2020 Northstar Liberty - Expedition Truck Camper Build!

andy_b

How do you filter water?

I noticed that “everyone” seems to have those blue CAMCO water filters on their hose connections. But… they are JUNK! They only filter down to 20 microns! That’s not enough to be safe.

Those large stainless Berkey Water Filters have gained popularity for RV travelers as well. But they are BULKY. Need to be stored while traveling and take up valuable counter space. Plus, they will clog quickly if using unfiltered source water.

Epic Water Filters are excellent for temporary water filtering solutions. They offer everything from backpack style filters to water pitchers and house filtration. It’s an easy, quick solution.

RV water filter store has some excellent solutions for filtering water as you fill your tank. This keep contaminants out of your tank and plumbing system. Their essential system includes 2 canisters which host a Sediment 1 Micron Filter and a Carbon .5 Micron Filter. This takes care of most all safety health risks.

Water Safe Pro offers fantastic filtration solutions for everything from simple to emergency type use. We use their filters post water tank before the faucet. The Model 212 filter features 2 cartridges. The first cartridge hosts a Carbon .5 Micron filter while the second hosts a 12V UV light system. This essentially ends all bacteria and virus hazards. We will be replacing the Carbon filter with the D-UC Ceramic filter which further increases filtration.

You might also consider a water softener if you have a large RV (extra space) and spend extended periods of time in areas with hard water (think the SW). Hard water minerals will still accumulate even with the above filters.

This is an ideal solution as it allow for clean, safe drinking water from nearly any source.

Product Links:
Epic Water Filters – Pitcher – Nano Water Filter : www.epicwaterfilters.com

RV Water Filter Store – Essential Water Filter System : www.rvwaterfilterstore.com
Pre Tank Filter: 2 Canister System. Sediment Filter 1 Micron. Carbon Filter .5 Micron

Water Safe Pro – 212 UV 2 Stage Filter : www.watersafepro.com
Post Tank Filter: 2 Canister System. Carbon .5 Micron Filter. UV Filter – 12volt.

We will be installing the D-UC Ceramic filter in place of the Carbon .5 Micron filter in the Post Tank system (from RVwaterfilterstore). This filter is impregnated to prevent bacterial growth and higher level filtration than Carbon style.

Any questions??

What are you using for your pump? Does it have the ability to draft water uphill (ie - a stream or water container outside of the truck) into your tank after passing through the filter?

montypower

Adventure Time!
Shurflo 3.0 GPM - Yes, it can siphon up to about 6ft distance. So we have to carry water jug to the camper and it can siphon from the jug/container.

montypower

Adventure Time!
Do you have pics of the camper guides you welded in your truck ?

We have the camper installed currently... Headed to Death Valley next week. So no pictures.

Video shows the guides. They are 1/4" aluminum L channel welded to the bed (which is also aluminum).

rruff

Explorer
I agree. Not a fan of bikes outside the vehicle. We built a platform for the bikes in the back of the truck cab. The platform actually bolted in directly from the Crew Cab to Extended Cab.
I thought that back seat area looked really big... then realized you must have done this video on your old crewcab. :LOL:

I was thinking about putting bikes in the back seat too, but that is such a prime and convenient area for heavy storage (water, tools, food, solar, chairs, table). My TT bike wouldn't fit back there anyway. So decided to design the camper to access them inside. Not something you can easily do with a standard camper though.

montypower

Adventure Time!
Yep. The crazy thing is... the platform bolted up directly to the extended cab. Bikes still fit! It looked feasible from the measurements but much tighter.

Absolutely love the shorter 148" wheelbase. That extra 12" in wheelbase is rather noticeable.

montypower

Adventure Time!

Our first truck camper was purchased brand new! 2016 Four Wheel Camper Hawk model and it was installed on a 2016 Toyota Tundra. The plan was for a more comfortable “overland” adventure vehicle for week or two week long expedition off road trips. With the ability to remove the camper and have a functional truck. Video tour:
However, I never removed the camper during the 9 months of ownership and spent 160 nights in the camper during that time! I was hooked. But with all that travel the desire for improved comfort was growing. Top of the list was indoor toilet, indoor shower, quieter and better in inclement weather.

The replacement vehicle was a 2010 Winnebago View on the Mercedes Sprinter Chassis. Check out the tour video:
Now, we have a 2020 Northstar Liberty Truck Camper mounted on a 2020 Ford F250 Super Duty. There were many things we loved about the truck camper. We really wanted a usable truck for projects and an easier to mount/unmount camper with for comforts than the Four Wheel Camper Offered. Video Tour:
Pop-up Camper Benefits:
Lower Height
1-2mpg Better
Lower Weight
Narrower 80” vs 84”
Spacious Open Feeling

Hardwall Camper Benefits:
Less Condensation
Quieter Inside
Better Insulation
More Storage
Less Expensive w/ Features
Easier Loading/Unloading
Better Windows
Bathroom + Shower Space
Better Usable Kitchen

So which is best for you??

montypower

Adventure Time!

On this adventure we drive deep into Death Valley on the “less traveled” roads to explore the Hanaupah Canyon Trail. This is an off road type trail the gradually degrades until the path is lost completely from erosion.

We started the trail late in the day and didn’t arrive at our camp until after dark. The next day we proceeded to the end of the “road” and hiked the a couple miles up the canyon to find the oasis spring. The trail into the canyon became overgrown with large loose rocks. It was a grand adventure! We heard the spring water and kept going until we found the green oasis.

The best part was relaxing on a tall boulder and enjoying the amazing landscape. I’m always surprised how many people don’t enjoy the destination.

We had fun on the road back out and tested the suspension on the truck. This was an incredible destination for off grid, remote beauty.

Have you been to Death Valley?

Regcabguy

Oil eater.

On this adventure we drive deep into Death Valley on the “less traveled” roads to explore the Hanaupah Canyon Trail. This is an off road type trail the gradually degrades until the path is lost completely from erosion.

We started the trail late in the day and didn’t arrive at our camp until after dark. The next day we proceeded to the end of the “road” and hiked the a couple miles up the canyon to find the oasis spring. The trail into the canyon became overgrown with large loose rocks. It was a grand adventure! We heard the spring water and kept going until we found the green oasis.

The best part was relaxing on a tall boulder and enjoying the amazing landscape. I’m always surprised how many people don’t enjoy the destination.

We had fun on the road back out and tested the suspension on the truck. This was an incredible destination for off grid, remote beauty.

Have you been to Death Valley?
Great rig and videos!

Crux

This might be an interesting option to mount bikes to the rear ladder, using Lolo rack carrier hooks:

I've got the hitch mount six bike rack and really like it.

Also, what are your thoughts on the new NuCamp Cirrus 620 - light, short, modern, but no inside shower...

montypower

Adventure Time!
That's a cool rack design! However, storing bikes outside does have the disadvantage of dirt, dust, wet and security. We store our MTB bikes inside the truck (check out mtb platform rack video). Love keeping stuff hidden - out of sight.

I love the innovation and design NuCamp offers. Really they are one of the most cutting edge in development in an industry that doesn't change or improve for decades.

There's a ton to like with the 620:
+ Styling
+ Low Weight
+ Layout
+Alde Heat/h2o heater (still propane but great tech)
+ Aluminum roof / Insulated Wall System
+ Ratchet Strap (tie down system) - this is HUGE. So many campers have ghetto attachments. Really a simplistic brilliant concept. Straps allow for some tension load allowing slight movement while maintaining holding force. My buddy just had his Four Wheel Camper fall out of his Tacoma. The turn buckles bent and out the camper went! FWC is terrible with product development. He contact them and they didn't take any responsibility even though the turn buckles were provided by FWC dealer and regularly checked. Alternatively, quality tie downs are expensive. You can easily have $1k plus into a camper mounting/retention system. Love the concept.
+ Insulated rear door - so much better than typical RV door crap (including the Northstar)
+ Awning Insulated Windows (love ours)
+ Cassette Toilet (love, love ours)
+ Dometic glass top stove (best stove - same we have)
+ Positive engagement "push button" cabinet latches (best on the market to keep doors closed - both our Winnebago & NS have them)
+ Compressor Fridge Isotherm (no propane)
+ Spice Pull Out Rack (wife would love this)
+ Dinette Layout (love it - table a bit small but great seating area with windows to look out on either side)
+ Lighting Systems (LED with phone controls & modern control panel - best I've seen for camper world)
+ Open Feel (they did an excellent job with cabinet design / light / open feeling)
+ Electric Wireless Jacks Standard (love ours - makes for easy install/removal)
+ Froli Sleep System (keep condensation low and comfy sleeping - cool deal - we might add to ours)
+ Flexible solar (like this for low weight and low profile)
+ Backup Camera (such a basic, brilliant idea to build in - we had to install our own since the tailgate is removed)

I'm sure there is more... but incredible original thought and innovation. Sooo needed in this industry!!! Thank you NuCamp!

Why it doesn't work for us:
- Tie Down System - While this is great for average users... it attaches to the 4ft wide "inner" section of the camper. Much less leverage stability for controlling camper rocking side/side off road. Exterior tie downs at the widest point give much more leverage.
- Too Wide (8ft 2in wide - our NS is 7ft wide) - Wide is nice when inside but not great off road.
- Tall (8ft 2in tall - our truck bed height is 39" - so camper would be 11ft 4in on our truck)
- Fantastic Fan (Maxxair fans are better)
- Small water tank (typical we changed ours out for 40 gallon tank - game changer for being off grid)
- No Interior Shower (we love ours... that would be hard to give up as we love to shower regularly in all weather and locations)
- Tiny Fridge (we like fresh food with enough capacity to avoid stores for a week plus)
- Not really purpose built for off road type use. Will it hold up?

Who is this built/targeted for? My guess would be people doing short trips (extended weekends) to fairly easily accessible locations. People who want to keep their existing truck and limit modifications. Easy to load/unload. Really a cool solution and exceptional design.

We did tons of modifications to our camper which Northstar was much easier to work with on that. Our next big project will be propane removal (maybe in the next year or so).

Crux

I've just started researching truck campers (currently in a land cruiser), and your reply was really helpful.

I'm thinking of going with a RAM 3500 gasser since it's slightly shorter for better break over when 4wheeling. Curious how you made your choice of a Ford?

Also, doesn't the fridge and heater in the Northstar run off propane? What would replace those with and why?

Thanks

greengreer

Adventurer
I've got the same configuration as montypower (ext cab/short box) and it's pretty short for a one ton truck. Wheelbase is 142". If I remember correctly the ram is longer by a few inches due to 4 actual doors, despite about 6" shorter of a bed. So obviously a bit apples to oranges, but we don't need a real back seat as it's usually just occupied by the dogs.
Honestly I never even really looked at dodge. If I had been after a diesel that would be different, but in the used market ford's are at least 10:1 with all the fleet vehicles out there.

montypower

Adventure Time!
I've just started researching truck campers (currently in a land cruiser), and your reply was really helpful.

I'm thinking of going with a RAM 3500 gasser since it's slightly shorter for better break over when 4wheeling. Curious how you made your choice of a Ford?

Also, doesn't the fridge and heater in the Northstar run off propane? What would replace those with and why?

I'm not really a "fan" of any of the big 3 brands. Although, I have come to appreciate and respect Ford. I've owned lots of Toyotas including 2 Tacomas, Hilux, 3+ 4runners and 2 Tundras. So build quality is important. I feel Toyota still has a slight edge on Ford for build quality (although small margin these days) and bigger margin on Dodge/Chevy.

Chevy motors are good. But their body/interior quality is poor. Terrible suspension (talk about 80s technology).

We seriously considered the Dodge. Even made offers on them (dodge dealers do bait/switch pricing). The 2018+ are vastly better in nearly every regard including fully boxed frames (same as the 2017+ Super Duty).

Things I liked about the Dodge:
Better turning radius
ZF 8 speed - For 2018+ Trucks
150" Wheelbase with Crew/Short - Our Extended/Short is 148" WB

Dodge Dislikes:
Axles - Especially front compared to the Dana60 High Pinion with manual hubs
6.4L Hemi - Complicated. Cylinder Deactivation. Special Oil.
Interior seating position
Short Bed 6'5" vs 6'9"
Dodge quality - history of wiring/electrical issues
4.10 Factory Gears - Ford 4.30 Factory (perfect match for 37s)
Spare Size limited to 35 - Ford can fit 37 in spare location

I really think the Ford is a superior truck (probably why most fleet trucks choose it). Love the options (if ordering). Solid value. Easiest truck I've ever built. Really like the Extended Cab/Short bed 148" WB. Extended cab slightly smaller than Dodge crew cab... however the Ford Crew Cab is massively larger than Dodge and adds 12" to WB (not worth it - sold our 2019 Crew Cab).

Ford gas motors are built more for simplicity and reliability without the complicated systems for economy. Fuel economy is a joke for HD trucks when hauling doesn't matter what brand/motor. Really like the aluminum body and bit of weight savings. Just a solid work truck. Check out some of our YT videos - XTcamper.com

Truck build info here: https://expeditionportal.com/forum/...0-on-37s-expedition-truck-camper-build.216282

NS fridge is Dometic compressor (cheap upgrade option). Propane for stove, h2o heater and furnace. Propane is a hassle to fill (especially in small towns in the winter). We'd go induction cook top and a diesel/gas heater system. Propane heating doesn't help dry the air well - reducing moisture in small campers is helpful.

Last edited:

montypower

Adventure Time!
I've got the same configuration as montypower (ext cab/short box) and it's pretty short for a one ton truck. Wheelbase is 142". If I remember correctly the ram is longer by a few inches due to 4 actual doors, despite about 6" shorter of a bed. So obviously a bit apples to oranges, but we don't need a real back seat as it's usually just occupied by the dogs.
Honestly I never even really looked at dodge. If I had been after a diesel that would be different, but in the used market ford's are at least 10:1 with all the fleet vehicles out there.

That's a nice configuration! The pre-2017 trucks have a bit smaller extended cab. That 142" WB is sweet. The 2017+ have a larger cab and stretched WB to 148". Although, I do think it makes the cab a viable option for more people (we store our MTB bikes back there).

Diesel is a crap shoot with complicated emissions. Plus the massive amount of weight gain. I'd only consider one if keeping under warranty and selling (any brand). But still wouldn't work for Mexico/Baja travel. Gas is the way to go unless towing 20k plus.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles