Diesel Heater Silencers?

Bravo30

For the record, I don’t mind the noise coming from the exhaust but it’s only a matter of time before some clown calls the cops on me and reports “suspicious black van with strange noise”

What are some decent options for a 1” exhaust line? I’m already getting an exhaust line extension to get some more separation from the combustion air intact so I figured I’d try an add a quality silencer in the line somewhere. Do they make anything for dirt bikes or lawnmowers that I could repurpose? A guy on another forum said he uses 2 silencers like pictured below in line and that helps a lot with the noise

thoughts? D1D4C53B-EE5C-440B-AF7F-F2738B17DC9D.jpeg

Bravo30

That looks like a Webasto muffler, which goes for $35. That seems like a pretty decent price to me for a purpose built part from a manufacturer that has a good reputation. https://www.heatso.com/webasto-exhaust-silencer-muffler-22mm/

But hey, if you want to spend numerous hours looking for a cheaper part to spend more time to modify and probably wont work as good, it's your choice.

I have that silencer already. It definitely helps, just not enough.

JDaPP

Adventurer
The guy on Venture 4wd/ursa minor jeep had a gas heater installed and the installer plumbed the exhaust into the jeep's exhaust/muffler, maybe that would help?

javajoe79

Fabricator
The guy on Venture 4wd/ursa minor jeep had a gas heater installed and the installer plumbed the exhaust into the jeep's exhaust/muffler, maybe that would help?
That is advised against. I’ve still been considering it though. At the least you would want a shut off valve between the heater exhaust and the truck exhaust or you could be pushing engine exhaust through the heater when the the engine is running.

Charles R

Adventurer
That is advised against. I’ve still been considering it though. At the least you would want a shut off valve between the heater exhaust and the truck exhaust or you could be pushing engine exhaust through the heater when the the engine is running.

I'm not sure if these can truly handle the temps of the heater exhaust, but...
This is a crank case scavenging valve. These are a one way valve that goes between your engine crankcase and your exhaust system. They use the exhaust pulses to create a vacuum in the crankcase They are an old school performance trick. (They're also just an early smog device, designed to introduce fresh air into the exhaust stream for some exhaust gases re-burn action)

Again, I'm not really sure if they can actually handle the heater exhaust temps, but they're built to handle a fair amount of heat. Typically, they are threaded onto a short bung that's mounted directly to your exhaust headers.

Last edited:

javajoe79

Fabricator
This is a crank case scavenging valve. These are a one way valve that goes between your engine crankcase and your exhaust system. They use the exhaust pulses to create a vacuum in the crankcase They are an old school performance trick. (They're also just an early smog device, designed to introduce fresh air into the exhaust stream for some exhaust gases re-burn action)

Again, I'm not really sure if they can actually handle the heater exhaust temps, but they're built to handle a fair amount of heat. Typically, they are threaded onto a short bung that's mounted directly to your exhaust headers.
I'm not sure those would flow enough and may provide a restriction at best. The manufacturers state that the heater exhaust has to be free flowing and a restriction will cause issues. I thought about using a high temperature ball valve.

broncobowsher

Adventurer

No, they won't take it. They are a fresh air check valve. Cooled by the fresh air passing through them. They are not intended for exhaust gasses to be passing through them. They are also too restrictive. Everything I have read up on these heaters is you don't want to choke the intake or the exhaust.

As for splicing the heater into the last 8" of a vehicle exhaust, not going to do anything about the sound. If it was before the muffler or even before the last bend in the exhaust it might do something. But where they put it in the Jeep there is zero benefit in sound control.

Sal R.

Possible solutions I've come across are the webasto marine mufflers and dirt bike mufflers.

Haven't tried them since they don't fit in my install.

javajoe79

Fabricator
No, they won't take it. They are a fresh air check valve. Cooled by the fresh air passing through them. They are not intended for exhaust gasses to be passing through them. They are also too restrictive. Everything I have read up on these heaters is you don't want to choke the intake or the exhaust.

As for splicing the heater into the last 8" of a vehicle exhaust, not going to do anything about the sound. If it was before the muffler or even before the last bend in the exhaust it might do something. But where they put it in the Jeep there is zero benefit in sound control.
I didn’t even see that on the jeep. Maybe I skipped past it. That’s definitely pointless

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rinzlerz