'21 Ford Ranger Lariat WHY NOT?

85_Ranger4x4

Sounds like you need a 1 ton crew cab long box... lol Maybe though some extra laves and airbags in there too :LOL:

It isn't that heavy, something like 800lbs dry. My old pig hauls it fine but a second vehicle is required due to the seating situation. In the brochure it is actually shown in another 7' bed Ranger. My F-150 (with a 6.5' bed) doesn't really care it is there... I think a crew cab longbed '150 could still get me on trails with the Skamper and would have more stability than my Ranger could offer.

Todd n Natalie

OverCamper
It isn't that heavy, something like 800lbs dry. My old pig hauls it fine but a second vehicle is required due to the seating situation. In the brochure it is actually shown in another 7' bed Ranger. My F-150 (with a 6.5' bed) doesn't really care it is there... I think a crew cab longbed '150 could still get me on trails with the Skamper and would have more stability than my Ranger could offer.

I was trying to be funny recommending a 1 ton for a camper that fits a Ranger, lol

But, yeah. Thinking a Super crew F150 HDPP might be an ideal truck for myself too.

phsycle

Adventurer
@Victorian - Going from an Outback to Ranger, you will be disappointed with the rear seat room. It’s pretty tight back there. As with any midsize truck.

Do yourself a favor and get an F150 for nearly the same price. Super Cab has more room than a CC Ranger. But Super Crew is amazing. Plus you get better power, better safety, more capacity, and same mileage.

Size, you get used to. It’s really not that much bigger than the Ranger.
Ranger length/width: 211”/77.8”
F150 length/width: 232”/79.9” (length for Supercab 6.5’ bed and Super crew 5.5’)

Only 2” wider and 21” longer.

Last edited:

85_Ranger4x4

@Victorian - Going from an Outback to Ranger, you will be disappointed with the rear seat room. It’s pretty tight back there. As with any midsize truck.

Do yourself a favor and get an F150 for nearly the same price. Super Cab has more room than a CC Ranger. But Super Crew is amazing. Plus you get better power, better safety, more capacity, and same mileage.

Size, you get used to. It’s really not that much bigger than the Ranger.
Ranger length/width: 211”/77.8”
F150 length/width: 232”/79.9” (length for Supercab 6.5’ bed and Super crew 5.5’)

Only 2” wider and 21” longer.

They do feel a lot bulkier though.

I have a F-150 and the new ones feel huge to me although on paper they are not that much bigger.

phsycle

Adventurer
They do feel a lot bulkier though.

I have a F-150 and the new ones feel huge to me although on paper they are not that much bigger.

You sit higher, wider interior, longer hood (I think) I’m sure attributes to the feel. But they’re not really that much bigger.

There will be times in life I’ll want a midsize again. But having kids at home, long distance trips, extended camp outings, aren’t one of those times.

D

Deleted member 9101

There will be times in life I’ll want a midsize again. But having kids at home, long distance trips, extended camp outings, aren’t one of those times.

That's exactly why I went with an F150 SuperCrew. When I bought mine (2017) the F150 got better gas mileage than a Tacoma and the Ranger wasn't available.

85_Ranger4x4

You sit higher, wider interior, longer hood (I think) I’m sure attributes to the feel. But they’re not really that much bigger.

I think the blockier more visable from the drivers seat hood and dash being farther back from the firewall with a deeper dash is a lot of it compared to my old F-150.

Ride height and width isn't much different. Newer ones just feel like an oil tanker compared to the two trucks I am used to which is what drew me to the Ranger to start with. I very much prefer the view from the new Ranger's bridge which has a lot less fluff... And the allure of being able to sneak my dd in the garage for repairs. I can just nose my current 150 in for oil changes or to pull a tire but 3/4 of the truck has to be outside.

CoreyHendo

...Do yourself a favor and get an F150 for nearly the same price. Super Cab has more room than a CC Ranger. But Super Crew is amazing. Plus you get better power, better safety, more capacity, and same mileage...
Car and Driver indicates that the Super Crew Ranger has more rear legroom than a Super Cab F-150 by about 1.5”. That extra space is important with booster seats for young kids because of the angle the booster seats out their legs.

CoreyHendo

To the OP, I have a 2020 Ranger Lariat (super crew). I specifically wanted a midsize pickup because I don’t like living with a full-size pickup daily. my wife and I have two boys (15 and 6 years old) - one is as tall as me and other is in a booster seat. I would like a little extra cab space, BUT to me the trade off in extra size isn’t worth it. Unless my oldest grows another foot taller, this truck is great for us.

If you have another other specific ranger questions, I’d be happy to answer

phsycle

Adventurer
Car and Driver indicates that the Super Crew Ranger has more rear legroom than a Super Cab F-150 by about 1.5”. That extra space is important with booster seats for young kids because of the angle the booster seats out their legs.

You might be right about that. It just felt bigger to me. But the F150 has more front legroom so maybe combined may be close to the same.

Plus the clam shell rear doors would drive me crazy.

nickw

Adventurer
Found this online. Got my head spinning.
I have a 19' Ranger with 30k miles at this point and love the truck for what it is! It's a midsize truck with midsize advantages....and disadvantages, but for a midsize I think it's the #1 rig on the market, when I first bought it I was slightly unsure, but after owning for 1.5 yrs now and previously owning a Tacoma, it's a great rig and love it more everyday.

I *almost* upsized to a F150, but honestly, just can't bring myself to get a bigger truck, love being able to get in/out of spots and maneuver. The 2.3 ecoboost is awesome, I've been loaded down with dirtbike + gear & mtb + gear while towing my 5k Airstream and it was great, but TIGHT, would get even better with a slightly stiffer OME lift, which is my eventual plan.

I wouldn't hesitate to throw a slide in camper in the sucker personally, less than 1000 lbs, my door sticker lists payload at 14XX. I really like the 4 wheel campers but have my heart set on one of these:

Last edited:

Todd n Natalie

OverCamper
I have a 19' Ranger with 30k miles at this point and love the truck for what it is! It's a midsize truck with midsize advantages....and disadvantages, but for a midsize I think it's the #1 rig on the market, when I first bought it I was slightly unsure, but after owning for 1.5 yrs now and previously owning a Tacoma, it's a great rig and love it more everyday.

I *almost* upsized to a F150, but honestly, just can't bring myself to get a bigger truck, love being able to get in/out of spots and maneuver. The 2.3 ecoboost is awesome, I've been loaded down with dirtbike + gear & mtb + gear while towing my 5k Airstream and it was great, but TIGHT, would get even better with a slightly stiffer OME lift, which is my eventual plan.

I wouldn't hesitate to throw a slide in camper in the sucker personally, less than 1000 lbs, my door sticker lists payload at 14XX. I really like the 4 wheel campers but have my heart set on one of these:

I like the Rangers, just not sure I'd want to tow my 23' travel trailer with it.

Sometimes I can feel it sway now with my F150 after an oncoming semi passes and don't want it to become a tail wagging the dog situation.

Also, even now when heading out, the 5'5" box is full. So also thinking that the Rangers smaller box might not work.

Now if we had a cabin and that was always our destination......

nickw

Adventurer
I like the Rangers, just not sure I'd want to tow my 23' travel trailer with it.

Sometimes I can feel it sway now with my F150 after an oncoming semi passes and don't want it to become a tail wagging the dog situation.

Also, even now when heading out, the 5'5" box is full. So also thinking that the Rangers smaller box might not work.

Now if we had a cabin and that was always our destination......
How much does your trailer weigh? Our AS is 20', towed from W Oregon, to N Cali, E Oregon, N Idaho, Montana and back including some big passes....with my WD hitch, never any issues and I am not a experienced trailer guy. I know the ASs have good aerodynamics, which may help? Biggest drawback to towing is the small 18.X gal tank, not horrible, but not ideal, I get 13-15 mpg towing. I thought about upgrading to a F150 with HDPP w/36 gal tank, just can't bring myself to do it for the 3-4 weeks a year it would be nicer vs the other 48 it would be a drawback.

Todd n Natalie

OverCamper
How much does your trailer weigh? Our AS is 20', towed from W Oregon, to N Cali, E Oregon, N Idaho, Montana and back including some big passes....with my WD hitch, never any issues and I am not a experienced trailer guy. I know the ASs have good aerodynamics, which may help? Biggest drawback to towing is the small 18.X gal tank, not horrible, but not ideal, I get 13-15 mpg towing. I thought about upgrading to a F150 with HDPP w/36 gal tank, just can't bring myself to do it for the 3-4 weeks a year it would be nicer vs the other 48 it would be a drawback.
Aerodynamics could def play into it as ours is not very aerodynamic.
IMG_0051.JPG

Weight is 3,900 lbs dry. We usually head out with our 33 gal water tank and two propane tanks full. Plus food and all the other junk you would normally bring for 4/5 people.

Pick up box is usually 1/2 full or firewood, plus the pictured cooler and a couple other misc items.

Last time we went out there were 3 kids (well two I guess are technically adults...lol) plus a medium sized dog. So, the space in the SuperCrew was appreciated.

But totally agree. For trips with just our 13 year old and dog, Ranger could possibly work??? Just wouldn't want to buy one to find out it doesn't.

And yes, for the 90% of the time I am not towing or hauling anything and just commuting, a Ranger be ideal.

I keep building F150's with the HDPP package too, haha.

The extra payload would be nice. And when you add the payload package it automatically adds max tow.

Capture1.png
Capture2.png

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles