2020 Ram 5500 DIY Composite Panel Camper Build Thread

java

Expedition Leader
False, this is on the passenger side where my feet go, for that reason. Ha!

Not sure I’m going to install the second one on the drivers side. Might just keep a solid wall, for that reason
Ah! Damn you.

I run my maxxfan blowing out all the time to address the Venting that @IdaSHO mentioned. Always fan running

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

RAM5500 CAMPERTHING

OG Portal Member #183
Your going to want the airflow, light, and visibility.

DO IT ;)

Ha.. im a sensitive skin ginger and definitely don’t want the light. Airflow yes. Light no.

MaxxAir vent at very back of the drivers side of camper.

window at front passenger side and fan at rear drives side makes for great flow

Last edited:
Wow it is looking great.
You can always add a window on the head side later if you decide you need more airflow for summer.... kinda hard to go the other way.

Although I guess you could put the window in and then insulate over it for winter. I am loving your build and it is motivating me to accelerate my timeline to building my expedition camper.

RAM5500 CAMPERTHING

OG Portal Member #183
Wow it is looking great.
You can always add a window on the head side later if you decide you need more airflow for summer.... kinda hard to go the other way.

Although I guess you could put the window in and then insulate over it for winter. I am loving your build and it is motivating me to accelerate my timeline to building my expedition camper.

Thanks. Yeah, I’m gonna hold off for now and see. I have the second one here.

The other issue is, I only have 34” from floor of bed to roof.

With a 6” mattress, even their shortest window (moreso the blind assembly would be really close to my head). Not ideal

will see

RAM5500 CAMPERTHING

OG Portal Member #183
This is my dream build, except crew cab and pass through. I’m inspired...

Great work!

Thank you...

Yeah, I looked hard at all options.

Would be basically Impossible to keep it under 24ft long with a crew cab and I don’t have any interest at all in a pass through, but for each is own of course.

Alloy

Latest video:

Some question for my OCD.

- Is a longer cure time adhesives available?

- Was the foam sealed at the top to prevent water entering if something leaks?

- Can the corners be removed with out destroying them to access the wiring?

- Did you test the deflection of the angle bracket supporting the over hang - - wondering if the overhang could be extended or a storage box be hung on the front?

- Did you try different TPI (teeth / inch) on the jig saw blades to see if one blade separated the panels less than others?

Great work on the caulking!

Have thought about PEO cameras on outside?

If you're out in the cold then cover/insulate the heater fuel lines. A long long time ago....I put fuel treatment in the tank but the line to the stove/heater still gelled. I was never sure if it was the wind chill or there was untreated in fuel line that gelled. That day I learned how quickly one can get frostbite.

RAM5500 CAMPERTHING

OG Portal Member #183
Some question for my OCD.

- Is a longer cure time adhesives available?

Yes, I am sure there are, but i didnt know enough about adhesive properties to experiment in the middle of assembly. I went with what TC suggested, but that definitely doesn't mean there isnt other options. @Victorian can better answer this. For non load bearing non structural areas, i used the 3M 4000UV and its much easier to work with, and had a much slower cure time.

- Was the foam sealed at the top to prevent water entering if something leaks?

Not sure exactly what you mean, but i sealed the absolute hell out of this, and if anything leaks, something is REALLY wrong! :)

- Can the corners be removed with out destroying them to access the wiring?

No, which is why i changed my mind and ran the wiring inside the camper versus through all the extrusions.

- Did you test the deflection of the angle bracket supporting the over hang - - wondering if the overhang could be extended or a storage box be hung on the front?

No, i see no reason to. Between the extrusions holding it together, all the adhesive, and the braces, i am very confident with it.

- Did you try different TPI (teeth / inch) on the jig saw blades to see if one blade separated the panels less than others?

A few. Its kinda hard to do trial and error on something i spent $$$$ on. The multitool worked perfectly for basically everything so i just used that and it was great. Jigsaw not recommended.

Great work on the caulking!

Thanks

Have thought about PEO cameras on outside?

No, i will not be installing any cameras.

If you're out in the cold then cover/insulate the heater fuel lines. A long long time ago....I put fuel treatment in the tank but the line to the stove/heater still gelled. I was never sure if it was the wind chill or there was untreated in fuel line that gelled. That day I learned how quickly one can get frostbite.

Yes, that is definitely coming. I always do things 2-3x. I generally dont go balls in with an install without some decent testing. All lines will be insulated, and the exhaust will be wrapped as well.

Last edited:

Victorian

Approved Vendor : Total Composites
Yes, I am sure there are, but i didnt know enough about adhesive properties to experiment in the middle of assembly. I went with what TC suggested, but that definitely doesn't mean there isnt other options. @Victorian can better answer this. For non load bearing non structural areas, i used the 3M 4000UV and its much easier to work with, and had a much slower cure time.
A while ago we had another adhesive that gave a longer open time. But it turned out that the current Koemmerling 225 is WAY easier to work with. This glue was specifically designed for this application. General rule of thumb: the warmer and more humid it is, the faster the adhesive will cure. IMPORTANT NOTE: We do not recommend any other adhesive. All warranty will be voided if you do so.

Not sure exactly what you mean, but i sealed the absolute hell out of this, and if anything leaks, something is REALLY wrong! :)
I sealed ours twice... Had a water leak somewhere on the roof. Visually it was not detectable. After applying an even bigger beat of sealant it stopped. I'm still puzzled by that...

No, which is why i changed my mind and ran the wiring inside the camper versus through all the extrusions.
We have replacement end caps in stock if needed.

No, i see no reason to. Between the extrusions holding it together, all the adhesive, and the braces, i am very confident with it.

A few. Its kinda hard to do trial and error on something i spent $$$$ on. The multitool worked perfectly for basically everything so i just used that and it was great. Jigsaw not recommended.
Multitool works just fine. We have diamond plated ones coming from Germany. That way you only need to buy one blade and not 10... As for the jigsaw: It's important to use a jigsaw with good blade guiding. Bosch and festool are our favourite. It is indeed important to select a long enough blade, otherwise the FRP skin on the "underside" will get hammered and therefore separated from the foam.

Thanks

No, i will not be installing any cameras.

Yes, that is definitely coming. I always do things 2-3x. I generally dont go balls in with an install without some decent testing. All lines will be insulated, and the exhaust will be wrapped as well.

Attachments

• IMG-5250.jpg
    IMG-5250.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 98

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles