Will I Fit into any Midsized Trucks? Tall People Problems...

COCOtoyo

Hello,

I am 6'4" and getting very frustrated about my vehicle search.

I currently have 4runner but desperately want to get a truck for a small pop up camper, as I find them super versatile and need something relatively small as I live in CO and actually do wheel a lot on small mining roads in the mountains.

I sat in a tacoma and ranger yesterday. Did not come close to fitting in either.

Are there any good off road trucks that I am missing? Really frustrated that I cant find something I am comfortable in.

Thanks

DRAX

I’m 6’1” (wear 36” inseam) and 215LB, love my 2017 GMC Canyon. No problems with anything, never bump the switches on the dash with my knee (still can’t figure out how people are doing that). I’ve put 53k on it so far with many 12+ hour driving days and I was plenty comfortable.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Regcabguy

Oil eater.
I’m 6’1” (wear 36” inseam) and 215LB, love my 2017 GMC Canyon. No problems with anything, never bump the switches on the dash with my knee (still can’t figure out how people are doing that). I’ve put 53k on it so far with many 12+ hour driving days and I was plenty comfortable.

You're 3" shorter. I'm 6'4" same as the OP and it's no dice. All the vehicles now have steeper rakes windshields translating into shorter door openings. Even if you get a mid sized truck the typical popup has maybe 6'4" headroom. If your bald it might work. The FWC's might be an exception if you have 15 grand to spare. Maybe a 1500 would be the way to go.

DRAX

You're 3" shorter. I'm 6'4" same as the OP and it's no dice. All the vehicles now have steeper rakes windshields translating into shorter door openings. Even if you get a mid sized truck the typical popup has maybe 6'4" headroom. If your bald it might work. The FWC's might be an exception if you have 15 grand to spare. Maybe a 1500 would be the way to go.

I included my inseam for a reason, being 6'4" tall doesn't mean everyone that's 6'4" will have the same proportions. Some are longer in the legs and some are longer in the torso, there are people 6'4" with a 32" inseam (short legs), there are some with a 40" inseam (long legs).

So thanks for pointing out the obvious that I'm 3" shorter, but you missed the point. The OP didn't say if they are having headroom or legroom problems. I have long legs and have no problems with my Canyon. You have problems with headroom, not everyone that's 6'4" will have that problem.

ChasingOurTrunks

I've had the same experience as @DRAX in my canyon (6'1 and change, here). I recognize that's a ways off 6'4", but while I don't fit in a Tacoma, I fit in the Canyon with room to spare with an Akubra on, so that adds a few inches to the top of my head. Like Verkstad, I bump my leg occasionally -- much of that has to do with seat positioning though, as the same thing happens on my full size which is much more roomy. Plus, the Canyon seat goes really low and quite far back, so there's plenty of room for adjustment beyond what I use and I have no question at all about headroom for someone a bit taller than me. And as you probably know, the Canyon interior will be the same as the Colorado, even the ZR2 (more or less, depending on options), so there are quite a few configurations of that platform you can choose from. However, the ZR2 has a few hundred lbs less payload, which brings me to my next observation.

These trucks are great, but they max payload at around 1500 lbs, while many slide-in campers that are marketed and sold as "for mid-size trucks" use up 90%+ of that capacity as their dry weight (there is a recent thread on this forum about that very issue). That means by the time you add yourself, some passengers, and some gear, you have well outstripped the intended capacity of the truck. This may not at all matter to you, and most people don't give it much mind, but it's worth mentioning. The more minimalist canopy campers tend to be more appropriate for these trucks -- Alucab, GFC, Vagabond, etc. -- than the traditional slide ins like FWC, Lance, etc. with lots of bells and whistles. If you wanted a larger slide-in camper, look to the full-size realm as @Jnich77 has suggested, and even then you may still run up on payload issues and need to go HD depending on what camper you want. If your priority is off-road nimbleness, just be aware that will limit your camper options much more than the marketing materials will acknowledge.

Anyway, that's three votes for a GMC product as the interior is really well done for this class in terms of fitting taller folks. I'd say it's worth trying one out to see. I have had very good experiences with my GM products and all have been fairly reliable -- they aren't the best, but they are far from the worst in terms of reliability. I absolutely love my Canyon for the comfort, power, and off-road capability (I'm rapidly warming up to the auto-locker...it just sorta works when it needs to -- and this thing is like a mountain goat off-road, very nimble and plucky) and recommend them whole heartedly.

Edit to add: I unfairly lumped FWC in as not really having any campers for midsize trucks, but they are working on "Project M" which is quite suitable for these rigs. https://fourwheelcampers.com/model/project-m/

Last edited:

COCOtoyo

Of I was the OP, I'd just skip the discomfort and get a full size. It will be about the same cost as a mid sized with about the same fuel economy....all while being more capable.
I guess a single cab full size wouldn't be too much worse in terms of maneuverability.

The F150 regular bed looks like it could fit the bill - but it seems like the after market for bumpers and armor is limited. I dont get why those front bumpers hang down so low.

I'll take a closer look at the GM trucks too. Thanks everyone for the responses. It sure seems like the mid size truck offerings have a ways to go still.

COCOtoyo

I've had the same experience as @DRAX in my canyon (6'1 and change, here). I recognize that's a ways off 6'4", but while I don't fit in a Tacoma, I fit in the Canyon with room to spare with an Akubra on, so that adds a few inches to the top of my head. Like Verkstad, I bump my leg occasionally -- much of that has to do with seat positioning though, as the same thing happens on my full size which is much more roomy. Plus, the Canyon seat goes really low and quite far back, so there's plenty of room for adjustment beyond what I use and I have no question at all about headroom for someone a bit taller than me. And as you probably know, the Canyon interior will be the same as the Colorado, even the ZR2 (more or less, depending on options), so there are quite a few configurations of that platform you can choose from. However, the ZR2 has a few hundred lbs less payload, which brings me to my next observation.

These trucks are great, but they max payload at around 1500 lbs, while many slide-in campers that are marketed and sold as "for mid-size trucks" use up 90%+ of that capacity as their dry weight (there is a recent thread on this forum about that very issue). That means by the time you add yourself, some passengers, and some gear, you have well outstripped the intended capacity of the truck. This may not at all matter to you, and most people don't give it much mind, but it's worth mentioning. The more minimalist canopy campers tend to be more appropriate for these trucks -- Alucab, GFC, Vagabond, etc. -- than the traditional slide ins like FWC, Lance, etc. with lots of bells and whistles. If you wanted a larger slide-in camper, look to the full-size realm as @Jnich77 has suggested, and even then you may still run up on payload issues and need to go HD depending on what camper you want. If your priority is off-road nimbleness, just be aware that will limit your camper options much more than the marketing materials will acknowledge.

Anyway, that's three votes for a GMC product as the interior is really well done for this class in terms of fitting taller folks. I'd say it's worth trying one out to see. I have had very good experiences with my GM products and all have been fairly reliable -- they aren't the best, but they are far from the worst in terms of reliability. I absolutely love my Canyon for the comfort, power, and off-road capability (I'm rapidly warming up to the auto-locker...it just sorta works when it needs to -- and this thing is like a mountain goat off-road, very nimble and plucky) and recommend them whole heartedly.
Thanks for this detailed response I will be sure to keep that weight # in mind. Whatever I go with I will be sure to go the minimalist route - I am liking the Vagabond a lot

D

Deleted member 9101

I guess a single cab full size wouldn't be too much worse in terms of maneuverability.

The F150 regular bed looks like it could fit the bill - but it seems like the after market for bumpers and armor is limited. I dont get why those front bumpers hang down so low.

The bumpers hang down to cover the intercooler that's mounted inbetween the frame rails. Under the bumper is a 6" air damn to help with gas mileage.

There are tons of companies selling bumpers for F150s and a few soild options for skid plates.

Also, a regular cab, short bed with the 2.7 (my choice) or the 5.0 will be a blast to drive. ;-)

DRAX

I had a chance to drive my wife’s cousin’s F150 super crew with the 2.7EB and 10-speed on some trails in Colorado this summer (they were going on an overnight backpacking hike and her truck got a puncture so I dropped them off at the trail head and had her tire replaced). The 2.7 and the 10-speed are a great combo in that truck. Front seat room was more plentiful than my truck but the truck itself also felt much larger (both in width and length) than I would’ve thought it would (I’ve owned multiple full-size trucks, my Canyon is my first mid-size). It also had less ground clearance than my Canyon and both have the same size tires (hers are factory, mine aren’t) and stock suspensions, I scraped some rocks that my Canyon didn’t.

I had been considering going back to a full-size (1/2-ton diesel) to get more room in the back seat, but after driving her F-150 I said heck no. Sure, a regular cab would be shorter but it wouldn’t be narrower. Getting back in my Canyon it felt much more nimble and easier to navigate down the trails. Also much easier to park (My Canyon is a crew cab long bed so it’s the longest they come).

c6cd0edd4c3ed5f0ff0542ab8b18c391.jpg

Last edited:

llamalander

If you find a truck you like you might consider having an accessibility shop extend the seat rails back to make it fit. There are plenty of tricks to help pretty large people fit in pretty small cars. These folks might have some input about what is easy to modify and what is hopeless. If you're not in a wheelchair, it probably counts as an easy job for them...

Pinepig

You have to be one of those short leg tall folks, I'm 6'4" with a 38" inseam, I fit in my '19 SuperCrew Ranger perfectly, I don't even have the seat all the way back. Like you I found the Tacoma really bad.

Are you sure you had the seat adjusted for you correctly. There is a handle there to lower the seat bottom itself, makes a HUGE difference in headroom.

Last edited:

Amxguy1970

I can probably shed some excellent insight here on the GM twins. I am 6'5 and my dad is 6'4 and he has a Canyon (CCLB), leg room is plenty and we don't even have the seat all the way back. It is plenty comfortable, slightly awkward to get out of compared to my Silverado but the seat isn't as high up and the cab is a little shorter but no issues. Still very comfortable especially once the seats are broken in, we have had four people or my nephew in the back in a rear facing car seat just fine. Wouldn't do a long road trip like that but running around town it is just fine, just have to put the front seat up some which isn't uncomfortable. Some say the seats are uncomfortable but many manufacturers are just going with a stiffer seat so they last longer so they need to be broken in first. It is height adjustable so it does have a much more comfortable position than say a Tacoma (I haven't been in a new ranger yet). We have taken a few road trips in his truck of around 5 hours with out issue, I actually prefer his truck to mine, though mine is a little more comfortable with more room how his drives and the arm position and smaller size is preferable for me. I bought my truck just as the new twins were coming out so there wasn't any deals and I saved a ton on my Silverado so I went with that, next go around I will be getting the next gen Canyon/Colorado with a long bed (which my dad has) real similar to DRAX.

In terms of reliability that is why we have kept buying GM, with maintenance we have never been left on the side of the road or a massive repair regardless of the towing, hauling and off roading we have done. Our Gen 1 Colorado went around 130k with out issues, my dads current has around 50k with only the steering rack recall done, no other issues. My Silverado has 75k with some in water to the head lights and days in the back country with no issues, we have had a few Yukon Denali's go over 100k with out issue, two Astro vans which my dad says the first was the best vehicle he ever owned, it went nearly 200k with only an alternator before we sold it, it also towed a boat at its weight limit more than half its life all around the great lakes. We had an S10 that towed the same boat and went out in the back country of Colorado with again no issues. GM is a perfectly reliable vehicle and their drivetrains are known for lasting in most cases if you take care of it maintenance wise, now interior durability was another issue but I don't buy a vehicle based on that...

Tyler

drabina

I am 6'4" (or closer to 6'5" if you convert from cm to in) and I fit just fine in my 2018 Colorado. No issues whatsoever. With my seat in comfortable position my 14 years old kid can seat behind me though the legroom is only decent not great. Seats are comfortable too.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norcalmaier