the "TONKA" express budget van build

david.lemke

Adventurer
share what model swivel you used for the passenger seat?

I second this. Also what seat is that, is it stock? Awesome build none the less.

I will get pics up when I get home tonight,
the pass seat is actually mounted in backward as the lower mount would hit the frame channels of the body so I reversed it to make it work, I also cut a new grove 180 degrees from the original one so this way it will lock in the forward position also, but I will get pics tonight when I get home from work

fog cutter

Adventurer
thanks. i struggling to figure out if i can get a RAM mount (or variation thereof) and a swivel in the same space. i understand there'll be concessions along the way, but i'm still at the planning stage and pencils have erasers!

david.lemke

Adventurer
ok here we go guys, as I promised, here is some pics of the van pedestal that I used.
these are from another conversion van that we striped on memorial day sale at the local yard.
the pedestal base and seat are labeled with "flexsteel" as this is the brand that has worked in both of the vans that I have built in the past

the first two pics show the top of the pedestal that was use as this is a two piece unit, which you will see on the other pics.
0817151842.jpg
0817151842a.jpg
this next pic shows where I ground a slot in the pedestal 180 degrees from the proper front to lock this unit in either direction
0817151839.jpg
the next two pics show the pedestal mounted to the floor in the position so it can still have arm rests on both sides but still able to rotate, with the seat back straight up position, to face the back and not have to worry about hitting your legs on the counsel of the dog house. basically it is mounted 2" to the left and 2" back from the original gm pedestal mounts.

note in the last pic the way it is able to be tilted to give quick access to remove the dog house to work on the engine, which you know you have to remove the seat to do this work......
0817151838.jpg
0817151840.jpg

the air bag srs sensors are used in the seat conversion with both seats
the drivers seat is mounted to the original seat pedestal, but the only thing I did was add a 2"x3"x1/8" box channel to each side of the seat to raise it up a little, I like sitting up high in the van,

the original seat track were thrown out and I used the track from the conversion seats
if going to do this conversion to the fronts use the second row of seats from the donor as the track in this row are wide enough to mount to the pedestals with a few holes to drill in the pedestals from the gm side of the seat frame

hope this helps, but let me know if you need more info

david.lemke

Adventurer
ok

for you guys running standard head light, H6054 style, get rid of the and spend a few buck on the truck-lite led head lights
not only are the cool but they are bright as heck, it is the best change I have made to date

they show about 40 feet further on low beams, crisp white and not that yellow like a Wagner or Sylvania bulb
then hit the brights........OMG........
you can see for days
I have my supplier that gets me a great price on these
0806151829.jpg

david.lemke

Adventurer
well......im unhappy with the 1" body lift
so it is time to search flea bay for a 2" body lift kit or pucks, and longer bolts from Fastenal

so I finished up my project of stretching a spare steering shaft to make the 2" body lift work
I couldn't find a aftermarket one for a 2wd 1500 express so heres the finished product
0819151941.jpg
so is there anyone interested in a set of aluminum 1" body lift pucks for a mild body lift??????????

Kilroy

Adventurer
Very interesting build. Thanks for posting. Why do you feel you need a higher body lift? Tires rubbing?

david.lemke

Adventurer
OK NOW THAT THE LIFT HAS BEEN COMPLETED FOR A SECOND TIME I AM IN NEED OF SOME FRONT AND REAR BUMPERS, AND FRONT BRUSH GUARD TO MOUNT FOG LIGHTS AND WINCH ACCESS ALSO, I HAVE THE LIGHTS, BUT NOW I NEED IDEAS OR SOMEONE PLEASE LIST A FEW PLACES TO CHECK OUT FOR BUMPERS AS I CANT SEEM TO FIND ANY GOOD PICS OR SITES THROUGH GOOGLE SEARCH

AM I BETTER OFF TO BUILD MY OWN???????

philos

Explorer
I'd go custom on the bumpers with a local fabricator, and that's what I'll be doing (if I don't make them myself) when the time comes.

david.lemke

Adventurer
Well, I got a little board today since we have 2 weeks until we go camping and no parts here for the trailer build that I am going to do, but to make a long story short I decided to black out the lower part of the rig
0913151145.jpg
0913151157.jpg
0913151435.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles