Ram 5500 super single options

Lance990

Observer
Thanks for the link. Really good thread that also linked to many others. I must really suck as using the search function on here. :ROFLMAO:

I know the struggle over duals. I have a DRW truck and I regularly consider switching to SRW but I always come back to listening to the overland experts who say just keep them. The rare time you get a rock stuck between them (never has happened to me) makes it worthwhile to have the extra weight carrying capacity. My situation is that I don't really need a DRW truck to do what I want to do but the truck is so awesome that I want to keep it. I have set up the bed of my truck for camping, including a classic aluminum bed topper and a secondary battery with solar. My truck will go anywhere it will fit and that is enough for me.

Frostbit907

I second keeping the duals

I have a 2020 5500 with the super single conversion and the MPT81

Finally just did my first real road trip (1500 miles) with them. The droning and noise was a bit more tiring and annoying than i expected.

I will use them until they wear out, which might take awhile, but when the MPTs are worn out, i will be looking at other options and likely not running them again.

I'm still not convinced keeping it a dually and just running all terrains inst a better option all around honestly. So my stock wheels are sitting in my backyard and will until i figure out exactly what i am doing

Also, regarding SHERPTEK... They make a great product and are great folks, but they have a major design flaw in my opinion. The backside of their setup is left open. Meaning, whatever you out in those nice drawers from the outside will be subjected to the elements. I brought this up to them when looking at options for my last truck, and they said that is how they want it, and didnt seem interested in making it a sealed unit. Which i found odd. But they were great folks regardless

I get what you are saying about Sherptek. I just spoke with Ryan & Rebecca again last week. Joyce, my wife, had concerns concerning the "open" flank side design of Sherptek vs. fully enclosed sealed side boxes. The flank side design has weather sealed front and back ends that meet and seal the storage area created by the flank side. By using the camper wing as the "roof and back" of the storage area and the flatbed as the base you have a weather tight larger storage area but more importantly you have full access to the sides of the camper and tie down area. Loading and unloading the camper is simplified.

I see advantages and disadvantages to both enclosed box system and the Sherptek custom set-up. We feel the Sherptek method fits our needs better and we plan on this being our last truck build so we are comfortable with the dedicated customization this design dictates.

Thanks again for all your help and advice and in a way being our test mule with the 5500. (y)

peculierboy

@Frostbit907 I think you will be fine with the Sherptek bed system. The pic below is from this past weekend, after 4 hours of HARD rain including some highway driving. The passenger side was completely dry. I didn't route our charging cables (0/2 in size) or our camper pigtail really well, and it accused a gap in the weather seal. We usually put dirty items (kayak stuff, wood, hiking stuff, etc,) in the flanks, or we put things in plastic bins as needed. We love ours, and working with Ryan and Rebecca was the best experience we have ever had with such a big purchase. Very happy with them and the bed build. I wouldn't seal it either, as easy as the flanks are to get off, we can then use the truck for other things, like hauling large items for the yard or garage.

Like you said, every body's needs are different. If we lived out west and had better access to more BLM land, ours would be different for sure.

BTW, that video is our truck! If you have any questions, feel free to PM me.

Steve

Sherptek bed sm.jpg

Last edited:

Frostbit907

@Frostbit907 I think you will be fine with the Sherptek bed system. The pic below is from this past weekend, after 4 hours of HARD rain including some highway driving. The passenger side was completely dry. I didn't route our charging cables (2/0 in size) or our camper pigtail really well, and it accused a gap in the weather seal. We usually put dirty items (kayak stuff, wood, hiking stuff, etc,) in the flanks, or we put things in plastic bins as needed. We love ours, and working with Ryan and Rebecca was the best experience we have ever had with such a big purchase. Very happy with them and the bed build. I wouldn't seal it either, as easy as the flanks are to get off, we can then use the truck for other things, like hauling large items for the yard or garage.

Like you said, every body's needs are different. If we lived out west and had better access to more BLM land, ours would be different for sure.

BTW, that video is our truck! If you have any questions, feel free to PM me.

Steve

Steve,

PM inbound

Jim

View attachment 628577

Big Rudy

Can the pros here fill me in on Why there is very little demand for the single 19.5's? I have no experience with them, but with 285's you can get over 6300lbs, unless I'm missing something. There doesn't appear to be many tread choices, and I see the load rating is at 125psi. I imagine a 5500 would have about that rating on the rear axle? Oh and you can only get 35"s. Those 20"ers look BIG!

NomadNorman

I second keeping the duals

I have a 2020 5500 with the super single conversion and the MPT81

Finally just did my first real road trip (1500 miles) with them. The droning and noise was a bit more tiring and annoying than i expected.

I will use them until they wear out, which might take awhile, but when the MPTs are worn out, i will be looking at other options and likely not running them again.

I'm still not convinced keeping it a dually and just running all terrains inst a better option all around honestly. So my stock wheels are sitting in my backyard and will until i figure out exactly what i am doing

Also, regarding SHERPTEK... They make a great product and are great folks, but they have a major design flaw in my opinion. The backside of their setup is left open. Meaning, whatever you out in those nice drawers from the outside will be subjected to the elements. I brought this up to them when looking at options for my last truck, and they said that is how they want it, and didnt seem interested in making it a sealed unit. Which i found odd. But they were great folks regardless

What 19.5 AT tires would you recommend for the Ram 5500? I am still debating SS conversion but may save the $10k cost and just get 19.5 ATs instead. However the only ones I can find are the Firestone Transforce AT2. FWIW I will be towing a 10k# trailer rather than truck camper.

Last edited:

RAM5500 CAMPERTHING

OG Portal Member #183
Since its been 2 years since this thread started, BOWEN bed systems has come out and looks considerable better than the Sherptek Offering for many many reasons.

Definitely check them out as well!

There is also a new 19.5 super single option:

I know nothing about the new single option, but its out there.

Also, Buckstop now makes an aluminum version of their same 20" Super Single Wheel

Now that i've driven my truck more and have more miles, i can say with full confidence, i absolutely HATE the MPTs and will 100% be looking at other options eventually!

So far in my limited research, i will likely be going back to dually

Last edited:

StenchRV

GREAT…..We looked far and wide for a 37” tire that would be a super single. Did not feel we really needed the 41”’s. None could take the 17,500 LBS we will eventually be.
Now one can….and about 36” tire!

We only have 1200 miles on our MPT 81’s and not crazy bad, a little noisy but we expected that. Long term….who knows.

Love the way the rig handles but would give SERIOUS THOUGHT to the 19.5 Super Single.

Another link I found.

CHEERS!!

zb39

Adventurer
I have 20K miles on my 21 Ram 5500 now. I kept the duals. I have a mix of highway, dirt and gravel roads, snow and just plain mud. I'm happy with them. I did order the upgraded more aggressive tread 19.5's. Not every tire is best in every condition, but these work for me. I also like not having to even think about weight. I ALWAYS travel with 75 gallons of water. I have only stayed in a campground with this rig twice. Once for 1 night and once for 5 nights when I was using the rig for work. 60 plus nights so far, it works for me. Prob not for everyone.IMG_5905 3.jpg

DirtWhiskey

Western Dirt Rat
I have MPT81s and they are noisy for sure. They also wear fast, especially when they get hot. Not the best tire on road but I've been really happy off road. I can air them down to 20 psi and it makes life much more enjoyable. My main concern with duals isn't the wierd rumors about rocks getting stuck etc, but just how darn hard they are. How low of PSI can you go with duals? Honest question.

RAM5500 CAMPERTHING

OG Portal Member #183
My main concern with duals isn't the wierd rumors about rocks getting stuck etc,

Good. Because that is one of the most ridiculously over regurgitated pieces of #fakenews on this forum!

But just how darn hard they are. How low of PSI can you go with duals? Honest question.

I have also wondered this, and which duals you have are the huge factor, air down too much and they risk touching and rubbing and creating heat against each other.

Randy, from Randys Transmission airs down his duallys in Moab all the time on his 3500 and hes been doing that stuff foreverrrr

DirtWhiskey

Western Dirt Rat
Good. Because that is one of the most ridiculously over regurgitated pieces of #fakenews on this forum!

I have also wondered this, and which duals you have are the huge factor, air down too much and they risk touching and rubbing and creating heat against each other.

Randy, from Randys Transmission airs down his duallys in Moab all the time on his 3500 and hes been doing that stuff foreverrrr

Same thing for Bob the extraction wrecker truck dude from Moab. I've seen him twice turning youtube #vanlife sprinter folks from horizontal to vertical in So Utah with his hammered Chev 3500 square body dually. Amazing where that thing goes. I'm also assuming the thousands of oil field trucks in the west are pretty much proof in the pudding.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior