New 270 Awning available.

Photobug

Most people push the awning forward so that it extends over the cab. This way when it unfolds it still covers the rear tailgate. It won’t work if you can’t mount the awning above the roof line though as it would block the door if it were lower.

Personally I’d love to see a 80”-90” square back 270. I think they are rare though.

Another option I’ve thought about is 2 separate awnings, one side, one rear, then a “corner” attachment to create a 270 like coverage.

Another option is a 180 that links up with a standard side or rear awning.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bundutech has a 360 awning that covers the front and back. If your main purpose for an awning is heat, this would be a nice feature to keep the vehicle cooler by shading the front windshield.

rajacat

How do like the LT model? I'm vacillating between ordering the Nomadic and the LT. The LT looks like it would hold up better in high winds and be easier to deploy for short stays. The lighter weight and smaller folded up profile are plus points for the LT too.

Vanhalo

Still have not received it yet. Northridge4x4 gave me a bogus ship date. I did receive the OVS Car Side shower this week.

How do like the LT model? I'm vacillating between ordering the Nomadic and the LT. The LT looks like it would hold up better in high winds and be easier to deploy for short stays. The lighter weight and smaller folded up profile are plus points for the LT too.

XPLRMOR

That is my point how do you mount a 96 inch awning to a 60 inch bedrack ?
Some must have done it? No?
The mounting points will not be to the outer extents of the awning. Depending on the manufacture your minimum distance for mounting brackets will vary. My batwing states a minimum of 700mm spacing between brackets. Mounting your awning to the bed rack will not be an issue as long as you do so allowing for clearance of the truck cabs movement independent of the bed. I have no idea of the amount of movement for your rig, or how your awning mount will be (over cab, or next to) but would think the manufacture of your awning should be able to guide you. Failing that my guess is a 2"-3" gap should be sufficient to allow movement.
Good Luck

rajacat

Did you order everything from Northridge4x4 and did they send you a discount coupon code ? :cool:
I'm on the verge of ordering the LT model, left side version. The extra coverage of the larger model is nice but I I'd rather have something that could withstand consistently strong winds and be able to deploy in strong wind. It would be nice to have the squared off rear but it looks as though the LT version covers the tailgate area (2018 F150 w/ GFC camper) enough and with a wall it would provide a nice sheltered area. The LT, being a smaller awning might make it easier to tighten the whole awning so that there aren't loose sections to blow in the wind.
I'll take the money saved with ordering the LT and spend it on the shower addition.

Last edited:

alia176

Explorer
Thank you. Looks like Northridge has a 30day lead time for the Nomadic on their site. I called them and they told me that the live inventory is up to date.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

Last edited:

alia176

Explorer
I'm on the verge of ordering the LT model, left side version. The extra coverage of the larger model is nice but I I'd rather have something that could withstand consistently strong winds and be able to deploy in strong wind. It would be nice to have the squared off rear but it looks as though the LT version covers the tailgate area (2018 F150 w/ GFC camper) enough and with a wall it would provide a nice sheltered area. The LT, being a smaller awning might make it easier to tighten the whole awning so that there aren't loose sections to blow in the wind.
I'll take the money saved with ordering the LT and spend it on the shower addition.

I don't think the OVS unit is capable of handling "strong winds" based on the structure involved. A strong gust of wind will impact the LT and the normal model equally, I'd think, so I suggest going for the larger unit for more shade, if you don't mind the extra weight. I'm leaning toward the larger unit because max shade is a huge deal to me, as well as rain protection. I bet I'll put one or more poles down but won't anchor with guy rope unless the breeze becomes stronger. The Bush company MAX unit seems totally stout but at almost twice the cost plus shipping isn't it making it so tasty!!

rajacat

I think that the larger of two similarly constructed awnings will provide more surface area for wind to create mischief. You can't have it both ways ie. there's always some compromise. The LT will be easier to deploy especially when its windy, less profile when closed for fuel efficiency, lighter in weight and fewer parts to fail.
On the other hand, the larger awning obviously creates a larger rain and sun protected area.

Vanhalo

My motivation is weight and clearance. Maybe I am wrong but the LT version seems like it sits lower.
I think that the larger of two similarly constructed awnings will provide more surface area for wind to create mischief. You can't have it both ways ie. there's always some compromise. The LT will be easier to deploy especially when its windy, less profile when closed for fuel efficiency, lighter in weight and fewer parts to fail.
On the other hand, the larger awning obviously creates a larger rain and sun protected area.

Additionally the LT version is about the same weight as the Rhino Rack Batwing.
I wanted a smaller footprint and I am installing it on quick disconnects from Smart Touring Systems.

alia176

Explorer
My motivation is weight and clearance. Maybe I am wrong but the LT version seems like it sits lower.

Additionally the LT version is about the same weight as the Rhino Rack Batwing.
I wanted a smaller footprint and I am installing it on quick disconnects from Smart Touring Systems.

Both OVS units are built on the same backplane and mounts identically so the height will be the same. I'm grappling with the weight issue as well as I don't want the COG of my rig any higher than it already is.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

rajacat

Ha ha! Now I'm leaning towards the large one. I figure that since it's going to reside on a full size pickup, weight is not an issue because I'm way under the GVWR. Somewhere I watched a video of it being demonstrated on a F150 and it looked good. The large one (Nomadic) has about 7 square inches more frontal exposure when packed for those concerned with MPG. :)

Purchased the Ostrich Wing Awning from Ruggedbound. It came down to the Bush Co 270 XT and the Ostrich... timing was critical as I wanted to have the awning installed at the same time as my Overland Explorer Camp-X was getting installed at Big Sky RV in Bozeman. Theo at Ruggedbound was able to get the Ostrich Wing Awning to me on time and helped with install guidance. I highly recommend contacting him if interested. Big Sky did a fantastic job on the install. The door opens easily and I have the rear and side coverage I was after. A couple of surprises on the awing - it came with 3 legs (I thought it would be one) and it came with a light bar that is powered via 12v. The light bar eliminates the need for a side light on the camper or lantern on my cooking table. I ended up removing two of the bars as it's easier to put the awning away with a little less bulk and weight. Plus, it's so good in the wind, it's hard to see to the need for 3 legs. It also came with a bag of poles and stakes if you really want to secure it. The awning really is a 30 second setup. Putting it away is a little longer for me as I have to use a ladder to zip up the bag. Let me know if you have any questions regarding the awning. I'm loving it so far.

IMG_2976-copy.jpg

IMG_2965-copy.jpg

IMG_2964-copy.jpg

IMG_2963-copy.jpg

IMG_2962-copy.jpg

IMG_2967-copy.jpg

IMG_2966-copy.jpg

Light bar

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member