FGB71 transfer case actuator light not lit

Just picked up a 2013 Canter, which has about 22,000 Km on the clock, and has been sitting in someone's backyard for the last 2.5 years.

When I pushed the 4x4 switch, the 4x4 indicator does not come on, where should I start looking?

Looks the last owner had never used 4x4.

It could either be:

1) electrical problem with the green indicator? If so, how can I tell if it is in 4x4 mode without going for a run into the hills.

2) or actuation problem? the vacuum tubings? how do I determine that.

Any pointers would be appreciated.

Cheers

kerry

Expedition Leader
You can usually feel the front wheels driving if you make a tight turn with 4wd engaged on a hard surface. If it feels no different than 2wd it’s not engaged.

MJCake1

Just picked up a 2013 Canter, which has about 22,000 Km on the clock, and has been sitting in someone's backyard for the last 2.5 years.

When I pushed the 4x4 switch, the 4x4 indicator does not come on, where should I start looking?

Looks the last owner had never used 4x4.

It could either be:

1) electrical problem with the green indicator? If so, how can I tell if it is in 4x4 mode without going for a run into the hills.

2) or actuation problem? the vacuum tubings? how do I determine that.

Any pointers would be appreciated.

Cheers

I have a 2015 fg72s and the light was not coming on or engaging. For a second I would see a vacuum light on at times upon startup but went off quickly. I took it to a shop where they could put it on a lift to check easily.
There is a small vacuum tube on the side of the transfer case that had a small split on the back side you could see. That fixed it, 5 minutes, no charge.
I made a quick video link below.

Thanks for everyone's input.

Yep, I don't think it is an electrical problem with the indicator light, at least at this stage. The front propeller can rotate 4x4 mode.

I checked the vacuum hose, at least one is cracked, the one nearest the DPF (?), So I'll go and replace the hoses when Repco reopens.

It looks like the vacuum source comes from the front somewhere. Is there an electrical vacuum pump, or I have to start the engine to have it working? It looks like there are two metal hoses coming from the front, they seem to feed into some sort of a "junction box, which sends the feed tubes to the transfer case, and possibly other places? Anyone knows how that works. I checked the Chassis Workshop Manual under TRANSFER, found no information unless I look at the wrong place.

Thanks for any pointers.

BigSkyBrad

I had the same issue with my FGB71- both vacuum and actuator were dodgy due to the truck sitting before I bought it. Bought a length of silicone vacuum hose and replaced all the vacuum lines, and greased the pivot arm joints between the actuator and the transfer case engaging rod.

kerry

Expedition Leader
4d34 engine has a vacuum pump on the front of the block. Don’t know about other engines

Thanks everyone. I shall look into it more once this RAINY X'mas is over. Yes it is raining right now.

Also, I was wondering whether it is actually a "vacuum" actuation, or is "pressure" actuation? The reason I ask is if there are also other leaks in the system, e.g. the metal tubings, how could I tell. I was thinking of using my air compressor and soap bubbles method to see where the leaks could be? By applying pressure into the system, (1) how best to do it? (2) would I damage anything ?

Quote 4d34 engine has a vacuum pump on the front of the block. Don’t know about other engines UnQjuote

Hi Kerry, engine run, or electrical ?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94

Members online