Damage coming off the truck

vintageracer

To Infinity and Beyond!
You would be surprised at the large number of vehicles that are damaged in transit, repaired at the dealer with the customer never knowing anything ever happened!

You ordered this vehicle and should be pleased that the selling dealer notified you of the damage. It would have been very easy for the dealer to repair the damage, call you to tell you your new Rover was ready and you would never know the difference! Don't be mad at the dealer for their honesty and make unrealistic repair or compensation demands due to the damage. They just might tell you to POUND SAND and sell it to someone else! After all the dealer still owns the vehicle not you!

Most new vehicles sold in the USA are not ordered for a specific customer. They are ordered for stock inventory. When you purchase a new from inventory stock vehicle it is very possible that vehicle was damaged in transit, repaired and YOU WILL NEVER KNOW IT!

Go ahead let the dealer properly repair the damage and git on with life!

Last edited:

vintageracer

To Infinity and Beyond!
If you refuse to buy it, they get stuck with a "damaged" "repaired" unit. That will depreciate it astronomically. New car dealers do not try to hide that damage.

Sorry that's BS!

New car dealers repair transit damage all the time and it does not "Astronomically Depreciate" the value of the vehicle. It makes no difference in the vehicle value as that new vehicle is repaired and then offered for sale. Transit damage and repair is an unfortunate part of the new & used car business. Most new car dealers do not disclose transport damage. That does not mean it's right it's just reality!

At the closed manufacturer dealers auction a front bumper/bumper cover repaint/repair is NOT considered paintwork. A vehicle with a repainted/replaced front or rear bumper cover and no other paintwork is still considered an "Original Paint No Paintwork" vehicle. Same thing at any of the national dealer only open car auctions.

That's the accepted practice in the dealer car world these days like it or not!

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 9101

This might come as a shock...but plenty of vehicles hit the body shop before they hit the sales floor. A vehicle beind damaged in transit isn't a rarity... It happens quite often.

quickfarms

Adventurer
In high school I used to work for a dealership and new cars often spent time in the body shop especially during the winter when the GM decided that the snowy and icy parking lot needed to be reorganized. Cars tend to slide sideways on the ice.

Then there was all of the spirited driving we did transferring cars from the storage lots to the dealership. We were really good at making the sports cars power slide

I have a friend that currently drives a car carrier and a friends dad who just retired and they have stories about vehicles that are really damaged during transport

A bumper replacement is rather miner on the damage list.

Get it fixed and take delivery

Todd n Natalie

OverCamper
Worked at a dealer as well and I was aware that sometimes cars got damaged in transit and were repaired.

In my opinion, that damage looks pretty minor. They of course should repair it and possibly a little something for the delay in your ability to take delivery?

If they haven't already, i'm surprised a Rover dealer wouldn't have offered you something right off the hop for the inconvenience.

Todd n Natalie

OverCamper
I will just say be sure the Carfax is clean before you accept delivery. the damage can be fixed,
A dirty Carfax will hang over the vehicle for all it's life.
If the dealer fixes it themselves, I don't think a claim would be made. So, I don't think it would show up on carfax.

Paddler Ed

Adventurer
Also, take care not to get the meesnger shot... The GM may not be too happy with you being told if they didn't tell you...

alanymarce

They seem to be open and honest - I would be the same. I would expect them to replace anything damaged (like the front lower bumper). No harm in asking whether they're willing to throw in a couple of free bits and pieces for the delay to do this, however I would accept that this can happen and be happy that they're working with you. If they have the bits (which I'm guessing are damaged often enough to be in stock somewhere) then it's not much work, so a week's delay is not a big deal.

Smoove

Also, take care not to get the meesnger shot... The GM may not be too happy with you being told if they didn't tell you...

this is my biggest fear. It’s also why I’m not posting further details. Little more extensive than front bumper. Nothing crazy, no frame damage, but few thousand in parts alone.

this is my biggest fear. It’s also why I’m not posting further details. Little more extensive than front bumper. Nothing crazy, no frame damage, but few thousand in parts alone.

Exactly; nobody really knows how much damage is really there so it's on you and you alone to decide that.

Best wishes and keep us posted!

quickfarms

Adventurer
If the parts are not readily available, need to be shipped from the UK, the dealership may chose to borrow parts from another unsold vehicle on the lot.

Smoove

Old parts need to go back to Land Rover in one to one exchange in these cases apparently. One component unable to be sourced at the moment.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles