7.3 question

jgallo1

Adventurer
Here we are,
So far all good. I think I might need to do the fuel injectors though.
I will start a build page for the truck, once I get it going.

Here is what I have ordered so far:

OME suspension kit 2" of lift and maintains factory rake.
New steering stabilizer.
New 17" wheels. I just don't love the American outlaw wheels
Warn hubs
I think I am going to go with 285/75/17 tire
Some fat mat for the hood and the doors, hopefully, quiet her down abit.
also going to do some preventative engine maintenance.

ford f250.jpg

F350joe

Here we are,

New steering stabilizer.
Warn hubs

View attachment 613239
Gauges are key if it doesn't have them already. These are cool too because it monitors everything and you can set ranges with an alarm. It reads/clears codes and does an injector buzz test and cylinder contribution test. https://www.aeroforcetech.com/products_order_ford.html. Google “ fuel tank harpoon” it may be worth it for the extra range and to clean the filters in the tank. Valve cover injector harness is also a biggie, they go at around 200k. Always start with electrical, never let anyone sell you a part until the electrical throughly checked out.

jgallo1

Adventurer
Gauges are key if it doesn't have them already. These are cool too because it monitors everything and you can set ranges with an alarm. It reads/clears codes and does an injector buzz test and cylinder contribution test. https://www.aeroforcetech.com/products_order_ford.html. Google “ fuel tank harpoon” it may be worth it for the extra range and to clean the filters in the tank. Valve cover injector harness is also a biggie, they go at around 200k. Always start with electrical, never let anyone sell you a part until the electrical throughly checked out.
thank you for the info.

UHAULER

Explorer
I had an 02 f350 7.3 supercab,shortbed. Bought it in 2010 with 90k miles. It had a slight drip from the torque converter cover and the oil pan. I thought it was the rear main seal, but it turned out to be the drain valve on the fuel bowl. Fuel was running to the back and running down the block.
Yeah, those wheels look old school, so do the steps.

The transmission on the 7.3L is the weak link. If you ever need to have the transmission sorted I highly recommend John Woods transmissions. These things are great! They are not the cheapest transmissions available but just remember: "Cheap ******** is still ********."

John will spend all the time in the world talking to you about transmissions. http://jwtt.com/

Scotty

andy_b

Here we are,

New steering stabilizer.
Warn hubs

That is a nice looking truck. As others have said, there are practical limitations to older trucks and their oldness. As long as you’re willing to deal with that, I think these old Super Duties are great.
I have a 2000 7.3 with 220k miles that is perfect (for me, anyway). The issue of old parts is kind of annoying but manageable. My biggest frustration of older trucks is their lack of refinement when compared to newer trucks. When you take into account the amount of road travel required, spending extra time in an old, loud truck can get annoying.

Anyhow, looking at your list, I’d recommend considering 18s - you’ll likely have better tire size support in the future. I also would recommend considering different shocks - I have Fox 2.0 with external reservoirs. They have probably been the best value mod I’ve done to the truck. The suspension has only been leveled, otherwise.

a

Chorky

Observer
Here we are,

Alliant power makes some good options. 160's are a decent compromise in power/reliability.

Also check into BD performance trans. I had mine replaced a couple years ago at 250K before it fully died, and have been happy with the replacement. Stiffer shifting, but much stronger components. Match it up with an exhaust brake and TQ lockup override and you'll be pretty happy

DirtWhiskey

Western Dirt Rat
It has been a LONG time since 20 year old 7.3 F250 pickups were worth any $10K- that's about twice what they're worth.

Used vehicle owners can ASK whatever price they want, but if they're listing something like that with a $10K asking price, they're either not really trying to sell it, or they're looking for a sucker to rip off...

The market decides what something is worth. Not some dude on a forum. If you can find a non hammered 7.3 for less that 8k send me the link and I'll buy it now. Out here in Utah they are really hard to find.

justbecause

perpetually lost
I would buy a 4 door 4x4 7.3 with less than 200k for 10k if I saw one. They are regularly listed for 20 around here. Would they take 10? Maybe but I'm not going to talk to a dozen crazy people to find the one guy who actually wants to sell a truck.

D

Deleted member 9101

My biggest frustration of older trucks is their lack of refinement when compared to newer trucks. When you take into account the amount of road travel required, spending extra time in an old, loud truck can get annoying.

Nailed it!! When I was truck shopping in 2017 I briefly (for like 30 seconds) flirted with the idea of getting another older diesel and playing with it (Had a F350 with the 7.3 years ago). Then I remembered how much is sucked driving cross country in a loud, uncomfortable, and smelly truck...lol.

MTVR

The market decides what something is worth. Not some dude on a forum. If you can find a non hammered 7.3 for less that 8k send me the link and I'll buy it now. Out here in Utah they are really hard to find.

I never claimed to decide what it was worth- I booked it, to find out what it's actual value is.

Book prices are based upon actual vehicle sales prices, not pie-in-the-sky wishful thinking Craigslist asking prices.

Asking prices have zero connection to actual vehicle value, and they also have zero connection to what they are actually selling for.

You are free to pay as much money as you want, above and beyond what a vehicle is actually worth.

Last edited:

IdaSHO

IDACAMPER
I never claimed to decide what it was worth- I booked it, to find out what it's actual value is.

Book prices are based upon actual vehicle sales prices, not pie-in-the-sky wishful thinking Craigslist asking prices.

Asking prices have zero connection to actual vehicle value, and they also have zero connection to what they are actually selling for.

You are free to pay as much money as you want, above and beyond what a vehicle is actually worth.

Book value is book value.

Market value IS actual value.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles