Height needed to remove body?

tcg144

Van doesn’t fit in my attached garage, and wife’s car is usually in there anyway. Pricing out options to build a detached and not sure which way I want to go with ceiling height. I know I can get by with 10’ walls and 9’ door but thinking about a lift. Im considering 12’-4” walls. I know I’m not going to walk under a van or truck at that height but I mainly want to be able to pull the body off the van. My other vehicles wouldn’t be an issue.

How much height is needed to remove a van body from the frame?

thanks in advance for any help

Attachments

• ABAAF53F-48D5-41E5-A2EE-562FCD3798E9.jpeg
    ABAAF53F-48D5-41E5-A2EE-562FCD3798E9.jpeg
    361.3 KB · Views: 21

Chuck1

The engine is the highest part, i would guess about two feet above your van roof to have room.

Taking the roof rack off would get you a few inches, get a tape and crawl around under it and get some numbers.

Lilnuts

There is a thread on here recently and copied his pic here. This should give you some idea of the height needed.
Looks to be close to 30"
1608738457870.png

WOODY2

Adventurer
Check with your local Building Dept., lately there has been a move to curtail overall height of accessory structures.

tcg144

Thanks for the info everyone. I did talk to the township and I need to keep it less than the height of my house which won’t be an issue.

vintageracer

To Infinity and Beyond!
Build your shack with a ceiling height of 12 feet tall at a minimum. Also make that garage door a 10 x 10 door. With a minimum ceiling height of 12 feet you can also take full advantage of a 2 post lift if you decide to purchase one in the future.

By the way a 2 post lift is the best tool I have ever purchased for use in my home shop.

86scotty

Cynic
Build your shack with a ceiling height of 12 feet tall at a minimum. Also make that garage door a 10 x 10 door. With a minimum ceiling height of 12 feet you can also take full advantage of a 2 post lift if you decide to purchase one in the future.

By the way a 2 post lift is the best tool I have ever purchased for use in my home shop.

That's exactly what I did, same specs exactly. My 2 post lift is by miles the best 'tool' I've ever purchased but not everyone can swing the space or cost. I can attest to this though. I'm never without company on a weekend and my beer fridge is never empty.

quickfarms

Adventurer
Check with your local Building Dept., lately there has been a move to curtail overall height of accessory structures.

If you call it a RV garage that automatically allows 14 foot tall doors but you have to maintain standard building setbacks and not accessory building setbacks.

At least that’s how it works around here

Swede.

It's easy, check local build codes based on different classification (regular garage vs. RV vs. 'shop' etc.) and then build maximum hight and size you can afford. You'll NEVER have to much room or hight!
It's not like you'll regret having to much room under the rig when you lift the body off...

MTVR

It's easy, check local build codes based on different classification (regular garage vs. RV vs. 'shop' etc.) and then build maximum hight and size you can afford. You'll NEVER have to much room or hight!
It's not like you'll regret having to much room under the rig when you lift the body off...

Yup. I've got 14' tall doors on a 2,300 square foot shop, and I'm very thankful for all that space.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FranklinDufresne