how you will react. I have lost count of the times I have been sprayed and the more you get sprayed the less it affects you, never gets pleasant but at least you will know how you will react.

Are you and LEO or military Why have you had the opportunity to get sprayed?

Dendy Jarrett

Expedition Portal Admin
Staff member
I'm issuing a warning here to proceed in this conversation cautiously. We are monitoring it for those who may take it towards a political slant or for trolling others to argue.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles