New 2019 2500 Cummins (not a PW) - too big?

montypower

Adventure Time!
Your truck isn't that much larger than the modern "midsize" trucks (talking 5" wider) and the wheelbase isn't much longer than the widely accepted Jeep Gladiator. People will tell you to turn around. Go figure it out for yourself. Bring some recovery gear and adventure!

Locking differentials are extremely helpful for crawling control. Less spinning = less broken things. Drop air pressure. Bit of armor is handy to lessen worries.

We took the Super Duty on the Broken Arrow trail. It was fun watching the amazed looks on Jeeper faces. It was easy.

Dragon_Runner

Your truck isn't that much larger than the modern "midsize" trucks (talking 5" wider) and the wheelbase isn't much longer than the widely accepted Jeep Gladiator. People will tell you to turn around. Go figure it out for yourself. Bring some recovery gear and adventure!

Locking differentials are extremely helpful for crawling control. Less spinning = less broken things. Drop air pressure. Bit of armor is handy to lessen worries.

We took the Super Duty on the Broken Arrow trail. It was fun watching the amazed looks on Jeeper faces. It was easy.

appreciate you and the others on here encouraging a bit of exploration. It’s what we enjoy.

What are the min essentials of recovery gear? My first impressions are a tire repair kit, recovery boards, a shovel, and maybe a hi-lift jack (and perhaps a good 2x8 to put under it?)... without a winch on board recovery straps, shackles, snatch block etc don’t seem to be priorities. Maybe a hi-powered GMRS to give a shout out in case?

montypower

Adventure Time!
I'd make sure you have:
Good spare tire (matching size), jack (working) and lug wrench, basic hand tools (wrenches), tire pressure gauge (ability to air down), air compressor (air up), shovel (good digging one - short shovel), recovery strap (I like the bungee style - Bubba rope), recovery point front and rear, shackle (for attaching rope to vehicle). Can use a shackle hitch adapter and weld on recovery point on the frame in front (if you don't have one). This gives you the best chance to be recovered if you get in over your head.

My opinions:
High lift jacks are terrible and not safe. I don't recommend them. Old school off road guys love them. I've been on trails for 18 years and yet to see them be of benefit. I have seen them slip, tip and fall. They really require a solid connection to the vehicle. I had a locking "slider adapter" that connected to the jack and would cradle a tube slider. I would give it to anyone attempting to use a high lift. It massively helped. But most people don't have good locations to jack using a high lift. Realistically a good axle jack is best for changing tires.

MaxTrax or recovery boards. They are cool but rarely helpful. If you are really stuck your tire will spin on the board or kick it out while the vehicle remains in place. The best case use for them is in sand and possibly snow. I've owned several sets and used the crap out of them. Used them in every situation possible. They were beat to heck. I will say MaxTrax are the best built ones. But what I found was they rarely were the solution. They are heavy, awkward to carry on vehicles, expensive and messy (especially in mud). A good shovel worked better almost always. Nearly every recovery ultimately required digging even with the MaxTrax. It's funny. Most of these boards on "overland" trucks look brand new... clearly not used yet people swear by them and won't leave home without them. I sold all my sets of boards. Been happily rock crawling and overlanding for 4 years without them.

Hope that helps.

Dragon_Runner

First of all - OF COURSE that helps! Thank for the time and thoughtful reply.

I'd make sure you have: … recovery strap (I like the bungee style - Bubba rope)…
Just to be clear - I don't have a winch. Still recommend a recovery strap? I'm assuming because I can always have another vehicle assist with the recovery... what if solo? Are there techniques (pully / block) to use recovery straps without a winch?

My opinions: ...High lift jacks are terrible and not safe. I don't recommend them...
I only see a slider or bumper as a good lift point with these, and I don't have either. My thinking was #1 they aren't terribly expensive and heavy and #2 I don't see a bottle jack being able to pull a wheel if you are not on a flat level surface. Again there's probably some nice tricks to that...

MaxTrax or recovery boards. They are cool but rarely helpful...
There are some cheaper options, and a newer set that fold to a square shape that may help with storage. I agree that deep soft sand and possibly mud will be the only times I'mm gonna break them out, and I can't spend the kind of $$$ MaxTrax cost for those events.

Got a good "recovery 101" thread in here you can recommend?

montypower

Adventure Time!
Yes, you want a recovery strap! There is nowhere that is that far from somewhere in the states (maybe other countries). Getting another vehicle to help will be pointless unless you have basic recovery gear and recovery points. If still worried get a SAT messenger like Garmin Inreach to call for help (cheap insurance). But realistically, stay in your comfort zone as you gain skills and you probably won't have an issue. Plus, always best to travel with a buddy (for fun and safety).

There are lots of different axle style jacks. Getting a level surface is easy... bust out the shovel. Bring a couple wood blocks.

skimch

No way I think you picked the perfect platform. We have the same truck lol! I think with a few mods you'll love, we have taken ours all around the country and do so many trails. The torque is insane, 90% of the time you will no even need lockers. Here's what we have done to our truck.

Nice write up. Liked and subscribed. I am starting my build on my 2019 2500 CTD, or at least have been since I've bought it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior