Earthroamer - Living full time questions

ScottPC

The Earth Roamers are impressive for sure, but you also might check out the Earth Cruisers (FX if popup is not desired but there are advantages) possibly the Nimbl, though it's partially a popup. I happen to think the pros outway the cons and prefer popups..the softsides are usually well insulated. I get that there is savings when buying used, but there has also been a lot of innovation. You might be able to buy a new EC for the price of used ER, and get more off road capability, park in a standard spot, and integrated systems innovation. You'd could also save on some maintenance cost with newer stuff. Without question, you have some exciting options and interesting decisions ahead.

Jo_Duval

Observer
I don’t have an ER but am a strong believer of buying something I enjoy driving and drive it! Be worried of putting too many miles on it is like buying a Porsche for it to sit in a garage, might as well consider it an art piece.

i like everything of the ER except it’s price tag, if I could live on the road I wouldn’t get one because I won’t off-road something that size, so it’s not for me. But if that was my plan And was ok with the price I’d jump on a used one and drive it everywhere, maybe get a dual sport bike on the back for small errands?

MNmtb

Luckily I’m not being forced into a decision too quickly. I’ve been looking pretty hard at EC as an option, but keep coming back to ER. I even toyed with Sprinter variants but nixed that pretty quickly. The off road limits of the ER is what is holding me back right now. Amazing how little content is available out there showing an ER doing anything more than just parked :(. I’d really like to see where they can go and where they can’t. I’ve seen the mud video, but that's more voyeuristic rather than informative. Maybe it’s a trip to Colorado for a demo.

martinf

Whatever you choose it will most likely not be your first or last vehicle so why not start with something cheap to figure out what you really need based on real life experience. I see people in plain old trailers camping in ski resorts and people in stock Subarus driving jeep trails so a full blown 4x4 expedition rig might check a lot of boxes you don't need.

I'm a big fan of EC (more than ER) but the lack of a garage area for bikes and skis does not work for me. I've had my bikes on a hitch rack before and did not like the extra maintenance that it caused. Having them on the bed of the truck under the cap was a big improvement and having them in my van now is great.

The one setup I keep coming back to when I think about full timing is a class C with rear corner bed. They usually have a huge storage space underneath, sometimes enough to put 2 bikes. You keep that for gear that can handle the cold and you put your bikes inside on the bed platform. You can move the fresh water tank inside and all the piping quite easily and use the bed over the cab for sleeping while still having a dinette to sit and rest. Add 10k for a 4x4 conversion and you got yourself a pretty nice rig for less than $100k or even less than $70k if you buy a 2 year old unit. And even better you can get something that is 22-24 feet long, easy to park and drive in the city. A Tiger RV is also a nice option.

Fraser way in Canada has its own fleet or Class C rentals for Canadian weather. One of the option is the Overlander which is 4x4. They sell their rentals after some time and you can find them online.
Or if you want the look you can get a Predator II with washer/dryer, extra insulation and any other customization you want. Brand new will be half the price of an ER and as with a class C you use the bunk area as a garage.

You can also rent an ER or a Tiger for a few days/weeks and see how you like them.

rruff

Explorer
I'm sure the ERs are capable offroad, if they will fit on the trails where you wish to use them.

Have you checked Bahn? The thing about ER (and pretty much any camper of this sort) is that it isn't designed for toy-hauling. It would be really nice to have external access to bikes and gear.

MNmtb

What you are describing is just fine, but nothing even close to the quality of EarthRoamer, GXV, etc. I know first hand...

So you are an Owner?

many details on where you’ve been? Where you had to stay away. Any first hand info would be greatly appreciated.

It’s just so interesting that there is absolutely nothing showing the capabilities/limits of these

sierraskier

Luckily I’m not being forced into a decision too quickly. I’ve been looking pretty hard at EC as an option, but keep coming back to ER. I even toyed with Sprinter variants but nixed that pretty quickly. The off road limits of the ER is what is holding me back right now. Amazing how little content is available out there showing an ER doing anything more than just parked :(. I’d really like to see where they can go and where they can’t. I’ve seen the mud video, but that's more voyeuristic rather than informative. Maybe it’s a trip to Colorado for a demo.

"capable off-road", "off-roading", <insert next vague, 100% subjective term here>...my recommendation is to get as specific as you can about about where you intend to take it and what you want to do. Will an ER do the Rubicon? No. As others have said the limits are mostly around length, width and height. Can it do the Overland Expo course? Yes. If your rig can, should you? Everyone will have their own answer to this...a lot also depends on the pilot. I heard a 1st hand story of a buddy who drove an ER to the top of a track/ridge that multiple trucks (one a Raptor) and vans failed to reach and when he got there the 3 Jeeps all looked at him in amazement and said "how the hell did you get up here in THAT?"

Check Jason's youtube feed - he's not afraid to test the limits

Last edited:

gregmchugh

Observer
He definitely tests the limits of the EarthRoamer and as you said just because you can do it doesn’t mean everyone will do it. The only major risk I see is knowing how close you can get to tipping over without going past that point. We don’t do anything like that with our GXV Patagonia on a Kenworth chassis so I have no experience on what the limits are on our truck.

sierraskier

He definitely tests the limits of the EarthRoamer and as you said just because you can do it doesn’t mean everyone will do it. The only major risk I see is knowing how close you can get to tipping over without going past that point. We don’t do anything like that with our GXV Patagonia on a Kenworth chassis so I have no experience on what the limits are on our truck.

Yes, but you have that same risk with any rig. Situations and circumstances will vary, but for me, ideally I'm not finding or approaching the limits of the rig. Especially if there's no support with a ~16k lbs rig in a remote location. I'm sure I'm the gating factor but I kind of like it that way. FWIW most of the heavy stuff is situated lower in the ER (while still being up in the camper for insulation) keeping the center of gravity fairly low, for how tall it is.

gregmchugh

Observer
Yes, but you have that same risk with any rig. Situations and circumstances will vary, but for me, ideally I'm not finding or approaching the limits of the rig. Especially if there's no support with a ~16k lbs rig in a remote location. I'm sure I'm the gating factor but I kind of like it that way. FWIW most of the heavy stuff is situated lower in the ER (while still being up in the camper for insulation) keeping the center of gravity fairly low, for how tall it is.

Yes, I don’t plan to get our 27,000 lb GXV stuck in a remote area. Ours also has a lower center of gravity than it appears for the same reason, most of the weight is down low.

gregmchugh

Observer
See my other post above. The ER will go damn near anywhere it’ll physically fit. It’s very impressive. I’ve gone through rock gardens, over big down trees, through streams, etc. That said, I also knocked off the satellite dish, moved the solar panels, gotten a lot of scratches, etc. due to pushing through some tight areas. Not exactly my goal with my new $600k rig but it was a good memory later. Also, as far as toy hauling, I pulled my Raptor with the ER and it was NOT good even at 55mph with all of the best flat tow gear. I think it’s best to have mountain bikes or electric scooters on board. Plus, I don’t like a trailer behind any vehicle because it makes backing up and turning much harder in tight areas. It’s optimized to be what it is in terms of weight. Also check out GXV, their stuff is top notch but somewhat different. They are building my new rig which will be even more wild than an ER HD!

Interested in hearing what GXV is building for you?

Our Kenworth Patagonia is 3 years old with 55,000 miles with no major issues so far...

loup407

Adventurer
FWIW, we owned an ER for several years, drove it to some very remote places as well as both coasts. We sold it a year ago, and since then have been a little lost, as not much compares in fit/finish/quality. I would be happy to share my experiences, feel free to DM me.

DzlToy

Explorer
Set up an anonymous NM LLC, using an in-state registered agent. Then set up a manager-managed Wyoming or Montana LLC with the NM LLC as the single member. Register and insure the ER, or whatever you end up buying, in Montana, in the name of the LLC. You will save a fortune in taxes and eliminate all personal liability, should something catastrophic occur.

Private trusts and PUA/TUA are also options, but those are beyond the scope of this post.

Have you considered a "soft-roader" RV, akin to an ER in concept or design, but without the capability and price tag?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles