Damage coming off the truck

Smoove

Sorry, cross posting to a couple forums....

Long time lurker, first time poster. Had not intended this to be my first post on the forum but got some very unfortunate news today from my dealer. My defender, ordered November last year, just arrived at the dealership yesterday/today, has unfortunately been damaged coming off the truck. Wanted to seek yalls advice on how you would proceed from here. They're sending it off to their body shop to be assessed and repaired. I don't know the severity of the damage, but "slight" per my sales rep. He's a nice guy so I'm not trying to throw anybody under the bus, but I'm at a loss for where I go from here. So freaking disappointed.
Crying or Very sad

I'm so damn annoyed I don't even know where to start. This was spec'ed exactly how I wanted it, there will not be another like it on the lot. Base model, p300, full off road set up, white steel wheels, 7 seats and panoramic sunroof, amongst a number of other little smaller details.

For anybody that says "you wanted to take it off road and it would have sustained worse damage under those conditions," please keep your opinions to yourself lol.

Appreciate any advice. defend.JPG

crazysccrmd

Observer
If that's all the damage it looks pretty easily repaired with a new lower bumper. I don't know how long it would take to get a replacement for a brand new vehicle but I'd hold out for that or whatever you deem an acceptable discount as compensation for a repaired part.

Carson G

That kind of "damage" ???? I'd sooner take cash than have it fixed..... guaranteed IF you are into what everyone on this site does.... it'll happen again.
That is not damage, that is trail rash. Get the cash and be happy.

But if you want it fixed,,, have at 'er, Or refuse to buy it and order another.... sounds like it might be a 2022 model by the time it arrives.

Me, I'd take the $$$$.

And YOU are in a great bargaining position. If you refuse to buy it, they get stuck with a "damaged" "repaired" unit. That will depreciate it astronomically. New car dealers do not try to hide that damage. So if you are a great negotiator..... tell them you want another ordered and are not willing to wait another year. Maybe they will offer to fix it PLUS discount it 20%. Only you can answer the question but definitely do not accept it without a big discount.
Ditto especially with Lucky 8 coming out with a winch bumper shortly.

That kind of "damage" ???? I'd sooner take cash than have it fixed..... guaranteed IF you are into what everyone on this site does.... it'll happen again.
That is not damage, that is trail rash. Get the cash and be happy.

But if you want it fixed,,, have at 'er, Or refuse to buy it and order another.... sounds like it might be a 2022 model by the time it arrives.

Me, I'd take the $$$$.

And YOU are in a great bargaining position. If you refuse to buy it, they get stuck with a "damaged" "repaired" unit. That will depreciate it astronomically. New car dealers do not try to hide that damage. So if you are a great negotiator..... tell them you want another ordered and are not willing to wait another year. Maybe they will offer to fix it PLUS discount it 20%. Only you can answer the question but definitely do not accept it without a big discount.

That's a great point actually; not that the "do not try to hide that damage" is they actually can't hide the damage by legal binding in the disclosure.

but yeah, the rest is on your decision on what and how you want to accept it! Don't think you would find any of us balking at you for driving it home like that with a Defender bumper pre-order cash in hand deposit for Lucky8.....hahaha

Smoove

I genuinely appreciate the replies and advice. Definitely hitting the trails and seeing the country with this thing. I for sure know it’s gonna get a lot more bruises and bumps along the way. Just disappointed is all. It got sent to the body shop before I was ever even notified about the damage. I guess I’m okay with that. ?. Anticipating some serious shenanigans from LR about how I should be thanking my lucky stars that I even get a chance to buy one of the most hotly anticipated cars this year! Lol I’ll keep y’all posted how it goes.

Thanks again

nwoods

Expedition Leader
Dial down the anxiety, get more info about the damage, determine if it jeapordizes yiur plans for the vehicle, or if a planned mod such as steel bumpers would resolve the issue anyway. If there is any dealer provided option like floor mats or roof rack that you want, perhaps negotiate on this. Remember, there is a wait list, so the Dealer is in no danger of not selling for a profit, so don’t be greedy, they might just cancel the sale on you.

Also, and this needs to be said: Don’t ask a group of people who use their rigs offroad what to do, and then discredit anyone’s opinion who might compare it to using it offroad. That’s pretty disrespectful.

“Advice is what we ask for when we already know the answer but wish we didn't."
-- Erica Jong,
American writer

soflorovers

Definitely mean no disrespect. If it’s going to get damaged I want to be the one to do it. Not excited about buying a pre-damaged $60k dollar car.
That's completely fair, and frankly....exactly how most of us would view this.

That said, each state has different laws Re: disclosure of damage. I'd run a CarFax before taking delivery to ensure that it won't have a dirty CarFax after the repair. If it does, then either 1) walk away or 2) demand a heavy discount. Call the bluff... if the damage is as severe as it looks in terms of $$$ figure to replace the entire lower bumper cover (with labor), then this may pass the $ amount required by your state to make this disclosable damage (FL is 3% of MSRP or $650 of damage - whichever is lower. By FL standards, this would likely qualify as a mandatory disclosure). There may be a "waiting period" for New Defenders, but no dealer wants to be stuck with a custom order wearing a scarlet letter. Also, I know plenty of dealers offering deals at MSRP. I'm sure you could order a new one today and it would be here by December if this bothers you to the extent that you're gonna walk away.

OregonGX

That's completely fair, and frankly....exactly how most of us would view this.

That said, each state has different laws Re: disclosure of damage. I'd run a CarFax before taking delivery to ensure that it won't have a dirty CarFax after the repair. If it does, then either 1) walk away or 2) demand a heavy discount. Call the bluff... if the damage is as severe as it looks in terms of $$$ figure to replace the entire lower bumper cover (with labor), then this may pass the $ amount required by your state to make this disclosable damage (FL is 3% of MSRP or $650 of damage - whichever is lower. By FL standards, this would likely qualify as a mandatory disclosure). There may be a "waiting period" for New Defenders, but no dealer wants to be stuck with a custom order wearing a scarlet letter. Also, I know plenty of dealers offering deals at MSRP. I'm sure you could order a new one today and it would be here by December if this bothers you to the extent that you're gonna walk away.

Great points made regarding the CarFax and the record. If you can get it repaired correctly, and if you are comfortable taking delivery, and if you plan on keeping it for a while I would go for things that don't cost the dealer anything out of pocket today but save you a bunch in the long run. Lifetime oil changes, extended warranties, free car wash/detailing.

TexasTJ

Climbing Nerd
I would have them fix it and then take delivery. At the end of the day its the truck you wanted and while it sux that it got damaged on delivery you might be more disappointed buy not getting the truck you wanted. I learned this lesson the hard way and while I can live with it, I get jealous every time I see a convertible 4x4.

Last edited:
Walk into the parts guy and ask him for a quote on all the parts that are damaged; you can do this at any dealer and I'd bet you are going to get the "we can't get those parts yet" comment; oh, and then there is the paint, labor, etc.!

Hate to say it but that is thousands of dollars worth of damage if you drove it off the lot and brought it back into the dealer to have it fixed when you are the one that does that damage. There is not a dealer in site going to give you a repair quote under a few thousand if you did that damage yourself so keep that in mind; when you feel comfortable then you make that decision and don't let anyone else tell you differently.

Don't feel bad asking for the "reasonable" ceiling on anything related to stealership; loyalty and customer service are two-way streets IMO.

A.J.M

Explorer
The first and most important thing is to be calm with them.

yes it’s not a nice situation but the dealership is trying to put it right, these things can happen.
If you reject the car, you won’t see another till next year, they can’t build the things fast enough to keep up with demand. Some markets have sold out of their yearly allocated amount for some models.

I would personally take the car, when it’s fixed. Be very fussy with it and make sure it’s right. But it’s effectively a straight swap for a bumper.
But I would be asking for something, be it accessories or service package or something.

As for the rubbish about 20% off for a bumper. Away and behave with that rubbish.

Paddler Ed

Adventurer
Based on a relatives experience with an RRS that needed parts not long after launch, don't hold your breath on getting anything this side of Christmas.... and that was in the UK during "normal" times....

However, my comments is be thankful that the dealer 'fessed up to the damage instead of holding out on you whilst they (try to) get parts in for it.

Be realistic in your requests, and whilst it's a pain the proverbial, and it's a brand new car, don't forget that no one set out to deliberately do it. As others have said, flaps and mats, and possibly see what they'll do with a service package deal for say the 1st 12 months.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ritabooke