Mercedes 1222A.. The beginning!

Sitec

Adventurer
No luck on the video, so it's on with the strip down! Today was a busy day. The morning was spent helping a mate but the afternoon was spent in the workshop pulling everything off ready for the body lift tomorrow. If there's anything I've forgotten now, it'll have to happen later!! :)

Stripdown 2.jpg

The air con unit is also now no longer attached to the truck!

Sitec

Adventurer
Hi Simon, on mine I have the ones that are orange and red depending on what direction you look at them, those are what the QLD required. I have the Hella LEDs ( Bottom right just above the air tank.

unimog-photos-7039-jpg.613128

Hi Ian.

I looked at those, and nearly went with them, but was assured that I only need orange side markers here in SA. Worst case I can pull the ones I have ordered out and the ones you have will sit over and cover the hole left quite well. :)

Sitec

Adventurer
With everything stripped off the chassis, it is time to get the hab box back off the chassis. This was made harder with the 5 point system now hanging below the base of the hab box... I had to jack the hab box up so it would all clear. I also have two sliders tacked to the ledge in the workshop, and two smaller ones under the rigging blocks on the hab box. Ratchet straps are ready to pull the hab box across the sliders off the chassis.

Body mods 70.jpg

Here's the view of all the blocks and rigging holding it all up!

Scratch that... I keep getting a 'security message' every time I try to upload pics. Anyone else having this problem?

Madoxen

That split level workshop seems to be pretty handy, in the begining i wondered if it would be a pain or not, but im almost a convert.
Did it all go as smoothly as u nad hoped ?

Sitec

Adventurer
That split level workshop seems to be pretty handy, in the begining i wondered if it would be a pain or not, but im almost a convert.
Did it all go as smoothly as u nad hoped ?

Sure did! The Hab Box is now blocked securely, and the sliders removed and stowed until the last refit hopefully in 4 to 6 months time. Happy days.

Iain_U1250

Explorer
Love the split level idea, I made up some legs for my camper box, raising it onto the trick was always scary. I had a little forklift to lift the rear, and used hi lift jacks for the front.

Unimog Photos-04171-2.jpg

Sitec

Adventurer
Another busy day today. With the truck out of the workshop, I started the not so exciting job of cleaning the chassis and seeing what needs attention before servicing and painting it...

Progress 10.jpg

I've found a few things... Front prop uni joint cups are missing their dust seals.. The bits that are there are all brittle so I'm guessing the joint is knackered, front steering drag link ball joint covers cracked or missing, injector leak off lines wet and allowing air in, rear brake air cylinder gaters cracked and missing etc etc. There's a few things to be done. No rush though, as there's a ton of work to do on the Hab Box!

Progress 11.jpg

Madoxen

did you ever yave any joy finding the other snorkle, make me laugh but i seem to keep an eye out everytime im near a scrap yard or see a wreck come up.

Sitec

Adventurer
did you ever yave any joy finding the other snorkle, make me laugh but i seem to keep an eye out everytime im near a scrap yard or see a wreck come up.

Not yet... They really are rare as I've only seen the LH snorkels. Can always be added later if I find one... :)

VerMonsterRV

Gotta Be Nuts
When we were in NZ with the sailboat we ran into some great craftsman in the boating industry. If I was there I would go to Whangarei and try and track down Steve Ikler (not sure of the last name spelling, but ask at Norsand Boatyard and they will know). He would be able to mold you a very flash one out of fiberglass, heck I would shoot for clear coated carbon fiber! And if you had an LN2 I would say ask him to make 2 and mail me the second :).

Sitec

Adventurer
So, as Jon is always posting pics of where they have been in their truck, I thought I'd share a few. Although not in our truck, we have just had a long weekend in The Flinders Ranges. The recent rains have made a place that's dry and brown very green for the first time in years. We love it up there, and it'll almost certainly be the test site for the trucks maiden voyage. But until then, we had to make do with the Amarok, camp boxes and swags!

Flinders 2020 2.jpg

Flinders 2020 9.jpg

Saturday was spent doing an off road tour... in a dust storm. There was little we could do staying in the camp, so we had a look around a neighbouring station.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles