Will I Fit into any Midsized Trucks? Tall People Problems...

85_Ranger4x4

I am 6'-3" with a 34" inseam, the Gladiator and Ranger would be my picks for a midsize. Legroom will be limited behind me.

Never driven/rode in either but I have played with both at autoshows.

FWIW I just drove 1000 miles in my standard cab '85 Ranger to Indiana and back last weekend and I was fine. ?

86scotty

Cynic
Funny no one has mentioned the solution yet, which is a Tundra. You sit in the seat like a chair, not a recliner with your long legs folded up straight out in front of you. I'm 6'2" 200# and this is huge for me. I never can believe some of the people I see unfolding themselves out of a Tacoma.

I have no experience with modern F150's or GM mid size but GM full size still have the low seat problem.

Oddly enough, the other modern truckish overlandy vehicle that I found wonderful for my long legs was a Jeep JKU, but I sold it for other shortcomings, mainly lack of space in general.

phsycle

Adventurer
It sure seems like the mid size truck offerings have a ways to go still.

I don’t think midsize has “a ways to go” in terms of space. They’re plenty big for what they are. Some argue, maybe too big. Toyota started the midsize-size war with the intro of the “bloated” 2005 Tacoma. Probably to gain an edge over the Ranger, which was the only midsize beating it in sales.

I hope they don’t keep growing the midsize. It’s big enough/too big already.

Amxguy1970

I don’t think midsize has “a ways to go” in terms of space. They’re plenty big for what they are. Some argue, maybe too big. Toyota started the midsize-size war with the intro of the “bloated” 2005 Tacoma. Probably to gain an edge over the Ranger, which was the only midsize beating it in sales.

I hope they don’t keep growing the midsize. It’s big enough/too big already.

I agree the size has reached the "we're good" size. I can fit four adults fairly comfortably in a mid size for a good period of time, carry kids in car seats, get down trails and parking easier as well as tow a 24ft 7k boat and haul a pallet in the bed to around 1500+ pounds.

If you look at the specs of the current Canyon versus a late 90's Silverado they are extremely close in size especially in particular trims. The full size trucks have grown a good amount lately. The mid size trucks are 90% of the size of the current full size trucks (232" LOA vs 210" in a CCSB) and prices are 80% of the full sizers (Ranger XLT CC 4wd starts at $35.3k and the same F150 XLT 4wd CC short bed starts at $43.7k and the Canyon/Sierra SLT the gap is even larger at 40k versus 51k base price same trim levels) you can load up a Ranger to about 50k where an F150 can get to about $70k which is an even larger price gap of 71%. Even with discounts the smaller truck isn't the same price as the full sizers though they do lack some features. They can hold tight right there on size and prices. For what it is worth a '98 Silverado Extended Cab Short/Regular bed had an LOA of 218" and 76.8" width where a mid size truck is 74.8" and a current full size is 81.2", a CCLB Canyon is longer than the '98 full size at 224".

Tyler

86scotty

Cynic
Subject of the thread is asking for mid-size options and the OP mentions wanting a smaller truck for the trails they run, Tundra is a full-size truck. Not sure how that's the solution...

I know what the subject of the thread is and I still provided the correct answer. The OP is complaining of being too big for the mid sized ones and he is right. I am also right. :)

By the time you read this the Tundra will be a mid size truck and there will be a bigger, fatter, more obnoxious one they will call full size. It will likely tow 30,000 (because that's 'needed') and have about 40 cup holders. It will run on crude oil at 2 gallons per mile and seat 8 -9 large Southern boyz.

Last edited:

phsycle

Adventurer
I know what the subject of the thread is and I still provided the correct answer. The OP is complaining of being too big for the mid sized ones and he is right. I am also right. :)

By the time you read this the Tundra will be a mid size truck and there will be a bigger, fatter, more obnoxious one they will call full size. It will likely tow 30,000 (because that's 'needed') and have about 40 cup holders. It will run on crude oil at 2 gallons per mile and seat 8 -9 large Southern boyz.

Why is the Tundra the right answer here? Not sure I get it.

There are obviously midsize trucks that fit tall people, which is what the OP said he’s specifically looking for. So the he has choices.
He also said he frequents mining shelf roads in Colorado. Not a “full-size” friendly place.
Other than a bigger cab, what advantage(s) does the Tundra offer?

86scotty

Cynic
Well, because I own one.

Also, I have yet to find a place in Colorado mine won’t go.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

phsycle

Adventurer
Well, because I own one.

Also, I have yet to find a place in Colorado mine won’t go.

You done Black Bear? I’ve seen videos of F150’s going down it. I didn’t want anything bigger than the Tacoma. Few other places around the Loop where I’d rather want to be in a smaller rig as well.

86scotty

Cynic
I haven’t but I haven’t tried. Everything I’ve tried it has done, stock suspension and wheels, slowly and carefully.

I’m not trying to win a pissing match here. I think the OP will probably be challenged to fit in a modern mid size but like every other truck they get bigger every year.

My idea of checking out a Tundra is because that’s what worked for me in the end. I don’t want bigger or smaller.

I hope he finds what works for him.

phsycle

Adventurer
Frontier?

I don’t know what it is with Nissan but I can’t get warmed up to any of their offerings. They make nice trucks. I loved the concept of the Xterra’s and liked they offered manual transmissions in the newest generations. I don’t know if it’s their styling, awkward interiors, or combination of various factors, but I have never been lured by any of their trucks.

Now, if they bring over the Patrol..........

86scotty

Cynic
I couldn’t agree more. We rented an Xterra for a few days when our van broke down on a trip years ago. It allowed us to get way further off road than we had planned but still, I just couldn’t get into that truck.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles