Removable front winch mounting

Peter_n_Margaret

Adventurer
DIY. Warn 16.5Ti.
Built onto a cradle that fits into a Hayman Reece style hitch front or rear or can be used remotely from the crank or house batteries via an "extension cord".
The remote use is the most versatile and the winch always points towards the winching point so the cable does not bunch up on one side of the drum.
Remote winch operation.jpg
Cheers,
Peter
OKA196 motorhome

jkam

nomadic man
This was on my old van when I bought it. You could remove it and put it on the rear hitch, but I didn't have longer wiring to make it back there.
Never used it so not sure how well it was on there.
front suspension 2007.jpg

MNmtb

169AE865-9A14-4F24-ABCB-491CD2F59346.jpeg

this is what I did to my rig. i installed a new mount that attaches to the frame. The mount had a welded 2’ receiver on it so it is as strong as the frame. Then purchased a portable mount for the winch. I’ve used it a few times and have had no worries about strength. Mind you, I haven’t gotten any where near capacity, but feel confident it could get me out of most situation. As a bonus I have a battery in the bed with Anderson connectors to use in the rear receiver if needed.

nitro_rat

Lunchbox Lockers
Just for a dry run go down to harbor freight. Grab a winch and a cradle and carry them up to the check out counter without using a buggy. If you make it all the way up there and still think it's a good idea go ahead and pay for it. I wouldn't blow Warn money on a portable setup unless you fond a good deal on used stuff.

I highly recommend wiring your vehicle with Anderson connectors front and rear for use with jumper cables, not so much for winching...

broncobowsher

Adventurer
I have a Warn receiver hitch mount sitting in the garage. Got the setup, changed to a bumper mounted winch, got rid of the rig. Backed off my travels and am not a winch person that much. Over 10 years since I did any winching, mostly because I don't own anything with a winch anymore nor am I planning on getting one. Just don't get that adventurous anymore. Can't say it is bad, just not my style. Friend had one on a super duty and thought it was the greatest thing ever.

MNmtb

Here is the mount for my front receiver. bolts directly to the frame With 8 bolts. Pretty beefy! The side pull could be a concern, but a couple snatch blocks keeps everything centered even if the anchor isn’t.

Also, please tell me why a 175amp connector isn’t enough?

A699607E-87B6-4D91-8F9C-F036C454E544.jpeg

Last edited:

alia176

Explorer
This is my opinion but I don't think this style of winch mount is practical. It poke out too far, making you worry about digging it into things. When you bury yourself in mud, it's not fun detaching from the front then attach it to the rear while walking in mud and carrying 85# of dead weight. The actual mount is built so that anything but a super straight pull may result in putting undue leverage on the mounting solution. I bet people with these styles of mounts don't really move their winches to the rear as often as they thought they'd.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Milamr

b27fc8c09f4ef5a3c64e249c9e8d2a31.jpg

Here is a picture of my setup. Warn cradle with a Smittbilt winch. Positive is that it stays out of the weather so the synthetic line will last much longer, cost was much less than buying a bumper and I can move it to the rear if necessary. Negative is that the approach and departure angles are hurt when the winch is in place. When in a place like Moab where approach and departure are important I store it inside the rear hatch and when I am in an area where approach and departure angles are not important and there is lots of water or mud I mount it on the front. Life is generally full of trade offs this is no different.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RoyJ

Adventurer
Also, please tell me why a 175amp connector isn’t enough?

Probably because a winch at full line pull is well over that. Here's the spec for a Warn 8274:

8274.jpg

I'd imagine momentary is okay. I connect my rear winch with 1/0 copper jumper cables directly to the lead terminals of my bed mounted aux batteries. From the aux battery to the engine bay is connected by Andersens.

MNmtb

So why does Warn sell these?

Probably because a winch at full line pull is well over that. Here's the spec for a Warn 8274:

View attachment 620975

I'd imagine momentary is okay. I connect my rear winch with 1/0 copper jumper cables directly to the lead terminals of my bed mounted aux batteries. From the aux battery to the engine bay is connected by Andersens.

So no bueno?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles