Starting from scratch: How to haul and camp w/ 4 dirt bikes and people?

zimm17

Observer
We're soon to be moving out West and buying toys to explore and camp. Everything from Moab to Glamis will be within range. Some trips will be with my Wrangler and camping gear, but my brother and I want to do the dirt bike thing along with camping and take my 2 sons along too. For my business I plan to get an F250 4x4 and now I'm looking for the ultimate way to carry stuff and go camping. He has a Tacoma with RTT so he's fine for sleeping. Maybe my wife will want to tag along, so I need to sleep 4.

My thoughts wander from a slide in camper and tow a cargo trailer for the bikes, or converting maybe a 7x14 cargo trailer and keep the big bikes inside and the kid's bikes in the bed. Or get a "toy hauler".

Goal for camping is to have a hard shell, climate controlled thing. I had a Casita and it was great for camping, but no way to bring the toys along too. I don't need an indoor kitchen, just A/C and heat and cots or bunks to sleep on. Maybe a toilet, maybe not- could always just get a portable WAG Bag holder.

Just looking for ideas on what direction to head.

I'm living in Europe at the moment so I have a couple years to sort this all out.

marret

Sounds like a converted cargo tailer would work. Just unload bikes for living/sleeping. Toyhauler would work, but you may pay for much you don’t want. One can use fold down beds and/or platforms that raise and lower. To add more capacity use a truck camper.

Here is my setup when I want more space. Also have a Kendon trailer for solo trips:
atgv1.JPG

SDDiver5

Expedition Leader
Are you looking to have more of a base camp type of thing or are you planning to carry the trailer through trails?

If you're looking for a base camp type thing Id say get the toy hauler. It's the easiest, can haul all of your gear and sleep all of your people, climate controlled, the wives tend to enjoy it and your F250 will handle it no problem. Storing it will be the only hard part- Depending on your situation. They can be had from 18 feet to 30+ feet and can be found in the used market for relatively cheap.

D

Deleted member 9101

I'd get a ~30' toy hauler. No sense in being cramped.

zimm17

Observer
Basecamp all the way. The only reason I was thinking baby cargo trailer/hauler is that if the Jeep can tow it too, I can take either truck. Moab with the Jeep? Got a camper. I found a 45 page thread on just this topic over on the ADVrider forum. They're more of the adventure bike crowd, so that makes sense they travel/camp and bring their dirt bikes along for the trip.

I think either a 7x14 cargo and buy it insulated, RV windows, and roof A/C (some companies do that as options), then I can outfit it myself down the road. Or a smaller toy hauler.

Herbie

Rendezvous Conspirator
If you want to have the option to tow with the jeep, I'd focus your search on tandem-axle trailers. They make them even in the shorter lengths (my uncle hauls his open-wheel race car and kit in one), but it is WAY simpler to balance the tongue load. Whether the Jeep has the beans to haul it fully loaded is a separate question, but you could be clever and use the truck to haul 4 bikes and maybe the jeep to haul 1-2.

zimm17

Observer
Good point. If it's the Jeep - I wouldn't have any bikes in the trailer- it would be "empty" but with camping/sleeping gear. That's why I think it could handle a 7x14 since it won't have but a few hundred pounds in it. I keep an ARB fridge and stuff in the Jeep the whole time so I can have lunch and/or dinner on the trail.

I'm thinking very simple- front counter and shelves for storage bins. Power system with a house battery or 2, solar and A/C on the roof. I have a Honda 2000 that can go along if we'll need the a/c off the grid. Food prep- I'll just utilize my existing camping gear, clam shelter, and tables. If I ever wanted to get fancy I could do a propane furnace, instant water heater, and some sort of outdoor shower.

With the f250, I could load it up with bikes, gear, etc.

danecorry

Build one of these:

The Trailer
IMG_5603.JPG

or I can sell you mine!

holds 5 bikes, 46 gallons of water, full kitchen, two showers, cooler/freezer, storage, two poptop tents, timbren suspension, solar basically everything built the rig for a BAJA expedition. Looking to post for sale in a Month.

Todd n Natalie

OverCamper
If you want to have the option to tow with the jeep, I'd focus your search on tandem-axle trailers. They make them even in the shorter lengths (my uncle hauls his open-wheel race car and kit in one), but it is WAY simpler to balance the tongue load. Whether the Jeep has the beans to haul it fully loaded is a separate question, but you could be clever and use the truck to haul 4 bikes and maybe the jeep to haul 1-2.
Another plus with tandem axle trailers is they are way easier to back up. I find our tandem axle 23' hard wall camper easier to back up then our old single axle tent trailer was.

BogusShorttermGrayling-max-1mb.gif

zgfiredude

Max trailer behind the Jeep is 3500 lbs. Just keep that in mind. Mods to the Jeep will change it's ability to tow.....and don't kid yourself that you won't take the Jeep AND BIKES to Moab, LOL!

marret

That's sweet. What trailer make? I like the frame is aluminum. Trailers always rust.

It is an ATG custom made out of Ocala FL. site: ATG Trailers

6x12, less than 1000 pounds. Bought it wired with 30 amp, insulated walls, 2 windows, RV latch, lifted, window A/C port, 30” tires with 16” wheels, 6” extra height, roof rack, narrowed track to match the van, etc. Comes with aluminum floor and as mentioned aluminum frame. I installed vinyl plank flooring, built a front cabinet with extruded aluminum, installed floor l-track and vertical wall e-track for a bed lift. It will be a bedroom for longer trips with my wife and as mentioned, toy hauler and cargo trailer for other times.

zimm17

Observer
Thanks for that link to Intech. I've been reading all about them. The smaller Explore model might be the ticket. It can load 2 bikes inside. I can put 2 bikes in the truck. With one tip out- I can sleep on that, and if the boys go, they can air mattress on the floor. It would have heat and AC. Big plus is the Jeep can easily tow it so I could delay on the truck purchase and still be out having fun. My Jeep carries the ARB fridge and cooking gear, so I wouldn't even need the outdoor kitchen option on the trailer. I like having my food, beverages and ability to cook while out on the trail, not stuck back at basecamp.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles