Wire protection ideas

The good commercial aftermarket harness manufacturer's use Techflex. It is an open type weave so sand and dirt do not get trapped yet provides abrasive protection. It is a self closing flexible wrap. For what you are wanting to do I would use any of the F6, F360, F6H products. F360 is not a wrap but tubular.
https://www.techflex.com/default.asp

paranoid56

Adventurer
Exactly. And not cheap tape. Good quality 3M Scotch brand tape.

yep, just make sure you have all the wires planned lol. i redid mine a few times with unrapping the tape then redoing it. I think for the few runs i did i went though 5 roles of good 3m 88 tape. i was very unamused lol

brianjwilson

Some sort of lost...
I used techflex for the battery wiring on my Tacoma. Great stuff. Good abrasion protection and doesn't trap stuff, as stated. It shouldn't build up/retain heat like other solutions either, which would require larger wiring. Use some adhesive heat shrink at the ends to hold it together. There was a section where I ran the wire over the transmission, and I used plastic split look additionally there because it was a spot where I couldn't readily inspect it.

dstefan

I’m resurrecting this thread to ask about stainless steel loom. I am running a pair of six AWG cables from my starter battery to the bed of my Tundra along the frame to power a DC DC charger for my lithium battery. We have rodent problems all around my house, and I have to park the Tundra outside. No problems yet (because I spent too much time and effort eradicating everything I could find), but they’ll come back.

I’m pretty sure from the reviews this stuff will stop any chewing. My bigger questions are: Is there any problem with potential wear on the wire insulation from a stainless steel mesh? And, are there any electrical interference issues? The one seriously negative review that concerned me on Amazon was a guy claiming that the electrical interference on fried his motorcycle battery. I’d plan to cover the wires most of the way to the starter battery.

There are other non-metallic protective rooms available they claim to be rodent proof, but they have capsacian imbedded in the lines, and I’m not at all confident that’s going to last and not wear out it’s punch overtime. Plus those products are only available in 100’ Spools and cost an arm and a leg. I only need the 25 feet.

DaveInDenver

Middle Income Semi-Redneck
I’m resurrecting this thread to ask about stainless steel loom. I am running a pair of six AWG cables from my starter battery to the bed of my Tundra along the frame to power a DC DC charger for my lithium battery. We have rodent problems all around my house, and I have to park the Tundra outside. No problems yet (because I spent too much time and effort eradicating everything I could find), but they’ll come back.

I’m pretty sure from the reviews this stuff will stop any chewing. My bigger questions are: Is there any problem with potential wear on the wire insulation from a stainless steel mesh? And, are there any electrical interference issues? The one seriously negative review that concerned me on Amazon was a guy claiming that the electrical interference on fried his motorcycle battery. I’d plan to cover the wires most of the way to the starter battery.

There are other non-metallic protective rooms available they claim to be rodent proof, but they have capsacian imbedded in the lines, and I’m not at all confident that’s going to last and not wear out it’s punch overtime. Plus those products are only available in 100’ Spools and cost an arm and a leg. I only need the 25 feet.
That metal braid Techflex stuff is tough and it's used on electrical wiring often for EM shielding. The thing to watch is the ends. When they use it in high reliability applications (the stuff is used all over spacecraft and aerospace wiring harnesses, for example) the connector backshell is designed to retain the end with a clamp or compression fitting.

DSC04266(4)-less-contrast(1)_500.jpg

The reason for that is the strands are little needles that can pierce the insulation or get stuck in the back of the connector and cause issues like shorts. So there's a shoulder for the shielding to rest against as a preventive.

As an outer sheath on an individual heavy cable or coax that's not as much of a worry. I usually just roll it back on itself before using some heat shrink to finish it.

Whether that's better than a good clean end just left under the heat shrink I couldn't say to be honest. EPDM rubber is itself pretty tough stuff, too, so some tiny wire strands aren't going to be a major concern.

Either way you need the heat shrink otherwise the braid will start to work itself loose like the other end of this short length.

IMG_0747_mid.jpg

dstefan

Thanks Dave. Sounds like if I manage the ends its all good? Have you had some in use for quite a while with good results?

DaveInDenver

Middle Income Semi-Redneck
Thanks Dave. Sounds like if I manage the ends its all good? Have you had some in use for quite a while with good results?
Use good sharp cutters and don't let it fray, it'll be fine.

I only use the stuff on my truck for ground straps. For wire protection I use decent quality split loom to bundle wires and if I have heavy cables going over a sharp edge I have sort of a @LandCruiserPhil approach and use old garden hose or bicycle inner tubes for extra protection. My feeling is using quality cable with good insulation and keeping it retained (clips, zip ties, clamps, etc.) is fine. No need for a belt and suspenders.

Might be worthwhile for your attempt at protecting against chewing, though.

dstefan

Haha… I was thinking about 1/2” poly dripline tubing. May still use it in some less open areas. Two 6AWG wires fit just enough to push through, though I have seen the @#*% rats or rabbits eat through that in my yard, hence my infatuation with the stainless mesh! Thanks again…

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles