MB Vario 814D quick release steering wheel adapter and boss

PsyVario

Hello all,

Has anybody successfully adapted the steering wheel arrangement on a VARIO 814D (2001) from standard to a quick release system. It would seem that the 72 spline fitting (23.25mm Dia) with an 18" (450mm) steering wheel is quite difficult to upgrade with ease, or perhaps I have been looking in the wrong places.

If anybody has made this transition I will be eternally grateful for any assistance and advice.

My van is an EX Baileys Coachworks Library van converted to a full time liver and the current steering wheel position makes it difficult to comfortably rotate and use the drivers seat when parked up.

With thanks.

IMG_1424.jpegIMG_1398.jpegIMG_1432.jpeg

javajoe79

Fabricator
If you can't find the right part, you could probably dissect a stock wheel for the hub and fabricate a plate on to it that would accept a common quick release.

PsyVario

It is certainly looking very much the only way to go.. So has anybody got a stock steering wheel for sale?

C p weinberger

Something like this work?
Stock car/ race car
Jegs
Quick Release Steering Hubs
GM Splined Quick Release Steering Hub Meets SFI 42.1 specs
Part Number: 555-60724

PsyVario

Thank you CPW,

This "Jegs' weld on type system will certainly be an ideal solution. I have contacted them, providing the Vario spline diameter 23.25mm and spline number 72 to see if they stock an immediate solution or whether a custom solution can be provided. There is some minor confusion over the material for the weld on component stating aluminium in a Q&A but I am sure it must be steel. I'll post back updates for future reference.

Update: 24/11/2020 - Jegs do not have a stock item and are unable to assist in a producing a custom solution.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior