Expensive V10 SMB

Msand

Importer
What's the true value you think? I'm interested for a starter.. but don't want to over pay cause hoping to resell once I start getting going.
Comparables sell for around $38k-45k

If it was the 7.3l more in the 45k-60k range

86scotty

Cynic
Comparables sell for around $38k-45k

If it was the 7.3l more in the 45k-60k range

Maybe 30, maybe 35 if it was really loaded and cared for. Not even a diesel with an overblown reputation can make up for it being 23 years old. Also keep in mind that even though the V10 is usually very tough the early ones had more spark plug and other issues. Tranny wasn't as stout either.

Unless you live on the west coast in van dreamers territory of course. If that's the case logic does not apply.

zip

I prefer social distancing.
Maybe 30, maybe 35 if it was really loaded and cared for. Not even a diesel with an overblown reputation can make up for it being 23 years old. Also keep in mind that even though the V10 is usually very tough the early ones had more spark plug and other issues. Tranny wasn't as stout either.

Unless you live on the west coast in van dreamers territory of course. If that's the case logic does not apply.

Can you please clarify what you mean by this:
"Unless you live on the west coast in van dreamers territory of course. If that's the case logic does not apply."

MSD

Well Known Xplor’r
What 86Scotty said... 30-35k. Personally for me $30k max... this van is out dated. Low mileage means nothing other than change out all the rubber & gaskets. Everything is gonna be dried up.

86scotty

Cynic
Can you please clarify what you mean by this:
"Unless you live on the west coast in van dreamers territory of course. If that's the case logic does not apply."

I mean that there are hot spots in this country where absolutely every van is overpriced. It has been that way for years but is getting worse. These would be Portland, Seattle, the Bay Area and San Diego.

I can find comparable vans in other parts of the country for half of the price people sell them for in these areas.

It’s been this way for many years but #vanlife and Covid have driven them up even more as it’s a sellers market for most luxury items.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

zip

I mean that there are hot spots in this country where absolutely every van is overpriced. It has been that way for years but is getting worse. These would be Portland, Seattle, the Bay Area and San Diego.

I can find comparable vans in other parts of the country for half of the price people sell them for in these areas.

It’s been this way for many years but #vanlife and Covid have driven them up even more as it’s a sellers market for most luxury items.

Oh, yes, you may be correct there.

Jdubucsd

Addicted to Espresso
Whats the number one selling point when selling anything, price!!

Id say in the 30s would be a fair buy. 40s too much 20s to low if you were the seller.

But to each their own. Maybe the seller is super cool or is he a total jerk off, how well is the rig!! Photos dont always do it justice or are fair.

Is it close to you, or is it a flight and a roll of the dice. So many variables...enjoy the ride regardless just dont overpay lol

86scotty

Cynic
I’m not disagreeing with your post but if you know Sportsmobiles then the photos DO do it justice. This is a great rig for what it is, a hardtop with an actual shower, generator and looks like about every option you could get back then. The problems for me are that it’s so outdated. Sportsmobile had very cheap cabinetry back then. Those Reunel bumpers with the chrome on them say 1980s and that old absorption fridge with the giant vent holes cut out of the side of the van are blasphemy IMO.

I would love to know what this thing sells for but we’ll probably never know.

UHAULER

Explorer
When I'm looking at something I always try to add up what it would cost to build. To me, a 2wd van like this would be 8-15,000. It has totally outdated interior. An old fridge with huge ugly holes in the body.
For 75k I think you could build much better. Of course some people don't see it that way and would pay for having it now even if it's old and outdated.

zip

A '97 Airstream B190 just sold on the B190 site that had a negotiable price listed at $19K. The sold post says vehicle is next headed to UJOR for a 4WD conversion which starts at around 20k depending on a few specifics and average at ~$25k.
I bought a SMB new in '03, and was very disappointed in the quality of the workmanship.
If I was gonna go this route again, I would definitely go with the Airstream over the SMB.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles