Driving habits on steep highway inclines

kerry

Expedition Leader
I am on my second set of all terrains. The first were BFG A/T KO2's which were 3/4 inch out of round and always vibrated horribly. Replaced them after 10k miles with the cheapest tires money could buy which are PRO-COMP A/T. 25K hard hard miles later and they still have 30 percent left.

What exact size are they? I have some miles left on my Cooper’s but I’m planning to go taller on the next set.

Zuber

I'm considering on changing out the Toyo MT's when worn out, to AT type tires. I'm planning on mostly running pavement, rock roads and sand, very little mud. Good idea? The MT's are really loud and no doubt the AT's will wear longer.

2017 Fuso FG Earth Cruiser with 315x16 Toyo MT's.

yabanja

Explorer
I'm considering on changing out the Toyo MT's when worn out, to AT type tires. I'm planning on mostly running pavement, rock roads and sand, very little mud. Good idea? The MT's are really loud and no doubt the AT's will wear longer.

2017 Fuso FG Earth Cruiser with 315x16 Toyo MT's.
I am very happy with A/T tires. They are super quiet on the highway, work really well in sand and gravel, and air down to such big balloons that they work pretty well in the mud as well. I carry mud chains just in case.

Allan

SkiFreak

Crazy Person
From everything i have read about the OEM rims, it would appear that they are not all that strong.
I might be wrong, but I think that if you were to put a taller tyre on these rims you might increase the posibility of bending them, given the additional forces that would be applied.

You only live one mate... splurge and get yourself some nice super singles. :)

yabanja

Explorer
I agree with the splurging part! Super singles are the single best thing you can do for your truck. That having been said I believe people have put 9.00R 16 military tires on stock rims in aus. successfully. They were 36" tall. The size which was common at the time is no longer available (don't be lured into buying 10 plus year old surplus tires!) although it seems someone was importing a chinese alternative in Washington state. It's been a while so I haven't really been paying attention. The stock wheels are too narrow for most other large diameter sizes. Keep in mind most military tires are only rated to 55 mph.

Allan

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles