Northern Tool 4ft Overland Trailer Build

Roam.Wild

The damn thing was too tall. But at least 15-17 inches. After I hooked it to the back of the jeep and 4runner I realized my mistake, so time to cut!
I did not take any pics of this part because I just wanted to be done! The next dat=y I lowered the whole thing by 15 inches. So much better now. It now stands at 6 ft 2 inches from the ground to the top of the awning mounts. Reprimered and painted and shes ready for lumber!

I have all the parts (handles, drawer slides, hinges, etc) and I got the measurements to pick up the wood tomorrow, should be starting that this week!

oqaRm9t.jpg

Tr5b4KJ.jpg

vMBwah3.jpg

PLoKRot.jpg

yFmKUrp.jpg

YMtVbPt.jpg

dPBJWgs.jpg

9bFlJA0.jpg

as of 10/3/20:
$ spent: $494
Time spent: 15.5 hours

Roam.Wild

Got all the wood I needed (dang that ******** is expensive!) and started cutting!

Framed up

ujrychi.jpeg

EKrqSwl.jpeg

Checked fitment

OaFxaqM.jpeg

yh1l0yu.jpeg

eeL5BqK.jpeg

Putting on the top

bMKhUZN.jpeg

IM5ng2E.jpeg

YhSbbdh.jpeg
1xQb6fJ.jpeg

Z7Tl4Pw.jpeg

UEy12Tx.jpeg

And that's it for today! The other 3 sides will all have doors cut out so they're going to take a bit more time. I started framing the inside for the drawers but they won't be in until tomorrow so they're just kind of wedged in place right now.
My wheels should be in on Friday which means I can get the tires on next week and have them mounted up so I can figure out what route I'm going with fenders!

as of 10/6/20:
$ spent: $714
Time spent: 18.5 hours

Last edited:

Roam.Wild

Got a lot done this weekend! Got everything installed and started filling screw holes and seams, inside was caulked for maximum waterproofing! Hinges, locks, and handles were installed and will have to be pulled back off before painting.
My new wheels came in, and of course, I accidentally ordered the wrong backspacing, so the new ones will be here next week and hopefully get tires later on next week!

All the wood on and doors cut in.
jpapKKL.jpeg

LT3gFcy.jpeg

XpxYnx7.jpeg

Some additional tie-down points inside.

te70GOq.jpeg

N3fDv5f.jpeg

Doors and all hardware mounted and started filling holes and seams. All the doors have keyed locks on them!

dUp6bjM.jpeg

hDcKXlK.jpeg

XGoukdR.jpeg

qViN35U.jpeg

RjrGekj.jpeg

Gonna look real good behind the 4runner and the Jeep!

tQvIeMa.jpeg

6C10W04.jpeg

All that is really left is to install the new wheels and tires, installed the brake lights and turn signals, do some sanding then lay in the 2nd coat of sealer then sand some more, and then paint! Oh and throw in some puck lighting inside! So close! I have already bought everything I need to finish so I'm hoping that with some minor odds and ends I may need, I will be right at or just under my $800 budget. I think I have about 7-8 more hours left of labor so I will be well under my time budget of 40 hours!

as of 10/11/20:
$ spent: $766
Time spent: 23.5 hours

Last edited:

Roam.Wild

NO, roll on bed liner on wood fails very quickly. Basically the wood checks and cracks, and makes a mess to fix.

The bottom is getting a rubberized undercoating from rhino liners, the entire thing will be sealed with sealing primer before the paint and undercoating which will stop any warpage or cracks

Roam.Wild

Ok big update since I TOTALLY forgot to update.

The trailer is done! Well actually has been done for a while! We have taken it out on two trips so far totally about 650 miles of pavement and about 150 miles of trails and it's been fantastic!
Version 2 is being built now so hopefully it'll be done by our next trip in 3 weeks, basically just adding a bunch of drawers and a large pass-through slide up front!

Total time: 53 hours
Total $: $850

Here's a video doing a little walk around as well!

Photo dump!!!!

JByfTcZ.jpeg

5r3UHoH.jpeg
EMWyymr.jpeg

9118T06.jpeg

WE HAVE LIGHT

Kc3pk6c.jpeg

KHJdQF3.jpeg

MfEJSkn.jpeg

tZ9jo69.jpeg

All done with paint and sealing!!!!!

ufTe2kP.jpeg

1LkQBkE.jpeg

xURj6bO.jpeg

I got done TWO HOURS before our first long weekend trip with it! But so excited to test it out!

Fq94qUk.jpeg

EsddbNd.jpeg

mvmABus.jpeg

vrvfpZM.jpeg

agyiPdx.jpeg
S1PptyF.jpeg

Roam.Wild

WrY3odc.jpeg

In the middle of packing up so not the best pic

K02jiG7.jpeg

srj7tfa.jpeg

bUJq0dH.jpeg

PjcgLVD.jpg

yZlwNl1.jpg

c5aSBTz.jpg

Wish our rooftop tent would arrive already =[ Second trip out with it and we beat the crapppp out of it because of all the washed-out trails after the hurricane

JTqN9oJ.jpeg

ok ok I need some fenders

Haq0Ras.jpeg

I'll continue to update as I add and change things for version 2!

M35A2

Tinkerer
Really nice! However, I share the concern posted earlier by someone else that the weak spot is where the uprights attach to the frame rails. I would probably also triangulate the tongue, and move the axle up.

Roam.Wild

Really nice! However, I share the concern posted earlier by someone else that the weak spot is where the uprights attach to the frame rails. I would probably also triangulate the tongue, and move the axle up.

Not sure if any of the pics show it well, but where the uprights are attached to the frame I boxed in and added vertical supports, they are probably now the strongest spots on the trailer. Triangulating the tongue was on my to-do list but after a little research, I figured it was pretty unscary with the loads I'm towing.

andysgreenxj

Observer
Not to be critical in the least, but it would seem that you most certainly have the skills. What made you buy the northern tools base trailer, to cut it up, and build a bigger trailer? Wouldnt it have been just as cost effective to build it out from scratch? When i built my teardrops frame, I had roughly the same money, and have it to my personal design. You have mad skills in your fab work :cool::cool:

rnArmy

Adventurer
Very nice!

You'll like your trailer even more if you swap out the factory slipper springs for some longer springs with a shackle at the end. It is a simple bolt-on affair. The factory slipper springs are way too stiff, and your trailer will be bouncing all the time.

OverlandNA

Very nice!

You'll like your trailer even more if you swap out the factory slipper springs for some longer springs with a shackle at the end. It is a simple bolt-on affair. The factory slipper springs are way too stiff, and your trailer will be bouncing all the time.
When you factor in all the extra steel and lumber he's added plus the future 100 lb + RTT and current gear, this trailer may ride just right. In 30+ yrs I've had 5 trailers and never once did I feel the need to change the springs for a better ride. A trailer is designed to carry load X, and everyone that is building/using it will have different loads that can and will change to the days needs. It's better to be oversprung than under lest we start snapping leaves.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles