Tire Talk: Load Range vs Load Index

redthies

Renaissance Redneck
Ok, so I’m a bit of a tire snob/nerd. I believe in have the right tools for the job, and tires are key. BUT, I find myself in a new situation. I bought an ‘05 3500 Cummins with longbox to carry my 2700 lb Northern Lite. I’m likely around 3300 lbs loaded for travel. The truck came with 35-12.50-17 Toyo MTs, which are in need of replacement. I like these tires for a lot of reasons, and have run them before. I would like to test the waters of some slightly less aggressive and possibly quieter tires.

The dilemma is that all of these new tires come in at 3195 lbs each (121Q). My current Tokyo’s are 124Q or 3560 per tire. I like that extra capacity. I’m looking at Firestone Destination MT2s. My friend runs them on his fleet of pipeline trucks (all are Cummins trucks) and they get beat on hard and run 99% off highway building snowmaking pipelines on ski hills. Lots of very heavy loads and blast rock etc. He swears by them. I can get back to the 124Q /3560 rating by going to a 37-12.50, which I don’t mind doing, but it means going from a load range E to a D. Given that the whole 8 ply vs 10 ply thing is a load (sorry) of crap since all tires are now 1,2 or 3 ply due to far stronger materials, what would you do?

The only thing keeping me from going Toyo again is the “tax” they put on them and a bit of desire to try something different and possibly quieter. They are at least $150 per tire more than the Firestones.

jadmt

ignore button user
if you have a point S tire dealer in your area they are doing a buy 3 get one free on Toyos for the next month or so.

redthies

Renaissance Redneck
I’ve never heard of Point S, so I’m going to guess they aren’t local to me. That’s a good deal though.

Regcabguy

Oil eater.
With that camper and truck 18's and some Method NV HD rims would be ideal. Nitto offers load range F.
You're going to feels squirm with 17's. My buddy has an '05 2500 with beefed suspension,King 2.5's swaybars,airbags etc. AEV rims with Toyo 35-12.50-17's MT's and hates them when carrying his Lance 825. They're gone dogs when they wear some more. Buy more truck and tires with a hardsided camper.

Darwin

Explorer
I fail to see how the Firestones would be any much quieter than the Toyo's and the Toyo MT is one of the toughest tires out there. I had good luck with the Cooper ST Maxx in the 295/18 variaty carrying a hard side camper. I got 50K out of them. I think you are going to want a tire with a stiff sidewall regardless of what you end up. The General X3's "look" quite, but I have no experience with them.

redthies

Renaissance Redneck
With that camper and truck 18's and some Method NV HD rims would be ideal. Nitto offers load range F.
You're going to feels squirm with 17's. My buddy has an '05 2500 with beefed suspension,King 2.5's swaybars,airbags etc. AEV rims with Toyo 35-12.50-17's MT's and hates them when carrying his Lance 825. They're gone dogs when they wear some more. Buy more truck and tires with a hardsided camper.

Dave, you know I know tires and campers. I would never spend my money on Method wheels, or for that matter Nitto tires or anything F rated. That is WAY overkill. The whole point is to NOT spend $2000 on wheels and then shop for tires. I’m currently running the Toyos in 35x12.50-17s and have zero “squirm”. I also had zero “squirm” with my ST Maxxs. Tell your friend who hates the Toyos to send them my way...

I fail to see how the Firestones would be any much quieter than the Toyo's and the Toyo MT is one of the toughest tires out there. I had good luck with the Cooper ST Maxx in the 295/18 variaty carrying a hard side camper. I got 50K out of them. I think you are going to want a tire with a stiff sidewall regardless of what you end up. The General X3's "look" quite, but I have no experience with them.

I’m only going by anecdotal accounts, but the reviews are all saying the Firestone’s are much quieter than most MTs. I loved my ST Maxxs and have them on my ‘20 Tacoma, but I’m looking to try something new. I think I will end up sticking with the Toyos. I just wanted some feedback on the different load rating question.

montypower

Adventure Time!
I've been running load D 37x12.5R17 on the Super Duty - rated over 3,500 lbs. Don't have any strange handling issues. Run them at 50psi with the camper. Load range letter and ply count are old terms. Weight rating is more relevant.

It seems the load rating has to due with ability to run higher PSI. But I'd rather have lower PSI with equal or similar load carrying ability. Anyhow. They work great on my truck. Running Method 701 wheels 17x8.5"

Regcabguy

Oil eater.
I've been running load D 37x12.5R17 on the Super Duty - rated over 3,500 lbs. Don't have any strange handling issues. Run them at 50psi with the camper. Load range letter and ply count are old terms. Weight rating is more relevant.

It seems the load rating has to due with ability to run higher PSI. But I'd rather have lower PSI with equal or similar load carrying ability. Anyhow. They work great on my truck. Running Method 701 wheels 17x8.5"
Sorry,50 psi sidewalls don't say much for sidewall integrity. My buddy went through many sets of 315-70-17 BFG D rated tires. He airs them down for 150-200 miles straight at 30# in the pnw of Baja. Complete sidewall collapse and tread separation. He's running Toyos now. E rated. No issues since. He's got a '05 qclb with a utility bed with a Callen steel framed half cabover shell. Pretty heavy truck. I'll err on the side of too much tire.

Regcabguy

Oil eater.
Dave, you know I know tires and campers. I would never spend my money on Method wheels, or for that matter Nitto tires or anything F rated. That is WAY overkill. The whole point is to NOT spend $2000 on wheels and then shop for tires. I’m currently running the Toyos in 35x12.50-17s and have zero “squirm”. I also had zero “squirm” with my ST Maxxs. Tell your friend who hates the Toyos to send them my way...

I’m only going by anecdotal accounts, but the reviews are all saying the Firestone’s are much quieter than most MTs. I loved my ST Maxxs and have them on my ‘20 Tacoma, but I’m looking to try something new. I think I will end up sticking with the Toyos. I just wanted some feedback on the different load rating question.
I can only go by his impressions. The 35"MT's are rated at 3500# approximately and he's got Kings and a Hellwig Big Wig. The NV HD 305's are under 1200$ here on sale. The ST Maxx's are way over priced here and the noise once they wear would be intolerable.

sourdoughben

My Method NV/HD and Nitto Ridge Grapplers 305x65r18 "F" have 55,000 on them and look good for another 10 before I replace the tire. I did a dually conversion on my 11,200 lb. Tiger/Ram3500 diesel 4x4 and could not be happier with these wheels and tires. Never had an issue aired down or running @ 80MPH. I have never had a good Firestone tire.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norcalmaier