'21 Ford Ranger Lariat WHY NOT?

Victorian

Approved Vendor : Total Composites
Hey guys,

seriously considering ordering a '21 Ranger. It would replace our Outback as our family car and would also become our shop truck. Have been watching tons of reviews and it always comes out ahead of all the others in that size. Who has one and can give me the last push to place the order? :)

Cheers,

Todd n Natalie

OverCamper
That would be my choice if I were in the market for a midsize. I may wait until '22 if possible as there may be a new version coming out? But, that's just me.

2021-ranger-wheels-wide.jpg

85_Ranger4x4

I really wanted a new Ranger

The downsides to me (and thus what took it out of the running)

1. Crew cab is small for rear facing car seats. I am 6'-3" with a growing family, I need room... and they are kinda sketchy tight with a car seat in the back for me.

2. No 6' bed with a crew cab.

Maybe the '22 Ranger Plug in Hybrid would be ideal for city driving? I recall seeing somewhere 68 miles of range on battery only?

Welcome to 1998?

Just plug in but I think they would go about 60 miles on charge. The survivors have something of a cult following with people upgrading the batteries with newer tech batteries.

Todd n Natalie

OverCamper

1. Crew cab is small for rear facing car seats. I am 6'-3" with a growing family, I need room... and they are kinda sketchy tight with a car seat in the back for me.

Welcome to 1998?

Just plug in but I think they would go about 60 miles on charge. The survivors have something of a cult following with people upgrading the batteries with newer tech batteries.

Yeah, I'm coming to the other side soon where my kids won't want to ride with me, lol

Very neat about those 98's! I never heard of those Ranger EV's before.

Nice thing about the 22's is that being a hybrid, once battery power runs out, you still have the gas motor.

Victorian

Welcome to 1998?

Our kid is finally moving into a booster. Rear facing was a big issue when we went shopping last time. Hence our current Subaru Outback (amazing car!!)
To be honest, the only thing that is holding me back with the ranger is the 5' bed. I was hoping to mount one of our new 6.6' campers inside the tailgate... Guess it will hang out.
What I REALLY like about the ranger is the compact size and it's overall features. Basicly the same footprint as our Subaru. Our daily errants lead us to tight parking lots. Can't imagine driving an F150 size truck every day.

85_Ranger4x4

Our kid is finally moving into a booster. Rear facing was a big issue when we went shopping last time. Hence our current Subaru Outback (amazing car!!)
To be honest, the only thing that is holding me back with the ranger is the 5' bed. I was hoping to mount one of our new 6.6' campers inside the tailgate... Guess it will hang out.
What I REALLY like about the ranger is the compact size and it's overall features. Basicly the same footprint as our Subaru. Our daily errants lead us to tight parking lots. Can't imagine driving an F150 size truck every day.

There is the glitch I have with the 5' bed. In the manual Ford says not to haul slide in campers with them. On the bottom edges of my camper it has the CG marked, which with the water tank full is just ahead of the rear axle which is centered under a 7' bed. Right now it is on a pickup box trailer and empty it has about 20# of tongue weight so without water I think it is pretty eaven front to back. If you look at a 19+ truck you will see why, the rear axle is clear to the front the bed so all the weight of the camper will be well behind the axle... which at best can cause goofy handling, aside from that possibly causing a wreck at worst it could cause frame damage.

2.jpg

Page 15 in the 2019 manual:

Just eyeballing it I am going to guess the CG sticker on my camper would be about where where the S or P is on the "Sport" decal on the above truck.

I would like a four door truck of some kind I could haul my Skamper with... so a crew cab Ranger's goose is cooked.

A Supercab can do it per the manual (they seem to have different manuals)... but it is basically a two seater just like my '85 so I am not gaining a thing... actually losing because for now I can stick the rear facing car seat in the middle of the back seat in my Supercab F-150 and have a three seater.

Victorian

There is the glitch I have with the 5' bed. In the manual Ford says not to haul slide in campers with them. On the bottom edges of my camper it has the CG marked, which with the water tank full is just ahead of the rear axle which is centered under a 7' bed. Right now it is on a pickup box trailer and empty it has about 20# of tongue weight so without water I think it is pretty eaven front to back. If you look at a 19+ truck you will see why, the rear axle is clear to the front the bed so all the weight of the camper will be well behind the axle... which at best can cause goofy handling, aside from that possibly causing a wreck at worst it could cause frame damage.

2.jpg

Just eyeballing it I am going to guess the CG sticker on my camper would be about where where the S or P is on the "Sport" decal on the above truck.

I would like a four door truck of some kind I could haul my Skamper with... so a crew cab Ranger's goose is cooked.

A Supercab can do it per the manual (they seem to have different manuals)... but it is basically a two seater just like my '85 so I am not gaining a thing... actually losing because for now I can stick the rear facing car seat in the middle of the back seat in my Supercab F-150 and have a three seater.

Very very valid point! I believe that even the Tacomas have that note in the owners manual. Frame failures and changes in driving dynamics need to be taken serious. There are plenty of samples coming from Europe. An engineering friend of mine told me a while ago that pick ups are designed to haul stuff like plywood, sand etc for relatively short distances with a fairly low centre of gravity. Adding a camper with all the bells and whistles can create a lot of problems. I always recommend to our customers to use a cab chassis like the Ford F350 with straight frame rails. These are designed to carry boxes.
To be honest with you, our camper will be very minimalistic at maybe 700lb total weight and mostly used for (hopefully) upcoming 2020 trade shows. Our main travel machine is our transit.
frame failure.jpg

Todd n Natalie

OverCamper

2.jpg

Sounds like you need a 1 ton crew cab long box... lol Maybe though some extra laves and airbags in there too :LOL:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94