Kenda AT2 KR628

Kmrtnsn

Explorer
I looked at these for my trailer being built but ended up going with the new Federal Xplora R/Ts Instead. I like this tread pattern as a ”more aggressive A/TW3 or Duratrac”.

Last edited:

NatersXJ6

Explorer
I can’t speak for those specifically, but I got the RT recently for my Jeep in 33x10.5 R17E and have been extremely happy. About 3k miles so far and loving them. Coming from the factory JK Rubicon BFG MT, I have to say that the voids and channels only the Kenda RT seem similarly sized. I haven’t had them in any mud yet, that isn’t really a thing here unless you want to go trespass on a farm, but on pavement, gravel, snow they are awesome so far.

vwhammer

Adventurer
I would definitely give them a shot.
I have used Kenda Bicycle tires, Motorcycle tires and recently just bought some sticky street tires (Kenda Kaiser KR20A for anyone that cares) for a car that I regularly take to all the twisty roads in the southeastern US.
Not a single one of them has disappointed me and most of them I priced really nicely for someone on a budget.

I think it's funny that they don't pop up more when I do tire searches.
I accidentally came across the Kenda stickies I bought while looking at other tires. I had no idea they even existed.
Actually I had no idea that Kenda made an all terrain tire until this thread popped up.

I need to get some new tires for my 1st gen Tacoma so maybe I will give these a looky.

shenrie

^^^ hates cars
^^^ I care, so thanks for the plug! they offer that tire in a size I like for one of our cars and have been eyeing them. no need to buy soon since that car will likely be garaged first the winter soon, but the bridgestones are well past their wearbars and we will need new rubber once it warms back up. I might reach out to you in a few months and see how they are holding up if you don’t mind. How much does the car weigh that you have them on?

i’ve been watching prices on the r/t’s myself and reading as much as I can but all reviews I’ve stumbled across so far have been installed on jeeps. Being likely twice the weight with our fully loaded van I have hesitation, but am strongly considering as the price and looks of the tire check a lot of my boxes.

NatersXJ6

Explorer
^^^ I care, so thanks for the plug! they offer that tire in a size I like for one of our cars and have been eyeing them. no need to buy soon since that car will likely be garaged first the winter soon, but the bridgestones are well past their wearbars and we will need new rubber once it warms back up. I might reach out to you in a few months and see how they are holding up if you don’t mind. How much does the car weigh that you have them on?

i’ve been watching prices on the r/t’s myself and reading as much as I can but all reviews I’ve stumbled across so far have been installed on jeeps. Being likely twice the weight with our fully loaded van I have hesitation, but am strongly considering as the price and looks of the tire check a lot of my boxes.

so, yes I have them on a Jeep. No, I haven’t weighed the Jeep, and won’t, but it is heavy enough it won’t get out of its own way very well.

The thing to remember is that the tires I have are “E” range tires. I’m running about 34 psi. I would imagine that running in the 50 to 60 psi range will give you all the capacity you could want for a heavy van. Even my F250 when loaded fully only ran 65-70 psi on E range tires. I’m a fan because they are very quiet compared to the BFG I ran before, yet ride more smoothly (causing quiet?), and you can’t beat the price. I was less than $1400 for 7 tires delivered by Simple Tire, then about $25 each plus a bucket of chicken for mounting and balancing at a local Pep Boys.

shenrie

^^^ hates cars
my question wasn’t whether or not they would handle the capacity, just how fast they would wear. they seem to have the same load ratings as the ko2, 3195 aired up to 65lb. most of the tires I’ve been looking at have very similar ratings.

reading reviews a handful of owners said that the kendas were softer than the last tires they had. since there is no industry standard for tires regarding tread wear (or sizing for that matter), you really never know how fast or slow any tires will wear until you try them out.

walmart has the e rated 35’s on sale off and on for $178.00. at that price it’s worth the gamble for 5 of them. I have access to machines so install is just my time and maybe some of the wife’s oatmeal huckleberry cookies to the shop owner, lol.

numerous reviews also mention how quiet they are. I like that aspect, but with our loudass 7.3, it’s a factor that doesn’t mean much unfortunately. only real negatives I’ve seen repeatedly are that they can be hard to balance.

oh, and I was asking if you knew the weight of your car, not the jeep. the kaisers are a tire I’m considering for one of our cars as well.

vwhammer

Adventurer
I might reach out to you in a few months and see how they are holding up if you don’t mind. How much does the car weigh that you have them on?

I have the Kaisers on a mk4 Jetta.
It's been stripped down a little bit and might weigh 2800lbs or so.
I will say if you decide on them pay attention to the treadwear rating.
While its not a perfect indicator of a tires grip it will give you some idea of the tires compound and how sticky it might be.
Anyway some sizes have a 300 rating while others are available in 180.

300 is pretty good for a high performance summer tire but 180 should be stickier than any of the best maximum high performance summer street tires.
For example the Toyo R1R, which is their top of the line sticky street tire, has a 200 treadwear rating.

I got 235/45R17s for my car which has the 300 rating.
If I would have stepped down to a 235/40R17, It is available with the 180 rating.
I did not sort out that that was an option until I received my tires.

So I'm gonna use the poop out of these tires, which I can do in a summer, and get the stickier ones next time if these ones turn out to be ok.

As far as checking in later that's fine but, much like you I probably won't do too much twisty driving in the winter.
I have However, planned a trip down to the tail of the dragon and several other roads around that area at the end of December.
That will be my first real hard run with the Kendas along with a brand new suspension and brake set up.

Smileyshaun

Observer
I have the kenda klever in a 35x10.50 and have been extremely happy with them so far rather quiet , balanced easily and completely smooth even at 80 mph and seem to handle snow quite well so far.

shenrie

^^^ hates cars
did you end up with the 180 or 300 tw tire on your jetta?

I don’t really consider 300 tw a sticky tire, but we raced local autox and hillclimbs for years. for us, the 50-100 tw is ideal. true r comps put the cars we race in unrealistic classes. wish the kenda 180 tw tires had 15” sizes so we could really put them to use.

I need tires for a 3500lb car. was just curious how soft their 180 option was. same scenario though, they are priced so well it’s likely worth trying a set. if they last as long as the nitto nt05’s I’d be super happy.

oh, I misspoke before, not currently running bridgstones, they are the hankook rs3’s. they were a buddies takeoffs he just gave us to help out.

shenrie

^^^ hates cars
I have the kenda klever in a 35x10.50 and have been extremely happy with them so far rather quiet , balanced easily and completely smooth even at 80 mph and seem to handle snow quite well so far.

wish the 35x10.50 was available in an e rated version. I’d buy those without hesitation.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles