4x4 Short Bus structural mod question (details)

Manchild12

Greetings all. Looking for structural feedback on my planned mod to be done over the next month.

Vehicle: 99 Ford E350 cutaway (4 window short bus, Girardin), 7.3 PSD, single rear wheel
Intent: provide easy loading for an R1250GSA and a KTM 450 EXCF Timbersled, into an enclosed area, without a trailer, that is mildly capable off road with 4x4 for pow days at the resort and occasional sand in the desert.
Issues: the current rear emergency exit door is not tall enough for either bike. I'd originally planned on using a stow away ramp and having a shop extend the height of the door. However a stow away ramp wont work with the configuration of the fuel tank. Current plan is mod the entire rear wall of the bus and replace with a roughly 64x64" trailer ramp door, complete with spring assisted closer (thing garage door).
Budget: $2k for ramp door and fab work
Feedback sought:
1-
Will a properly sealed/secured ramp door suffice the torsional strains of the bus frame? As I understand it, bus frames are pretty stout, significantly stronger than camper/rv frames to protect occupants. The plan is to source a trailer with a wrecked front end, and remove the entire ramp door and frame as one piece, then attach it to the opening cut into the back of the bus. Like unto installed a "pre-hung" door in a house, rather than trying to fab the bus to the door, we'll fab the bus to the door frame. In my uneducated thoughts this would seem to be the best approach to keep things stiff and square.
2- Is there a simple method to enable a "porch/drawbridge" setting with a traditional garage door style spring and cable closer assist? I've read many posts about using an electric winch, jack stands, etc. The goal here is to keep this as simple and unencumbered as possible. I do not want huge jackstands (deck height is almost 3') floating around. I've considered just using cam buckles to eye-bolts on both sides, running along side the cable for the spring assist. This seems to be the most effect and easy to deploy. Just curious if there are better options available.
3- Are there other considerations I am missing or should be considering? The goal with the build is to have a multi purpose vehicle that serves two purposes; 1)be a mobile showroom for my business that turns heads and elicits joy to overland enthusiasts and laymen alike, 2) be able to go on short desert missions with my wife and kids for 2 or 3 nights at a time providing nothing more than a wind shelter for sleeping and space to haul the sundries of camping with kids.
4- Does anyone have any fabricator recommendations for the Southern Idaho/Norther Utah area? While comfortable welding/fabricating myself with a shop and equipment, I'm curious what it would be to drop off materials and have it done locally. Being a bit crunched for time and with a new baby at home I may consider ponying up to have the mod done outside.

Please and thank you.

Last edited:

buellconvert

I am not familiar with the short bus variety, but I have been involved with converting full-size buses to flatbed sweet potato haulers here in North Carolina and if the short buses are anywhere near the regular size, the frame will be plenty rigid enough for what you're planning. That's really all the advice I can give on that, but I can tell you that you'd be absolutely amazed at the capability of a bus and the places I have taken them! I've had them in fields and 2 tracks that a bus had no business ever going and they surprised me everytime with their ability to not get stuck. Good luck with your project and keep us posted!

Sent from my moto e6 using Tapatalk

javajoe79

Fabricator
Wouldn't you be modifying the body and not the frame? I'm not sure using an existing trailer door will save any money especially if someone else does it. It might just provide hurdles to make it work where a from scratch approach would fit the body as needed. I would consider a winch for opening and closing. Fab stiff legs on the end of the door to prop it up at the height you need. No need for them to fold as they will be up and out of the way when closed but folding versions should be easy. Just use some square tube and quick pins. Maybe consider making them adjustable in length in case of uneven ground. An additional ramp that folds over on to the main ramp would probably be needed to avoid excessive angle when loading bikes.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles