Mint "80" - Would You Have the Roof Cut Off to Install a Campteq?

SoyBoy

If you owned an 80 series that checks off all the boxes
-no rust - 3 lockers - diesel - manual - the right color etc etc.

You wanted to set it up for expedition use. Each time you think through the traveling/living/sleeping/cooking/beer drinking configurations, in the end, the Campteq checks off the boxes for multi-month at a time outside of the USA travel.

So - would you cut a big hole in the roof of this 8/10 30 yo classic to accomplish the task? Would you be able to sleep at night knowing what you have just done!!!

Nope, can't afford to buy another one - or any alternate scenario ya'll may conjure up. One & fn done son....

Last edited:

Rallyroo

Expedition Leader
You guys are a soulless bunch-;) - nonetheless, I'm also leaning hard towards pulling out the Sawzall.

If you do cut the top, are you getting a custom built pop-top? Those Campteq's are not produced anymore and are very rare to find.

Rallyroo

Expedition Leader
roo - He started making them over a year ago - for the 80, the 100 and now the 60 series!!!

WHAT! WHAT! That's news to me!!!

That would save me the trouble of removing the old roof rack rails (and having to weld up the bolt holes) and removing the roof slat-thingy-mabobs. The paint on those are flaking off like the size of corn flakes.

It's all your fault! :)

alanymarce

As long as you ensure that the torsional strength is not compromised then it's yours so do what you want. Will you have to pass any kind of engineering certification for safety?

jdlobb

Adventurer
I definitely see those pop-top campers as an improvement, not just a piece of kit. I wouldn't even pause to think about it.

SoyBoy

WHAT! WHAT! That's news to me!!!

That would save me the trouble of removing the old roof rack rails (and having to weld up the bolt holes) and removing the roof slat-thingy-mabobs. The paint on those are flaking off like the size of corn flakes.

It's all your fault! :)
Hey - trying to point out the opportunities that are out there for ya - & of course to facilitate you pull out that credit card.

Rallyroo

Expedition Leader
Hey - trying to point out the opportunities that are out there for ya - & of course to facilitate you pull out that credit card.

Stimulate the economy. I have money in the bank so my stimulating-the-economy would be circulating real money instead of a pumped up imaginative credit value.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94