Best Bronco for overlanding

jaywo

Looking for the overlanding community point of view on this. I have a reservation for a Bronco (from day one) and I’ll have to convert the order soon. I am hesitating between going for the Big Bend (think of it as the Wrangler Sport S) and replace the 32 tires with 33s with the rear locker option, OR getting the Sasquatch package that adds 35s, front and rear lock and upgraded Bilstein suspension.

It will be a daily driver + overlanding (mostly Utah, Colorado) on weekends and vacation.

What do you think?

DRAX

I think if you’re planning on it being a daily and driving it, not trailering it, to far-away locations I would avoid the Sasquatch package and stick with a more streetable setup. Just my $0.02.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

jaywo

I think if you’re planning on it being a daily and driving it, not trailering it, to far-away locations I would avoid the Sasquatch package and stick with a more streetable setup. Just my $0.02.

Yes I plan to daily drive it and drive to far away locations. I want at least 33s AT tires because if I keep the 32s I don’t see much reason to get the Bronco with a ground clearance inferior to a Subaru. So do you think there is a significant difference for street driving between 33 and 35 and if yes which ones?

We just had this chat a while back and put some different perspectives into a blog post: https://www.overlandexpo.com/whats-new/2020/7/20/2021-ford-bronco-how-we-build-it

Thanks for the link, I have read everything. Good read, but some people on your article make the point for going with 32s/33s and some others make the opposite argument. After reading it I am left with the same question pretty much.

My main reason to go for Sasquatch is getting the Bilstein suspension and higher ground clearance, all from the factory. I am not a fan of modifying my vehicle. My main grip with going for Sasquatch is the daily drivability.

DRAX

Yes I plan to daily drive it and drive to far away locations. I want at least 33s AT tires because if I keep the 32s I don’t see much reason to get the Bronco with a ground clearance inferior to a Subaru. So do you think there is a significant difference for street driving between 33 and 35 and if yes which ones?

If you don't think the Bronco offers anything over a Subaru if the base ground clearance is similar then I think you need to do more research and get some more experience under your belt. They are wildly different vehicles with very different capabilities, base ground clearance is just one spec and doesn't say anything about the capabilities of the vehicle itself.

35s are going to be louder, heavier (more unsprung weight is going to affect ride and handling), have a large impact on fuel economy, won't be as stable in corners or when there are high crosswinds. The Sasquatch is a great package if you're going to wheel locally and daily drive it, but road trips are likely to be annoying.

It is a hard decision, though, because it comes with more than just 35" tires. If there were a Sasquatch Jr package that offered 33s instead then I think that would be a great all-around option. Of course, you could just downgrade to 33s if you decide you don't like how the 35s perform on the street/highway.

Ultimately up to you, I've just been around long enough and seen enough people buy rigs that are much more capable than than the driver's skill level and that has gotten them into a lot of trouble. I find it's more beneficial for inexperienced drivers to start out with a vehicle closer to their skill level so they can understand both the limits of themselves as well as their vehicle and then they can grow together, making mods that are necessary based on the limit that has been reached. I wouldn't put a teenager in a Ferrari and I wouldn't put someone new to off-roading in one of the top-spec factory off-road vehicles and send them on their way, either. Not saying that's you, just saying that's kind of how you came across. I know it's hard to resist buying the most capable vehicle you can right off the bat so you can be "prepared for anything" but being prepared is actually more about driver skill than the vehicle itself.

Good luck with whatever you choose!

1leglance

2007 Expedition Trophy Champion, Overland Certifie
If you are Overlanding then DON'T get the Saquatch.....you loose the sway bar disconnect and that make a huge difference in comfort, articulation (especially when staying with mpg friendly 33's) and overall cost.

I am looking at the Badlands as it checks all the boxes unless you are trying to stay cheap...
But the sway bar disconnect will make a big difference on and off road

D

Deleted member 9101

Get the 35s. Plenty of guys in F150s run 35s and the 2.7 has zero problems turning them with 3.55 gears.

jaywo

It is a hard decision, though, because it comes with more than just 35" tires. If there were a Sasquatch Jr package that offered 33s instead then I think that would be a great all-around option. Of course, you could just downgrade to 33s if you decide you don't like how the 35s perform on the street/highway.

That Sasquatch junior exists, it’s called the Badland trim. Comes with front/rear lock, 33s, and the upgraded Bilstein suspensions. The issue is it’s $3.5K more than a Big Bend with Sasquatch with my options, and it comes with front/rear steel bumpers and there is a GVWR issue on the Bronco.

My best option is probably going Big Bend with stock 32 tires, swap for 33s and then upgrade suspensions later. I just loved the idea of having a no hassle under warranty package from the factory.

Getting the Sasquatch and downgrade to 33s is maybe not a good idea since Sasquatch comes with 4.7 final gear ratio.

If you are Overlanding then DON'T get the Saquatch.....you loose the sway bar disconnect and that make a huge difference in comfort, articulation (especially when staying with mpg friendly 33's) and overall cost.

I am looking at the Badlands as it checks all the boxes unless you are trying to stay cheap...
But the sway bar disconnect will make a big difference on and off road

Not sure why the sway bar disconnect makes a difference ON road?

Also, interestingly enough, pretty much half of the people on this thread said definitely go Squatch and the other half said definitely don’t.

Reserved the Black Diamond. A few creature comforts. No 'squatch package. # piece top, v6, will be a daily driver with some off road capability will have 32's can swap to 33's at some point. It'll be a camping vehicle in the federal lands around me as well as a "get to the fishing spot" vehicle. I have a '14 f150 for the heavier loads and needs. So the bronco will default to the wife which makes her instantly Hotter. Some day may see a RTT or an intech RV trailer.

I live in the Detroit area and drive for most of my work day. So I get to see the pre-manufactured camo cars sometimes. I drove by an M plate bronco Black Diamond edition with soft top looked Killer. Cool to see in person. I took a few bad pics of it with crashing my work vehicle. Slightly bigger than a wrangler.

the thing that'll get me to cancel my reservation is no X-plan pricing and now I am hearing $3-5k dealer premiums like they do with the Raptors. I dont mind buying one but Im not overpaying just for the "privilege" of owning one.

Todd n Natalie

OverCamper
the thing that'll get me to cancel my reservation is no X-plan pricing and now I am hearing $3-5k dealer premiums like they do with the Raptors. I dont mind buying one but Im not overpaying just for the "privilege" of owning one.
I get that. I have the same thought process.

It's just metal and plastic. They'll build more. It's like when the T-Birds came out in '02 or whatever. 10-15K over msrp. A year later, we couldn't give 'em away. (I worked at a Ford dealer back then)

Or now, I see people buying Playstation 5's and turning around and selling them for over a thousand dollars. For a game console!!! I you wait 6 months, that same game console will be $400....

Just nuts this gotta have it now mentality

.unnamed.jpg

I agree. I was patient with the gladiator and considered trading my f150 in on one. But now its paid off I have a hard time thinking I NEED to replace it with another payment...

Grassland

The sasquatch package gives a far steeper transfer case reduction and steeper final gear doesn't it?

To me that's where the big $ is.
You can always sell the 35s and get some milder, narrower ATs in a 33-34 for a bit better fuel economy and road manners.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles