Questions: 1st Time Jeep Buyer

Josh41

Adventurer
Back Story: Wife's 2008 Solara Convertible needs replacing. Having trouble sorting a few things out before we choose a Wrangler model. I've done some research, plan on doing some more. We will use it as a daily driver, for beach fishing, mountain bike hauler, some offroading, but never crawling.

1. Engine: I feel like I should stick with the V6 3.6L. Any reason to choose a different?

2. Family of 3 and dog, we have a 4X4 Pickup already. I like the 2 doors wheelbase, any reason not to do a 2 door?

3. Tops: Will we regret the soft top only, we are near Boston?

4. Can you do an aftermarket remote starter?

5. Would we regret the S model, aside from the obvious, roll windows, seats, lockers, ect. Is it the same truck as other models (frame, 4x4 system) ?

6. Its Oct. 2020, should I expect to pay sticker, or how much lower?

7. Any recent used models to avoid?

Thanks in advance.

jadmt

ignore button user
Test drive the 2.0 and 3.6 back to back. Get a 4 door. I always wanted a 2 door until i got one Just too small. I had the dual top on my first jeep and sold the soft top. Plastic windows suck in areas that have winter. Should be lots of deals. Also get a rubicon you won’t regret it. My first was a a basic sport with manual windows and that gets old after a while because. Also rubicon has 4.10’s and face it everybody ends up going with bigger tires eventually.

jeepers29

Getting into the back seat of a 2 door gets old very quickly. If you dont plan on modding it too much, I would get the Rubicon . Comes with all the things that if you add, would void your warranty.

jadmt

ignore button user
so much easier getting a dog in a 4 door too. plus with a four door you can pull the rear seat and have a great weekend camper. Wife and I and dog spent many of nights camping that way.

NatersXJ6

Explorer
2 Door isn’t as nice as 4 in winter driving, they swap ends much more easily, although thousands drive in snow all the time, your tolerance might vary. Families grow and dogs age, and getting in and out of the back of a 2 door is rough, this why the 4 door is so wildly popular.

for your described uses, a sport model is probably going to keep you completely happy.

I agree with the earlier statement that plastic windows suck in winter, but people live with them. The illusion of security provided by a hard top can be nice versus soft, but... you bought a wrangler to put the top down.

I have no idea on pricing. I varies widely and regionally, but I’m guessing soft top only units new and used get cheap in November and December.

zgfiredude

I'll echo most of what's been said already:
1. Get a 4 door unless you truly are happy with the size of the 2 door, but they are small. You'll take more stuff with you than you think.
2. You need to think of how it will be used MOST of the time, you may not NEED a Rubicon, but for the gearing, lockers, and front axle it's a worthy upgrade if you need that stuff.
3. It's easy to make a hard top behave like a soft top, but not the other way around.

The transfer case is different on the Rubicon's, so the "crawl ratio" is much lower......good for real off-roading, but if overlanding, the other transfer case is often preferred.

It's about being honest with yourself up front.....how will you really use it, and what suits that usage the best. Good Luck!

NatersXJ6

Explorer
Some additional thoughts:

My 2014 JK was new off the lot. It is by far the worst CAR I’ve ever owned. And I love it.

One of my friends advised when I was considering going from a large Sedan to a Jeep:

If you want a vehicle that rides rough, leaks, blows around on the highway, has horrible mileage, low payload, bad towing capacity, and terrible interior noise but puts a huge smile on your face every day, the Jeep is probably for you.

If you have low expectations with respect to NVH, Driving Comfort, etc... you’ll be fine. Resale value is pretty good too.

Josh41

Adventurer
Some additional thoughts:

My 2014 JK was new off the lot. It is by far the worst CAR I’ve ever owned. And I love it.

One of my friends advised when I was considering going from a large Sedan to a Jeep:

If you want a vehicle that rides rough, leaks, blows around on the highway, has horrible mileage, low payload, bad towing capacity, and terrible interior noise but puts a huge smile on your face every day, the Jeep is probably for you.

If you have low expectations with respect to NVH, Driving Comfort, etc... you’ll be fine. Resale value is pretty good too.
Haha, exactly what we are looking for. The Solara was nice but boring. But it does leak now, and is loud. Luckily we have a lifted truck for the big jobs.
Thanks for the input.

shays4me

Willing Wanderer
I’ve had plenty of short jeeps and I absolutely love my four door. I can sleep in the back if need be and it’s so much handier with my girls than my cj7. Oh, and you’ll hate a soft top. Get a hardtop jeep and you’ll thank yourself in that taxachussetts weather. If you don’t plan to off road much and have never used, needed or know what a locker is then get a sport. The traction control works pretty dang good on the wrangler and you won’t need the 4:1 transfer case or the other goodies. I would suggest the heavy duty 3500lb tow package though so you get 3.73 gears. That will save you a lot in the long run if you decide on some bigger tires or just want more power.

wasatchcascade

Reflection
First time Jeep buyer. Beware/expectations/myth. I an have old Jeep Grand Cherokee (4WD) that is capable in most situations; and it's quiet, secure, no wind or water leakage and drives comfortably & capability on paved and dirt roads. I also have 2dr and 4dr Jeep Rubicons which operate completely differently. I've had them for a number of years - expedition vehicles. I would never want or use those as a highway commute, travel or light dirt use (unless I was going/returning on an outside venture). But there are many people out there that do use a variety of jeep platforms for short or long commute; (and on paved routes, dust/dirt normally doesn't accumulate). A Toyota 4 Runner or used Land Cruiser (or the new Ford Bronco) would be my choice if I had to do it again - for a semi commute and outdoor vehicle. Better gas mileage with those, than the jeep. And yes I would agree that a 4 door is much more amenable to 3 people, sitting and storing than a 2dr. The turning radius and handling of a 2dr. jeep in some settings, off road, is very nice, but a 4dr. climbs more effectively, rides on a highway or dirt road better and is more comfortable ride overall. (A 2dr. is less expensive though). And the engine and parts within a jeep, historically not rated as high as a 4 Runner or Land Cruiser. I guess if you get a deal on a vehicle, you go for it and try it. Year back I bought a 2dr Rubicon used with about 40K miles on it. At 45K the engine block and manifold went "out" and I had to pay a tidy sum for a new system. Had to get that vehicle towed from 20 miles S of Moab and then a week later another 200 plus mile tow. But things are all statistically variable, and your vehicle (if you get one) may run well and meet your expectations (or it may not?). I assume you've been in or driven a semi-recent jeep before and know what you are getting into. Good luck!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94