Truck Bed Size?

Jack90

The classic debate :). Should we go with a 6.4 ft truck bed or an 8 ft truck bed for our family of four when picking the pop-up truck camper.

Me
I like the idea that the 6.4 ft truck bed will give us the nimbleness we are looking for when off-roading. We are overlanding in Colorado and Moab. All our camping is remote as possible.

Wife
Loves the idea of the 8 ft truck bed for more living space. We are concerned that the extra wheelbase will have us dragging and our truck belly getting stuck on the rockier obstacles.

The truck will be a
Dodge 3500
Thuren Suspension which includes - King 2.5" kit includes front coils, front track bar, and front and rear King 2.5" remote reservoir shocks
37 inch tires – Nitto Ridge Graplers – Load E

I know we won't be doing crazy obstacles when off-roading with this rig.

So what do you think? 6.4ft bed or 8ft bed? Note: I am trying to stay away from the campers that hang off the back.

Regcabguy

Oil eater.
QCLB 3500. It'll enable a flush camper back and handle the weight fine. Most of the weight will be in front of the rear axle.
Should you decide in the future to get a hard sided camper you'll have the capacity.
Consult with Thuren about your plans to get the popup. The Northstar's and others are 2200# wet. I found the front coils to be too soft even with stiffer valving from Don. Get a Hellwig Swaybar and 18" tires for added load capacity.

jadmt

ignore button user
A crew cab with 8’ box is long. . Might need to run 40's..I just bought a new Power Wagon and its turning radius is big enough I would hate to have it any bigger. lots of cool dirt roads that have limited turn arounds so that extra length can be a pain. If not worried about that then an 8' foot box does give more camper choices.

Jack90

I just bought a new Power Wagon and its turning radius is big enough I would hate to have it any bigger. lots of cool dirt roads that have limited turn arounds so that extra length can be a pain.
>>Thank you, I was worried about the extra length turning around, too.

Roger M.

Adventurer
Also take note that, depending on exactly what camper/canopy package you eventually choose, going with an 8' box drastically reduces your number of choices in terms of manufacturers ... as most (but not all) manufacturers don't make anything for an 8' box.

There are lots of promises from manufacturers that an 8' box product is "on the horizon" ... but for those of us who actually own trucks with an 8' box, such promises are routinely proven to be hollow.

Best thing to do is pick your camper/canopy, and then make sure it's available in an 8' product.

rruff

Explorer
Wife
Loves the idea of the 8 ft truck bed for more living space. We are concerned that the extra wheelbase will have us dragging and our truck belly getting stuck on the rockier obstacles.

Since you have a lift and 37s I wouldn't worry too much. A camping rig is always a compromise. If you want your wife to be happy, then it's good to accommodate whatever she thinks she needs.

Sure you'll be a bit more likely to drag and the turning radius will be a little more, but it isn't hugely different. You'll still be able to camp in amazing places and not see another human if that's what you want.

David_h

I agree; no overhang is better. My first rig was Hawk on 5.5' bed and it was less than desirable. My current rig is Hawk on 6.5' bed and I use the bumper step to step up so no need to carry extra steps. I use a SuperCab and Hawk because I wanted the shortest possible wheelbase. It is at 142 inches and my truck has seatbelts for six persons and the Hawk has everything that is found in a Grandby except for floor space. However we are only in the camper either when it is raining or when we are sleeping. With a family of four you will likely want/need more room. Is a Grandby even enough? Maybe kids can go into a large tent set up just next to camper. When my kids were little, the small space was doable however when they became bigger it was a little awkward. That was short lived though because a little bigger still and they don't want to go out as much and are on their own. I guess go with what makes the wife happy and make adjustments latter.

alanymarce

Maybe I missed it in OP's post - however I think the key question is "How much space do you really need?" and this depends in my view on how long you'll be living in the vehicle. If it's for trips of several months then I can see value in more space, however if it's trips of a week or two then I see little value in adding more weight, overhang, for a few more cubic feet. Lots of good points made by others, so no reason to recycle them. I would go for the "smaller is better" approach.

smlobx

Wanderer
Another thing to consider is that in most trucks (not sure about the Ram) with the 8 ft. bed you get a larger fuel tank and that translates to longer range. The range came in handy on our recent trip to AK...

Jack90

Sorry for the delay. I ended up going with a Ram 3500 with a 6.4' bed and then a 8ft hallmark slide in camper. I talked with hallmark a lot and they said no problem at all having the camper overhang off the back. So I am hoping this will give the best of both worlds. The truck has been bought and camper delivery should be in next two weeks. Super excited!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles