Off-Road Trailer Build - Pump Trailer Transformation

I appreciate the feedback guys, I have the trailer usable now and just got back from putting over 2,000 miles on it. We took it on a trip along the gulf coast from Texas to Florida and back.

The trailer did great!

There are still lots of things I want to add and streamline but its nice to be able to have it far enough along to use!

I'll try to continue to post about the process of getting it to where it is now if you guys are interested.

Here's a teaser shot from our trip...

1229201007a~2_compress59.jpg

Last edited:
After getting electrical components layed out the way I wanted them, I cut holes in box for conduit penetrations and I built a panel out of aluminum composite to hold my switch/circuit breaker panel, and battery monitor display.

I also welded on little gas struts to hold the battery box lids open and keep them from opening to far and hitting the front wall of the main trailer box to come.

1119200804_compress52.jpg

1119200809_compress65.jpg

1119200900_HDR_compress27.jpg

1119200859_HDR_compress54.jpg

Next I started building wires to connect everything including RedArc BCDC charger, Victron shore power charger, 2000w pure sine wave inverter, and Victron battery monitor.

1124201847_compress10.jpg

Last edited:
After getting the electrical hooked up and water lines run, it was time to start measuring and cutting the aluminum composite panels to fit for the skin.

1115201326_compress5.jpg

I used 3M commercial vehicle VHB tape to attach the panels to the frame.

1115202032_HDR_compress61.jpg

1115202112a_compress96.jpg

1115202125_compress93.jpg

Cutting the side panels was pretty straight forward.

I wanted to do the front and roof all as one piece so it took some testing to get the measurements right for the bend cuts for the angles up front.

Last edited:

high-and-dry

If I was building an extreme offroad trailer this is how I would do it. Mash it roll it etc. Just rip the skin off and slap another on with some new tape.

If I was building an extreme offroad trailer this is how I would do it. Mash it roll it etc. Just rip the skin off and slap another on with some new tape.

The tape was pretty easy to use and I like that it also provides a waterproof seal. That stuff is crazy strong though, I don't want to ever have to replace a panel! I think I'd rather remove a bunch of screws than try to fight to remove the panels from the tape! It is supposed to get stronger with age and I could barely get it off if a small area touched when trying to line the panels up before pressing them on.

After a couple a test cuts on scrap pieces I finally got the measurements for the bends right. Took some work to get top piece on and press it down smoothly from front to back with out letting it get stuck somewhere else. I was happy with the result when I finally got it on though.

The doors went pretty smooth with just a little trimming.

1119202143a_compress17.jpg

1119202142a_compress46.jpg

Last edited:
I already had the holes drilled through the frame for the bolts that hold the telescoping tent rack posts, but had to drill through the aluminum composite and put it all on to make sure it my measurements were right after the skin was on.

1122201516_HDR_compress33~2.jpg

Last edited:

high-and-dry

Next time you need to do the tape, just peel enough to put the end around the edge of the metal to the inside. Then start the panel on that inch or so, have some one press as you peel the rest of the liner from the inside.

about 7:30 in the below video

Next time you need to do the tape, just peel enough to put the end around the edge of the metal to the inside. Then start the panel on that inch or so, have some one press as you peel the rest of the liner from the inside.

about 7:30 in the below video

That's basically how I got the top/front on. Started at the front and worked our way to the back. On the sides we stripped all the tape and lined it up and one person held as the other started pressing/rolling it from the front to the back.
This was the only part of the job I wasn't able to do by myself. My dad helped me with the sides and a friend helped me with the top/front.

ITTOG

What did you attach your tape to? Did you paint the frame or powder coat it? Curious because I am planning to powder coat and attach my ACM via VHB tape as well. What VHB tape series did you buy? I am looking at the 59xx series per 3M. But they told me the best option is to attach the tape to bare metal.

What did you attach your tape to? Did you paint the frame or powder coat it? Curious because I am planning to powder coat and attach my ACM via VHB tape as well. What VHB tape series did you buy? I am looking at the 59xx series per 3M. But they told me the best option is to attach the tape to bare metal.

I prepped and thoroughly cleaned the frame before painting with Rust Protector Enamel before using the tape.

I used 3M CV62F tape.

I talked to 3M about what was best to use also and they said CV62F was the best but that you have to be a manufacturer to buy that tape and he recommended other consumer # tape (can't remember exact numbers but seems like it was 49xx or 59 xx). I found the CV62 tape online and just entered my work info and they sold it to me.

old_CWO

Cool transformation from work horse to play toy. Just curious, why start with the pump trailer instead of a scratch build?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles