Ford Transit Connect, where to get swingout rear bumper?

bigal323

Hello everyone. I don't post much, but I am looking for advice. I have a 2015 Transit Connect LWB. it currently sits on bigger KO2 tires and an all around 2" lift. this gives me nearly 3" lift in total. I took this van on many trips. The one thing I have been debating and researching for a few years in a swing out rear bumper with the tire carrier and possible a second swingout on the passenger side with a box. I have looked and looked, and can't find anything. It had the towing package. and it looks like the hitch actually replaced the rear bumper. so I've debated of trying aluminum brazing and make a new bumper cover with hinges for the swing outs. I haven't welded since high school, but I think I can handle brazing. Could anyone point me in the right direction? I do lots of highway but since the tires, I have been down some intense trails. since the lift I have been down trails that some pickups would go. now because the Canadian border is closed I can see myself going to the east coast sometime or out west. I usually go to Northern Ontario on hunting trips with this van.

Is there anyone else on here with a Transit connect 2014+?

EDIT: I forgot to add mods so far, not including all my gear.
Dual battery setup behind the passenger seat with a battery isolator
12V chest fridge/freezer
HF and CB radios (in the process of getting my license)
2" suspension lift from Russia
BF Goodrich KO2 tires (215/65/r16)
commercial roof rack (looking into changing it)
Yakima rocket box

Thank you!

Picture tax:

before the lift and tires:

Last edited:
That may be a custom build item. I think it’s in the realm of DIY, but you’re going to want to actually weld it together. I wouldn’t trust aluminum brazing on something that could fall off as you’re driving down the highway.

MarcusBrody

I'm in a 2014 Transit Connect Wagon. I didn't have the factory tow package, so I added on a 2 in receiver that bolts onto the frame. For a swingout, I use a Yakima Backswing, which is meant to carry a bike rack (which is what I carry on it), but you could also add anything that attaches to a 2 in receiver. The maximum weight on mine is 250, which is plenty for an extra wheel/tire (at least for the TC) and a few extras. The tongue weight limit of the TC is only 200lbs, though, so I'd watch that. I've never been sure if it's because of 1. Affects on handling dynamics 2. The way the factory receiver is attached. 3. It's rated to tow 2000lbs, so they just made the tongue wait 1/10 of that, even though more wouldn't be a problem if you didn't have a trailer.

So while it isn't a swinging bumper, Thule/Yakima made some good options for swingouts that you could add to and possibly get what you want. I've tested the Yakima over a few thousand miles with a lot of dirt roads and it worked well.

GlennA

Adventurer
I'm in a 2014 Transit Connect Wagon. I didn't have the factory tow package, so I added on a 2 in receiver that bolts onto the frame. For a swingout, I use a Yakima Backswing, which is meant to carry a bike rack (which is what I carry on it), but you could also add anything that attaches to a 2 in receiver. The maximum weight on mine is 250, which is plenty for an extra wheel/tire (at least for the TC) and a few extras. The tongue weight limit of the TC is only 200lbs, though, so I'd watch that. I've never been sure if it's because of 1. Affects on handling dynamics 2. The way the factory receiver is attached. 3. It's rated to tow 2000lbs, so they just made the tongue wait 1/10 of that, even though more wouldn't be a problem if you didn't have a trailer.

So while it isn't a swinging bumper, Thule/Yakima made some good options for swingouts that you could add to and possibly get what you want. I've tested the Yakima over a few thousand miles with a lot of dirt roads and it worked well.

Along that same train of thought, I use a Kuat swing away for my bike rack behind my van or motorhome. Rated at 300lbs. Not cheap, not light but rugged.

Herbie

Rendezvous Conspirator
One solution that I've seen used on a number of vans is to adapt the mechanism from the "GoWesty Bumper Mount Swing-Away": https://www.gowesty.com/product/made-in-usa/23513/bumper-mounted-swing-away-system?v=

With this, if your OEM bumper is stout enough, you could mount the hinge and latching plate on your stock bumper. I've seen it done on at least two non-VW vans (both Astros).

You'd have to evaluate if you're comfortable drilling the stock bumper, and whether to notch out the plastic bumper cover or just drill through and mount the hinge right on top of the plastic, etc.

After that, there might be a little more customization to get the tire mount to work the way you want (correct bolt pattern, correct height from the bumper, etc.), but it might be a shortcut to get to where you want to be.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rinzlerz