I finally found one!

B.N.Z.MTNS

Elevation 8,500’
Well finally, after a few months of searching for the right rig to get a Montero back into our family again, I went ahead and pulled the trigger on this one. I shared on the Facebook page, but wanted to share here as well as I will be a regular visitor gleaning more information as I continue to improve.
 This one was posted on the Facebook page and I have been communicating with the seller for a couple weeks about it.
He made some concessions on price and I was able to pick up a bargain airplane ticket to go out there and drive it home.
I think I paid premium price as far as Monteros go... but for a straight body, rust free specimen with all necessary maintenance up-to-date and quality aftermarket modifications, I would’ve spent that amount of money over the next couple years anyway doing the same things.
It goes down the interstate at 80 just fine and could easily be a daily driver if I wanted. In fact, these pictures were taken earlier today on the last third of my thousand mile journey home.

This rig will now reside in the western Colorado mountains at 8,500 feet elevation and there will be plenty more mountainous backdrops with this in the foreground.

I have already discovered my first project will be to determine why I’m getting minimal to no heat from the heater. I’m hoping I don’t have to pull the whole dash apart.
DA583713-B06D-43C7-A1D4-A40B7C3AD066.jpeg
6CC6CC0A-FB35-47B2-A4A2-EB4E3713893B.jpeg
03AAE28C-A72A-4C65-8946-C9A7631AE3D0.jpeg

lev

Can anyone share some wisdom on hood louvers?

The Monty above has one of the louvers patterned for Jeep TJs. There are also much smaller sets like this ebay one for an XJ. These seem to be used in sports cars for venting engine bay heat, as well as off-roaders during slow crawls in high ambient heat and to lower heat soak when engine is off (venturi effect at high speed, convection at low speed/idle). At the same time, they expose the engine bay to rain and snow during the winter months, so getting the biggest one that'll fit may not be best for an all-year vehicle. So then, does anyone have any rules of thumb for sizing these given closed engine bay temps/ambient temps and type of use (e.g. widest range being: crawl up steep grades in 120F, winter use flat cross-country-style at 20F)?

I suppose during the winter, it's trivial to duct tape the inside openings shut, so the rain/winter concern may be overstated.

PacS14

Adventurer
Congratulations on your find! That Montero looks sweet! You know looking back I wish I would have find something ready to go like this too, but I do enjoy wrenching...so I do enjoy the struggle and we'll is not my daily either.

B.N.Z.MTNS

Elevation 8,500’
"it's another way for heat to get out of the engine bay" - but they also address a nonexistent problem and if you do have a heat problem on a Montero that's not making 300+ horsepower it's because you have an actual problem with the cooling system not because not enough vents.

So that's my take on it, put vents on if you want to look cool but fix your cooling system if you just want to have a long term reliable non-overheaty Montero.

The PO on this is in Southern California and probably experienced some of the same high temps that y’all have in Arizona. From what I understand, he noted the engine getting warm when following a group of other four wheelers at low speeds.
Instead of addressing just the cooling system issues and then evaluating... he went all out with everything possible to bring temps down under the hood.
He installed an aftermarket oversized radiator, secondary transmission cooler, and a hood louver all at once. I do think some of it was for the cool factor, but letting heat escape is rarely a bad thing ... except for slow warm-ups during the winter months.

I do like the way it looks, but I also anticipate cleaning the engine bay more regularly because of it.

Reactions: lev

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94