Colorado slide in camper build

Canlib

It sounded so easy when my wife said "We should get a truck camper. We would use it way more than the Airstream.". So I started my research after ignoring the 2019 Colorado user's manual that says this truck is not suitable for slide in campers.

I was surprised to find out how rare slide-ins are for mid size pickups. Nothing available used and FWC want a LOT of money for new. I could build one I thought and my Google search brought me to Expedition Portal. After reading 'til my eyes bled, I decided on a homebuilt composite. Then I found out how close to impossible it is to buy composite panels. I read Pods8's sad account and decided against making my own panels and shifted to aluminum frame.

That was when I discovered Andrew's 1986 GMC-15 thread. Thanks to his great build thread, the inspiration of his terrific adventures and an afternoon drinking beer in his shop I started on my Alaskan style pop-up.

DRAX

If you’re not sold on a slide-in and want a clean slate to start with, basically building the inside however you want, check out the Four Wheel Camper Project M. That is likely where I’ll be headed in a few years or so.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Canlib

I built the base out of poplar marine plywood (much lighter than fir) that I biscuit joined together and painted with two coats of oil paint. I wanted to put teak skid strips under it but my local hardwood supplier suggested purpleheart instead. Less than half the price and he claims just as durable and water resistant.

Attachments

• 20200925_121752.jpg
    20200925_121752.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 149

spectre6000

Observer
Ignoring the manual is fine. I'm all for it. But I don't yet understand why slide in campers are vorboten... I know the tailgate is at a slightly positive angle when it's down, but that seems like such a zero issue that it's hard to imagine that's all it is...

Canlib

Ignoring the manual is fine. I'm all for it. But I don't yet understand why slide in campers are vorboten... I know the tailgate is at a slightly positive angle when it's down, but that seems like such a zero issue that it's hard to imagine that's all it is...
It puzzles me too. I'm removing the tailgate...two bolts and the backup camera plug. I decided that as long as I don't exceed the payload, there can't be a problem. I'm applying the same logic to using the factory tie downs. The rule might come from the same engineers who decided to make the box slope to the front and not put drain holes in it.

Andrew_S

Observer
Holy friggin progress! Man unreal. This is looking awesome. Can't wait to see more pics as this all comes together.

Because they don't want the liability for this much too often seen result (in Australia most load everything and the kitchen sink AND tow a boat or van!). 1604902089458.png

Canlib

Started the sheeting yesterday. Just over an hour to put the three roof panels on by myself. I was dubious about VHB tape, but now I'm a total fan! The tough backing tape means you can carefully align the panels before you pull the backing out from underneath. Easy!20201114_163015.jpg20201114_163024.jpg

Canlib

The panels butt together on top of the VHB tape. The tape secures them and seals them. At least that's the plan. I haven't tested a seam, but the tape makes such a secure bond after rolling that I can't imagine leakage.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles