2018 Ram Power Wagon

Pnwfullsize

So I decided to go a different direction with the truck. The cap/RTT setup was convenient, had good storage, and was a super easy setup for camping, but there were some negatives for me. The biggest thing that I didn't love about that setup was having to leave it on all the time. From posts back and forth on here with @UglyViking, I knew he was interested in the Falcon RTT and reached out to him. We struck up a deal and he made the few hour drive for a simple fork lift swap of the whole cap/RTT setup off of my truck and onto his. Now my truck is back to being an actual truck and it feels pretty good. I'm going to keep an eye on the classifieds, and all options open for a new type of setup. I ordered and installed a Bakflip F1 bed cover for now, and I'm really liking the clean look.

View attachment 621654

View attachment 621655

I did the same thing. Had a shell and RTT on my diesel but hated that it kind of limits your truck to a 1 trick pony. Thought long and hard about a GFC or 4wc, ended up with a trailer i can park in the garage and keep loaded ready to go. I go from normal pickup to overland machine in about 30 seconds. I did however get a softopper to keep weather off my gear in winter time.

Attachments

• 20200810_132025.jpg
    20200810_132025.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 120

jadmt

ignore button user
I did the same thing. Had a shell and RTT on my diesel but hated that it kind of limits your truck to a 1 trick pony. Thought long and hard about a GFC or 4wc, ended up with a trailer i can park in the garage and keep loaded ready to go. I go from normal pickup to overland machine in about 30 seconds. I did however get a softopper to keep weather off my gear in winter time.
how do you like the softopper? that is the route I think I am going to go.

GreggNY

I don't think I'd do another cap or soft topper even just for the sake of having something different. I've always liked the GFC setups, but the same problem as the cap/RTT is that it's basically a permanent addition. I'd love a FWC to be able to pop it on and off as a one man operation with the jacks, but I'd have to see how much of an issue the payload situation would be with that

Pnwfullsize

I don't think I'd do another cap or soft topper even just for the sake of having something different. I've always liked the GFC setups, but the same problem as the cap/RTT is that it's basically a permanent addition. I'd love a FWC to be able to pop it on and off as a one man operation with the jacks, but I'd have to see how much of an issue the payload situation would be with that

Yeah a 4wc was a serious contender, but i ultimately chose to go a route that allowed us to set up basecamp and go explore in the truck

GreggNY

Yeah a 4wc was a serious contender, but i ultimately chose to go a route that allowed us to set up basecamp and go explore in the truck

The trailer setups are no doubt the best way to go for that. Tons of features and convenience. I’d honestly probably be nervous as hell leaving that thing anywhere though. I also like being self contained as well to keep moving place to place if I wanted to. Just what I think works for me now, but that is always changing so who knows what will come next lol

GreggNY

How is the mpg on the 6.4L?

I posted a pic of my mpg a few pages back, but lifetime for the truck on 37s usually hovers around low to mid 14s. Maybe a little worse in colder weather, little better when it’s warmer.

Antwon412

Man. I’m lucky to hit 16 on my Rebel.
I have serious power wagon envy. Once they update the cab to the 5th gen I may have to do some measuring in my garage to see if I can squeeze it in there with the door closed.

don’t need a PW. But want a PW!

Pnwfullsize

The trailer setups are no doubt the best way to go for that. Tons of features and convenience. I’d honestly probably be nervous as hell leaving that thing anywhere though. I also like being self contained as well to keep moving place to place if I wanted to. Just what I think works for me now, but that is always changing so who knows what will come next lol

So true dude

Explorerinil

Observer
Man. I’m lucky to hit 16 on my Rebel.
I have serious power wagon envy. Once they update the cab to the 5th gen I may have to do some measuring in my garage to see if I can squeeze it in there with the door closed.

don’t need a PW. But want a PW!
TFL truck did a comparison of the rebel vs power wagon... for some odd reason the power wagon got better mpg than a v8 rebel. Doesn’t make sense.

D45

Explorer
Interesting about the MPG

I had a Ram Rebel rental for about 3 weeks last winter and I loved the ride with the four corner coils

I would have likely bought a Rebel, but could not find a used truck that did not have the air suspension

Pnwfullsize

You could keep a hitch lock on it. Or wheel locks? No matter what if someone wants it that bad though, they'll get it. That's what insurance is for, haha

A wheel lock wouldn't be a bad idea. Usually where we are camping there isnt a lot of people, and we have just hoped they arent theives and also prepared to steal a trailer. Break into it and steal our gear? Much more likely.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norcalmaier